Just back from cave tubing with Wet & Wild

CaribbeanCrazy

First let me say that I had no problems with Wet & Wild. They were on time picking us up and getting us back to the ship. They delivered all that is stated in the excursion description. If you plan on going cave tubing I would recommend this company.

Now for my opinion on cave tubing inself.

As far as the walk through the rain forest goes...I had no problems. You do walk on some uneven terrain....and there are alot of loose rocks and raised tree roots that you are walking over. There were also a few fairly steep steps in one or two spots. Are group was going at pretty fast pace to get ahead of the other groups. Again not a problem for me...but if you have a hard time walking this may not be good for you being as you have to keep up the pace for about 40 mins while carrying your tube.

The tubing itself is ALOT of work. I had a very hard time keeping up with the group once we got in the caves. There didn't seem to be much of a current inside the cave and I had to paddle like mad to try and keep up. I have shorter arms and not alot of upper body strength so I'm sure that was part of the problem. I didn't get to see much inside the caves because the lights they give you really aren't that bright...so the only way to see anything is to stay right by the guide. He has a bright spot light he shines on areas of interest. By the time I made it to the group...they were moving on so I saw nothing of the caves. Alot of the other people formed a train by linking there legs under each others tube. I wish I would have done this because it would have been alot easier. You have to do it right away though...otherwise it is too hard to catch up. Also if you suffer from any neck problems this is not the tour for you. My neck was killing me by the time we got back. I wasn't the only one either...I saw another very unhappy looking woman trying to hold her neck up with her hands. I ask her if her neck hurt too...and she said it was really sore. I could tell by the look on her face she wasn't having a good time.

The river was very low when we were there...so this was a big part of the problem. There were only a few spots where the current was strong enough to take you down the river without you having to paddle. The problem with this is that you have very little control of where you go. There are alot of big rocks and tree stumps in the water. I am really suprised that more people don't get hurt on this tour.

I will end this review by saying that in my opinion this tour is not for everyone. There were about 15 to 20 people on our tour. I over heard different comments from some of them and let me tell you....I was NOT the only one that didn't have a good time. I would NOT recommend this excursion to anyone over the age of 50...unless you are in very good physical condition with strong arms, shoulders and neck muscles. I think women more than men have problems with this tour. Although I did hear a few of the men complaining. Maybe if the river would have been higher...we would have had a more enjoyable time. This is not a tour for senior citizens. I know my parent would not have enjoyed this!

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

CaribbeanCrazy

I also just did the Wetn wild cave tube 2/16,we were on the Splendour. I agree with the points you made, but even with the lack of lighting and low water it was awesome. I agree this trip is not for everyone. By the end of the trip I was a little chilly too. But the scenery and natural beauty made up for it. If you have health problems I do not reccomend this trip. My wife has torn discs however and she had no problem. This trip is not "a walk in the park". But there is probably no other place on earth you can do this typae of trip. Great info CC! Our guides Charlie and Roberto did an awesome job. We later threw back a few Belikins(belizian beer) with them.

Harry

aqua

I did the shark tour with this co. It was great! The snorkeling part is a little callenging in that there were some currents you needed to be aware of. We saw nurse sharks and rays. You can get some realy nice shells there too. Our guide was Natale.

Harry

Since the initial post was about Wet N-Wild, I want to add my comments. I appreciate the reviews. We're booked with Wet N-Wild in June. I can't say enough about the personal attention we've received from Marvin. He's accommodated our group needs, adjusted time frames, and has answered each and every question promptly and professionally. We're looking forward to an awesome experience in June with Wet N-Wild.

Okay, I am so confused as what to do. I have heard many different reveiws. We are currently booked with Marvin for cave tubing/lunch off of the miracle on April 3rd, but after reading the work that this tour is I'm not so sure now.

Our group ages range from 8 y.o. to my grandmother (who is very very active, but does have neck problems from a fall) who is 70+ y.o. I do not want to aggrevate her neck injury or take the risk of doing such with a tour. I would love to do this tour and she really wants to do something exotic in Belize.

Any suggestions

Chelle

Chelle, I was on this tour on February 2nd with my family, my daughter who is 15, my husband and myself, we are in our 40's.

We had a GREAT time! Our guides were the best, especially Charlie!! He knows everything about the island, from the plants to the culture to the food. You will learn a lot. But there is a lot of walking and once you get into the caves you do have to use your arms most of the time to paddle. To be honest, I do not exercise at all and I had no problems. But I am not sure how a 8 y o and a 70 y o would do. I would e-mail Marvin and ask him.

Just wondering...has it been particularly dry in Belize? We went cavetubing with Yhony on Feb. 9 and the water was low in many places. We had to use our arms alot to keep up. I don't remember reading much about this problem before we went and I read many reviews on this site. Could lack of rain be the problem

Check out the Belize weather site http://www.belizenet.com/weather/climate.html It appears maybe June and July get alittle more rain.

When we did this trip Feb 8th, we asked about the water depths. The guide said he has seen times where you were thru both caves and out within 20 minutes due to swift currents. It took us atleast 1 1/2 hours. Being the tropics, according to him weather can be unpredicatable. It does appear the "dry season" begins in December and lasts till April or May.

I agree that this trip requires work. It was, however, one of the best tours I have ever taken while cruising. The caves are "other worldly" as someone put it on our tour. If you feel you won't be able to keep up by rowing, jocky for about the 3rd-6th position when everyone links up, it might help. I happened to have a brighter head light on the tour and was able to see all of the formations and just check out different aspects of the caves. Some head lights were dim by the end of the cave tour. Perhaps a quick check (sheltered by hands) when they hand out your light and ask for it to be exchanged if already dim. They do run on small batteries so if you leave it on all thru the caves, you will run the battery down fast. I often turned off my light.

I am a plus size and didn't exactly "skim" over the rocks. I polished plenty of stones and took home a few souvenirs from one or three of those submerged rock formations. I probably had a little harder time not only due to size but also the fact that I took acover up" jacket that ended up absorbing lots of excess water weight. I tied it around my neck which put some strain on the neck (I also have a weird neck curvature) CarribeanCrazy, you are absolutely right, there is something about the way you flex your neck while tubing, perhaps coupled with the rowing, that tended to cause quite a bit of strain. I, too was holding the back of my neck just to keep it upright at the end of the trip. I also could not "slither" over that last 100 yards of rock bed and actually walked the last little bit.

Had I missed this trip and simply heard about it, I would have been upset with myself for not going. Opportunities like this just don't present themselves often, even when cruising to exotic locations. Is this trip for everybody - no. Someone with limited range of motion in the neck, arms or legs is going to have difficulty. Would I do it again - yes. Despite the neck discomfort and the bruised butt - I absolutely loved this trip!

Lois2 - How was the trip with Yhony? Were there many in your group? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated as we are debating going with him in April. We will have our 9 & 13 year old girls with us.

Reneek - who did you go with?

Thanks all!

Sandy

Hi Sandy, We had a great day. We were paired up with a group of 6 and given Eloy as a guide. My husband and I are in are 50's so we were always lagging behind and Eloy would always come back and help us catch up. He took good care of us. We passed the cruise ship's tour on the path and their group was huge! We were happy to be in a small group. Eloy also talked to us all during the drive, about the country, the people and anything you wanted to know. He made a lot of jokes and made the day fun for us. If you book with Yhony and ask for Eloy, I'm sure he would take good care of your girls. He also made arrangements for lunch after the tubing. It wasn't included but it was only $5 and it was very good. The trip itself was $45. Am I happy I went? Absolutely! As Reenek said, it really was otherworldly, a real opportunity to do something totally unique.

Sandy, We had lunch at the restaurant right by the spot where we picked up the tubes. Eloy put our orders in before we left for tubing so it would be ready for us when we returned. It was barbecued chicken, beans and rice & cole slaw. It was a big lunch for $5.

In Costa Maya we went to Chacchoben Ruins with Ivan Cohuo and once again were lucky with our guide. He gave us David, who had amazing knowledge of the Mayan people, history, etc. He also told us alot about the area and the people and the changes now that they are a cruise stop. Once again, small group, individual attention, leisurely pace. We got back to Majuhual (where you meet up with and are dropped off from the tour) in plenty of time to go to Tapas for lunch and margaritas on the beach.

In Cozumel we shopped all morning and then went to Chackanaab Park on our own ($12 taxi ride) Your girls would love it there, it has snorkeling, palapa restaurants, a lagoon, sealions, dolphins, botanical gardens, etc.

Grand Cayman wasn't a great day for us, we went on a tour of Georgetown to Turtle Farm, Hell, Rum Cake factory. Most people swim with stingrays or snorkle. If I go again Rum Point seems like a nice beach to spend the day.

Went cave tubing with Wet N Wild last week - February 15th. I took my 10 year old son by myself on this cruise. I found this tour company to be great. We had Charlie as our guide and HE WAS GREAT! The walk through the jungle was fast but fun and informative. We walked quickly to stay away from other larger groups. Charlie pointed out things like Mahogany trees, termite nests and pineapples. Very cool. When we got into the water he made it easy for us because he had my son hook onto the back of his tube and I in turn hooked on behind my son. Some friends hooked on to the back of my tube. Although the water is cold the tour is worth it. We had a great time. Keep in mind that it is quite a bit of work - even attached to Charlie. I had rotator cuff surgery a year ago and this tour gave my shoulder quite a work out. Additionally the water is very cold.

I initially had some reluctance about taking my son because of his age. The caves are very dark and there are bats on the ceiling. I was worried that he would freak out but he was fine. I don't think I would recommend taking a child younger than that though.

The restaurant we went to eat afterwards was great fun. Had some great food and local beer.

This tour really added to our trip and I AM SO GLAD we booked with Wet N Wild. Our group size was much smaller than the other groups we saw and I think we got more personalilzed attention.

If you are in good shape I would highly recommend this tour. I had a great experience with this company and though they did a great job of taking care of us.

Good luck and have fun. :) :D

srocc20655, we are booked with Wet-N-Wild in June. We have 20 of us from the CC group cruise on Valor and Marvin is giving us our own van for the excursion. Can you tell me how long the trip from the port to the cave is, the walk, the actual tubing, and lunch? Thanx!

Thanks everyone for all of your reviews and tips. Lois, the girls have gone to Chankanaab before and enjoyed it. Think we will try something different this time.

We still keep going back and forth between booking with Marvin or Yhony. One daughter definitely wants one and the rest of us go back and forth. I know, we should just make a decision and be done with it, but I keep coming back to these boards to read everyone's experiences. Thanks for sharing!

When you went with Yhony, and you first entered the water, was there an option to do the 15' jump into the water? From what I have read, with the other tour companies, they must start from the place where this can be done. I haven't seen groups going with Yhony mention this part. His price is less than other tours, but if we do this, my kids will want to jump. Just one more factor in our decision on what to do in Belize and who with. Thanks

We went tubing with X-stream cave tubing on our Elation cruise. I an 60 and wife is 56. Both out of shape. It was a lot of work constantly paddling thru the caves but fun. We have been tubing before in New Braunsfels (sp) so we knew how to do it. About 20 in our group. A couple of ladies in their 70's had to have some help. Our guide, Thomas, was a great help and pointed out the things of interest on our walk. No one in our group bought the bbq lunch. Our guide provided watermellon, pinapple, bannanas and something else I can't remember, for free. It was a great excursion and well worth going on, ONCE.

You don't have to jump 15 feet into the river.

Kidfanz, We were given the option. 2 people did the 12' jump and the other 6 of us went in the easy way. You hold onto a rope and fall onto your tube while the guide holds it. Its about a foot drop and very easy and fun.

scsagh - We went with Marvin's Wet and Wild on our trip 2/8. We cruised on Grand Princess. We only had 14 in our group versus the 30 - 50 + people on other groups we passed. That makes a difference as these independents take fewer people and are able to move faster and farther. Our hike thru the jungle was about 45 minutes at a steady, but not gruelling pace. We stopped to observe certain vegetation and almost all of us ate a termite (like a dirty mint) We passed up the larger tour groups and were the only ones around when we got in the water. We went thru 2 caves, they went thru 1. Also note that cruise ship groups are required to wear a life jacket. We had life jackets strapped to our tubes, which yes did add to the drag, but atleast I didn't have to wear the thing. I am not "in shape" but made the walk with ease. We were in the water a minimum of 1 1/2 hours - didn't time it exactly. We stopped to discuss cave structures and absorb the feel of the cave and lingered at the one beautiful area of jungle actually intruding into a caved-in portion. So it was not actually row, row, row all the time.

Again, my own opinion is that this is an opportunity to see and experience something out of the ordinary. These caves were only discovered ten years ago. Evidence that Mayans occupied these caves has been documented. The Mayans believed the sun and moon arose or was birthed in the caves. The caves are still held sacred by native Mayans who continue to live in the mountainous areas. I am unsure if the full exploration of these caves has been made or even documented. Some may think it boring, something that could be recreated at Disney World. I find the real thing pretty awesome and plan to do a little more research to find out a little more about them. I didn't hear everything the guide said so am still intrigued.

We too, were on the 2/15 tour with Charlie of Wet & Wild and I specifically asked for him since he received high praise from what I read on these boards. We have to say we just loved him. He was very informative. He gave special care to a 10 year old boy in our group, in fact, he never left this boy's tube. The caves were beautiful, the bats, the waterfalls in the caves, the formations. Very nice. We went through 4 caves which Charlie said was equivalent to approx. a mile. It was cold. My neck did hurt at the end, however, I also suffered previously from neck problems from going to Cedar Point and taking a few too many rides, my neck has never been the same. I think the first poster was talking about me because I was trying to hold my neck up at the end. I too, think it is the position you are sitting in on the tube. It really helps to hook up with someone else or hook up with Charlie's line. There are "dead" spots-places with no current. I am sure you can discuss this with Marvin and he may be flexable to take you through fewer caves. Also the 10 year old was right behind Charlie on the walk to the caves. He probably set the pace. Charlie does ask everyone if everyone is OK with the pace. If you do not like the pace, make sure you speak up. The jungle was very nice also and the walk is almost entirely in the shade so you do not need sunscreen. Make sure you get a good nights rest before you take the tour. The lunch at Amigos was very good. They have a beautiful parrot at the back of the restuarant. My underwater Kodak camera did not take good pictures in the cave. Take your pictures along the way and before and after you enter the caves. Everything gets wet, if you wear a shirt, it will get soaked when you fall gently onto your tube from the rope. I am really glad I did this excursion.:)

Whew! Crusin 2,

If you've riden too many rides at Cedar Point, than you are more adventurous than I....(Have two college age kids who've spent summers working up there)....Think I'll try something a little less strenous in Belize....(Over 50 and somewhat out of shape)!:);)

Chelle,

If your 8 year old hooks up to the guide...he will be fine. Plus they have smaller tubes for the kids. I agree that Charlie did take good care of the young boy in our group.

As for your grandmother...if she has neck problems...I woundn't chance it. This is just my opinion...but like I said my neck was killing me at the end of this tour.

I'm glad to hear that so many of you on the 2-15th tour enjoyed yourselves. I guess I am the minority.:(

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going on this tour...I just want people to realize that it is not for everyone. I read all the rave reviews before I left...with very few complaints. Frankly I'm suprised that there aren't more people who had trouble on this tour. Sometimes I think that people are afraid to post their true feelings...if they are negative. They are afraid to be flamed. I think that all opinions should be given...so that there is a true picture of what to expect. Remember we all experience things in our own way.

BTW I'm glad noone flamed me for sharing my experience.:)

I forgot to mention in my orginal post...that lunch at Amigos was good. Try the Beliken Beer (not sure if I spelled it right) It was really good...and cheap!

CaribbeanCrazy

MobileMystic - please never tell me that 50 is a detriment to cave tubing- I am only a year or so away and hubby is 5+ years over. I am hitting 50 and also out of shape - yet I survived and now have some great memories. Actually we laughed that the ride there and back deserved the "I survived" t-shirt. I too "don't do" roller costers. This was much better than snow skiing or mountain climbing - which I have sworn never to do again!

CaribbeanCrazy - Oh, for a beer at the end of that trip! A smart person would set up a riverside stand! :eek:

Archived