Disembarking in Singapore - Diamond Princess

CPOCMAN

I checked on disembarkation on the Singapore Cruise Center's website and see that Diamond Princess will be docked at a gateway site outside of the actual cruise center terminal areas for our arrival on 5 December. For those that have previously taken this cruise and disembarked on their own, how did you manage to get your luggage from the ship to areas where you can take taxi's at. It appears that there is some type of free shuttle to Singapore City which works for us as we are at the Sheraton there post cruise but not sure if it runs so early in the morning based on our arrival time. Can anyone provide their experiences with disembarking on their own in Singapore and how did you get to the City center if you did it on your own or recommend we wait for the shuttles. Would you recommend that we use Princess Transfers to Changi Airport and then get transportation from there, back to the city center?

I would just get a taxi straight to city center. The taxi drivers in Singapore were great every time I used one (I was on a business trip, I ended up hiring one of the drivers for an hour for a whirlwind tour)

I checked on disembarkation on the Singapore Cruise Center's website and see that Diamond Princess will be docked at a gateway site outside of the actual cruise center terminal areas for our arrival on 5 December. For those that have previously taken this cruise and disembarked on their own, how did you manage to get your luggage from the ship to areas where you can take taxi's at. It appears that there is some type of free shuttle to Singapore City which works for us as we are at the Sheraton there post cruise but not sure if it runs so early in the morning based on our arrival time. Can anyone provide their experiences with disembarking on their own in Singapore and how did you get to the City center if you did it on your own or recommend we wait for the shuttles. Would you recommend that we use Princess Transfers to Changi Airport and then get transportation from there, back to the city center?

Changi Airport is a great airport, but it's pretty far from City Center. No reason to go there unless you are flying outbound. I agree with the previous posters. Grab a taxi at the port and go into town. Almost everyone speaks English, and the cabs are pleantiful and inexpensive.

Changi Airport is a great airport, but it's pretty far from City Center. No reason to go there unless you are flying outbound. I agree with the previous posters. Grab a taxi at the port and go into town. Almost everyone speaks English, and the cabs are pleantiful and inexpensive.

We agree. Changi Airport is far (in Singapore terms) past the City Center. There is absolutely no reason to go there to get a taxi.

Note: The trunks/boots on standard taxis are not huge, and it you have a lot of luggage they may use a bungee cord to secure the lid.

Also, I believe there are typically larger ~Maxicabs~ around when ships arrive which will take you anyplace on the island for a (more expensive) fixed fee.

Agree with DanDP too. On the taxi, you can rent a limo (nice taxi) for about 25 US to go anywhere on the island. I lived in Singapore for 3 years (attached to the American Embassy) and had a great time. Taxi's are cheap, and the MRT is on-time and inexpensive. If you have a specific place to go (like the Airport or a hotel) rent one of the limos (again, these are not real limos, just really nice taxi's) that have larger trunks (boots).

Enjoy! Love this city!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have a link for the limo service? We sould like to spend a few hours in Singapore before our flight.

Here is the site for one of several companies which have limousines.

There is a very high probability that there will be (expensive) fixed rate limos available when you land - they will be happy to arrange something by the hour.

If you have a normal amount of luggage, a normal Mercedes taxi would probably meet your needs and be quite comfortable.

Archived