Just back from Transatlantic - quick review and crackers question

normannna

Hi

Just back from a last minute QM2 transatlantic - Southampton to New York. Was something I'd wanted to do for a while even though I've done a few RCI transatlantics from the USA to Europe.

Overall

We enjoyed the trip overall and was relaxing. The crossing was extremely smooth and while too windy to be out on deck on a couple of days I enjoyed getting out on deck most days and getting some fresh air on our obstructed balcony cabin. I had a view of the sea between 2 lifeboats but even if you don't you still get plently of light on these balconies as I was glad the lifeboats weren't as close to the balcony blocking out light as I had envisaged.

Food

Food in the dining room (Britannia) was excellent but didn't try for breakfast or lunch but heard that lunch was good from other passengers. Food at the buffet while not bad could have been better - the food never seemed to be hot unless you ordered a burger or fries from the Chefs Galley. Also, I was disappointed in the salad offerings and low fat dressings. Afternoon tea from 3.30 to 4.30 was lovely with great scones and cake selection with some finger sandwhiches. I found the cream available for desserts and scones exceedingly sweet and not really to my taste so was good for my waistline by giving this a miss.

Internet

I know we're at sea using a satellite connection but the internet connection was exceptionally slow ( more so than other ships I've used across the transatlantic). I heard quite a few other passengers commenting on this - I used our parents 'Gold' 2 hour free allowance but they offer a short 30 min or 15 minute package on the last sea day which is good for using for flight check in - they don't advertise this in advance for obvious reasons.

Cracker question

I'm not a great fan of rice crackers but those used in Britannia dining room were really excellent but forgot to ask the waiter for the name. If anyone knows this or are about to set sail and can find out what brand they are - I'd be very happy if you would post it.

Hope this quick review has been of help to someone

Archived