Electric Scooter Questions for possible Med Cruise on Magic

cruisinskier

Hi all. We are sooooo close to booking on the Magic for the May 1 inaugural from Venice to Barcelona for a small group of us. However before we book we need to get some questions answered in regards to travelling with an electric scooter. A friend who would be joining us uses a scooter for mobility purposes. We have not yet booked a flight but does anyone know if the airlines charge to transport a scooter when it is for mobility purposes? We thought about renting a scooter in Europe however with this cruise starting in Venice and ending in Barcelona it does not appear to be feasible.

Does anyone have any history with using a scooter in Venice as that is where we would be starting with a couple of nights pre-cruise? Can you take the scooter on the water taxis in Venice? Any issues with other Med ports? Which voltage would the ship be using in Europe (would we need converters?)? How hard is it to charge (we will try to get them a handicapped room if possible which I understand has larger entrance doors so the scooter could be kept in the cabin at night).

We would also be interested in hearing any feedback from anyone who has used a scooter on the Dream as that would give us an idea as to how mobile the sister ship will be once the Magic is in service.

Thanks and appreciate your assistance!!

Hi all. We are sooooo close to booking on the Magic for the May 1 inaugural from Venice to Barcelona for a small group of us. However before we book we need to get some questions answered in regards to travelling with an electric scooter. A friend who would be joining us uses a scooter for mobility purposes. We have not yet booked a flight but does anyone know if the airlines charge to transport a scooter when it is for mobility purposes? We thought about renting a scooter in Europe however with this cruise starting in Venice and ending in Barcelona it does not appear to be feasible.

Does anyone have any history with using a scooter in Venice as that is where we would be starting with a couple of nights pre-cruise? Can you take the scooter on the water taxis in Venice? Any issues with other Med ports? Which voltage would the ship be using in Europe (would we need converters?)? How hard is it to charge (we will try to get them a handicapped room if possible which I understand has larger entrance doors so the scooter could be kept in the cabin at night).

We would also be interested in hearing any feedback from anyone who has used a scooter on the Dream as that would give us an idea as to how mobile the sister ship will be once the Magic is in service.

Thanks and appreciate your assistance!!

I don't know about the scooter stuff as far as Europe goes, but I have been to Venice and it is not too scooter friendly. I almost think for Venice, you would be better off with a wheel chair that is smaller and could fold up. That would be your only hope of getting on the vaporetto. The water taxis are big gondolas pretty much that everyone stands on. Hopefully you will get answers from people who have used them, but just from a practical point, in Venice a smaller foldable wheelchair would be better.

We were on the Dream, and several people had scooter with no problem. I do not think on the ship would be a problem, but many places in Italy, including Venice are old with uneven ground that would make it difficult.

Thanks viaggi_per_mare. I kind of assumed Venice would not be scooter friendly which was one of the reasons for my post.

On a positive note, I have continued my research and may have answered a couple of my own questions. In randomly reviewing 2 airline websites (Air Canada and Air France), both confirmed they do not charge additional fees for transporting a scooter used for mobility purposes.

I have also identified two major companies who service the cruise lines for rentals of scooters and related equipment. They are www.cruiseshipassist.com and www.specialneedsatsea.com . Both of these companies appear to service numerous international ports.

I would still love to hear from some folks who have done the Med with a scooter or wheelchair. Thanks

My mom has a eletric scooter and the cruise line in excellent. Just book a handicap room with special services. The ships have US electrical current.

I know most airlines don't charge for scooters.

SHe has never been to Europe but I know from research I have come across many websites and books with handicap accessible Venice.

Hope you can make it work out.

Archived