Good deals on Cameras or photo equipment - St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

stlewis98

I know how wonderful St. Thomas is to buy jewelry and am looking to buying some more while I'm there :) My husband has recently gotten into photography so I am wondering if there are good deals on camera or particularly lenses there for the Canon EOS series. We'll also be in St. Maarten so if anyone knows if either of these have good deals, please let me know.

Last year we were on a Western Caribbean itinerary and found no place that had good deals.

No biggie if we don't but if it happens to be a good place we'll be more inclined to look and buy.

Thanks.

Susie

I would suggest you contact Canon to see if they have any authorized dealers in St. Thomas or St. Martin. Some cameras are considered black market or they may have a Latin American warranty rather than a USA warranty which can be trouble if the camera ever needs repaired.

I am in the market for a new Nikon since my six year old D70 is not working as well as it once did and at this point is not worth repairing. I called Nikon and they told me that Boolchand's in St. Thomas is an authorized dealer and that they would have USA warranty items. I contacted them directly and found that their price is $250 less than what I can get on the internet (plus I save $95 in sales tax). Guess where I am headed the minute I get off the ship??

Thanks so much. I had done some more searching here on the board and found that almost everyone mentioned Boolchand's so I will be headed there too. Great points about being aware of whether stores are authorized dealers. I was scammed last year in Cozumel on a jewelry purchase so that will teach me. I think I will give them a call also to see what price they have on the camera and lenses my husband is looking for. Thanks again.

The last time I priced a lens for my EOS 20D at Boolchand's, a couple years ago, they would not meet the internet price; they were about $200 above it. Most all camera equipment in St. Thomas will come with an international warranty, not a US warranty. However, if they tell you the warranty is good in the US, ask to see the warranty. Having an international warranty means that in the event of a problem, you would have to send the camera back to Japan. These are not black market items. In the US, you can purchase "grey market" equipment with non-US warranties from most of the online sellers (Adorama, 42nd St., etc.).

Boolchand's and Royal Caribbean are listed as authorized Canon dealers in St. Thomas. I believe Boolchand's has stores downtown and at the Havensight Mall (West Indies Cruise Ship Dock).

You may save sales tax, but if the camera is over $600, you may owe customs duty when you return to the US.

Art

Most all camera equipment in St. Thomas will come with an international warranty, not a US warranty. However, if they tell you the warranty is good in the US, ask to see the warranty. Having an international warranty means that in the event of a problem, you would have to send the camera back to Japan. Boolchand's and Royal Caribbean are listed as authorized Canon dealers in St. Thomas. I believe Boolchand's has stores downtown and at the Havensight Mall (West Indies Cruise Ship Dock).

You may save sales tax, but if the camera is over $600, you may owe customs duty when you return to the US.

Art

Hi Art, I purchased a Canon camera and lens at Boolchands in St. Maarten. I was able to get a T2i there long before it was widely available in the United States. The price was comparable to internet prices (except no one here had it in stock), and I got enough freebies thrown in to make it worth my while.

The warranty is a Canon Latin America version. Their offices are located in Miami. I wouldn't have to send it to Japan for repair. Luckily, the camera and lens work flawlessly so I haven't had to use the warranty yet.

For me, the knowledgable salesman was a big plus for me. I planned on buying a Nikon, but ended up with the Canon afer a side-by-side comparison. When I got home and realized I misplaced the reciept, I emailed the salesperson and he immediately emailed me a copy. I have faith in Boolchands (but wasn't impressed with another electronics shop on the island).

Hi, MDSue,

You did well. I noticed that St. Thomas is listed on the Canon website as within their Latin American marketing area. The offices may be in Miami (about 1 1/2 hours drive south of me), but I doubt they do repairs there. I would guess, then, that warranty repairs would be done somewhere in that area. Mexico? I think it would still require shipping outside the US.

Good choice, Canon. After many years of using several models of Minoltas, I settled on Canon for digital. My EOS 20D, now about 4 years old, has racked up about 33,000 images and still going. I'm about to order the EOS 7D.

Would the other electronics shop be Royal Caribbean (not related to the cruise line)?

Art

Thanks Art and Sue. My husband is looking for a T2i in addition to lenses and other accessories. Art, I've read that the Royal Caribbean store is not associated with the cruise line. We will definitely check out internet prices first and I'll have printed copies on hand to negotiate as needed. Good point about checking the warranty and the Duty Tax; we'll make sure we stay under limit. Will post how we make out after we are back from the cruise. Thanks again for your help.

Hi, MDSue,

You did well. I noticed that St. Thomas is listed on the Canon website as within their Latin American marketing area. The offices may be in Miami (about 1 1/2 hours drive south of me), but I doubt they do repairs there. I would guess, then, that warranty repairs would be done somewhere in that area. Mexico? I think it would still require shipping outside the US.

Good choice, Canon. After many years of using several models of Minoltas, I settled on Canon for digital. My EOS 20D, now about 4 years old, has racked up about 33,000 images and still going. I'm about to order the EOS 7D.

Would the other electronics shop be Royal Caribbean (not related to the cruise line)?

Art

Hi Art, The other store wasn't Royal Caribbean. I bought at the St. Maarten Boolchands and haven't shopped for cameras in the St. Thomas store. I hate to mention the name of the store in St. Maarten that I was totally unimpressed with. I wanted to comparison shop and the difference between Boolchands and this store was night and day. When I asked for the Nikon D90 (my first choice), the first place gave me a boxed D90 and a price similar to the US- no instructions, no comparisons, no freebies, or anything to make me want to buy. It was no different than if I walked into a WalMart and bought it off a shelf- a retailer and nothing more.

When I walked into Boolchands, the store was well set up, full of inventory, and had a great salesman. He showed me the D90 and compared it to the brand new Canon T2i and gave me the pros and cons of each. I was able to try out and learn about each camera. As a beginner in the DSLR field, he gave me great advice on what lens would work best for my needs. The camera was set up and ready to go before I left the store and I knew it was in good working order. I'm not sure if the St. Thomas store is as impressive but I will find out this spring on my next cruise.

I will probably stop in to check them out. I'll research the prices of some lens and an underwater camera that I'm interested in and see how they compare. I think if someone knows exactly what they want to purchase, it may be better to order from an online retailer or a local photography store, but Ive had such good luck with my purchase abroad that I may end up buying from them again.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Art, The other store wasn't Royal Caribbean. I bought at the St. Maarten Boolchands and haven't shopped for cameras in the St. Thomas store. I hate to mention the name of the store in St. Maarten that I was totally unimpressed with. I wanted to comparison shop and the difference between Boolchands and this store was night and day. When I asked for the Nikon D90 (my first choice), the first place gave me a boxed D90 and a price similar to the US- no instructions, no comparisons, no freebies, or anything to make me want to buy. It was no different than if I walked into a WalMart and bought it off a shelf- a retailer and nothing more.

When I walked into Boolchands, the store was well set up, full of inventory, and had a great salesman. He showed me the D90....

Hi MDSue, as I understand, the first store you've visited wasn't the Boolchands.

Several days ago I also have visited the St. Maarten Boolchands and bought Nikon D90 that I wanted. May be you are that person who has bought a Canon T2i before of me. Service was perfect (saleperson Elena) and prices also matched to lowest on the Internet without taxes and shipping fee.

I also was supplied by the case, battery charger, two straps (for camera and case) and polarized filter. All that staff not always providing by stores on the Internet. I also replaced the standard lens for better type.

I am did not check all features of camera yet, but basic what I've used working great.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, MDSue,

Art

Art, did you end up purchasing the Canon 7d? I am thinking about purchasing that camera. I bought the Canon Rebel XS from Boolchands two years ago for $420, which in the US, it was selling for $599+.

Thanks!

Andrew

Haven't ordered the 7D yet - still hoping the prices would fall. I also didn't even look at them in St. Thomas, although after the St. John tour we only stayed at Havensight Mall. After I got back, tried to print some photos on my old Canon i950 and got the "printhead problem" blinking light warning. So now I need both a new camera and printer.

Art

Hi MDSue, as I understand, the first store you've visited wasn't the Boolchands.

Several days ago I also have visited the St. Maarten Boolchands and bought Nikon D90 that I wanted. May be you are that person who has bought a Canon T2i before of me. Service was perfect (saleperson Elena) and prices also matched to lowest on the Internet without taxes and shipping fee.

I also was supplied by the case, battery charger, two straps (for camera and case) and polarized filter. All that staff not always providing by stores on the Internet. I also replaced the standard lens for better type.

I am did not check all features of camera yet, but basic what I've used working great.

Hello, I'm glad you were able to get a good deal on the Nikon D90 at Boolchands. My salesperson was Rocky and he did a great job. He was obviously very well-knowledged in the field. Even though I bought a Canon, the D90 is a fabulous camera as well. On a recent trip, another person had a nice Nikon DSLR and I was very impressed with the picture quality.

I was at a local Costco yesterday and they had the Canon t2i on sale for about $1250 with a cheaper lens than the one I got in St. Maarten. I paid that amount for the same camera with a better lens. The local stores are just now starting to carry the camera that I bought last spring from Boolchands. I'm still in love with my camera and gave yet to find a better deal here in the states.

Archived