St. Thomas or St. Maarten Better for Jewelry Shopping?

Frugalist

Even 5 years ago, St Thomas was considered better shopping. In the last year or so, St Maarten has surpassed St Thomas. I don't know if it is because St Thomas is a US Virgin Island or not, but the best deals are definitely on St Maarten.

My favorite is Kays Jewelers. They have a shop right at the pier now and also the original one in town. I went to both in December and the one at the pier has just as much selection and the same great prices. No matter where you go, bargain...bargain....bargain. You should never pay the first price quoted.

It's important to really know your prices on jewlery. I bought a watch in St. Martin that was suposed to be a bargain. To be honest, I didn't get taken but I can buy the same watch every day of the week at the same price right here in hometown USA. Be careful and know the value if you're going to purchase. You might find a better deal right down the street from your house.

If you are on Princess, make sure you talk to the shopping consultant and ask for the VIP card with the manager's name of any recommended stores. Negotiate the best price and then ask for the manager's price. Something we learned this cruise which saved us a bundle!

It's important to really know your prices on jewlery. I bought a watch in St. Martin that was suposed to be a bargain. To be honest, I didn't get taken but I can buy the same watch every day of the week at the same price right here in hometown USA. Be careful and know the value if you're going to purchase. You might find a better deal right down the street from your house.

The point quoted above is worth emphasizing. Have an idea of prices and quality before you go.

Though I have made purchases in both I have to say I think St Maarten is better. I like Ballerina's in town and have also heard Kay's is a great place too.

I buy what I like, haggle on the price and never find out if I was taken in price and just enjoy what I have purchased.

St Maarten hands down! I agree with the above posters.........know your prices, never accept the offered price and check out the other stores so you will have a point of reference for haggling. For example, cigarettes in one store were 14.95 but in another store they sold them to us for 13 a carton once we let them know we were going to keep looking. Check out several jewelry stores before you buy. Let the shopkeepers know that you have been pricing in other stores they will vie for your business. Then haggle!! Don't hesitate to bargain, it's half the fun and they store owners expect it.

I have purchased a lot of jewelry on both islands. In St Maarten I shop at Majesty Jewelers-ask for Max-he is great!

In St Thomas I shop at Grand jewelers-ask for Lena-she is the owner. My family and I have bought many pieces at Grand & have always been very pleased with the quality as well as the price.

Nancy

There are good jewelry stores with good prices on both islands. But if you're a US citizen, your customs allowance is much higher on St. Thomas. I think it's double, $1,600 per person instead of $800. And the duty on the excess is at a lower rate. If you spend more than $800 in St Maarten you've blown the extra allowance and the lower rate even if you buy items in St Thomas.

I know a lot of people try to sneak jewelry into the country. But if you're buying a big ticket item like a diamond you're probably going to be carrying the receipt back with you and that could be very risky. Tom.

As a previous poster stated - You get double the duty free allowance on items purchased in St Thomas. My wife likes Cardow in St Thomas, both at Havensight Mall and downtown, and in St Maarten, Kay(ask for Sam), and especially DK Gems(Deepti is a sweetheart).

dickmac in cold lockport ny

2001 - Celebrity Galaxy

2002 - RCCL Adventure of the Seas

2002 - HAL Maasdam

2004 - Dawn Princess

2005 - Caribbean Princess(less than 2 weeks - 3/5/05)

Got the better deals at Kays, in St. Maarten.

Minette

Agree with Minette. Kays is one of the best. It has no association with Kay Jewelers in the States. There are two, go to the one which is next door to DK Gems, also a good store. Just tell them you have conversed with people who have used them frequently. :)

I have no interest in any of these two stores except buying stuff :D

The last piece I bough from Joe's in Sint Maarten just appraised last week at triple what I paid. I do tend to haggle a lot but I like to leave the vendor happy with the deal...

The theory goes that the prices are better in Sint Maarten because they know that your next stop is probably St Thomas. The Sint Maarten vendors want the sale to belong to them.

My friend buys a lot of jewelery on trips and likes Cardow in STT. At the back of the shop is a sale area and she has done well there. Also likes the combo liquor/jewelery store to the left of the docking area. About a block away. They don't like credit cards and you do better w/cash.

I have had the best luck in St. Thomas at Grand Jewlers

Talk to Manu and Navine the owners

You will get a heck of a deal

tell them Randy from syracuse ny sent you...they will treat you like GOLD !!!!!

have fun and tell them I said hi.

Randy

Hello to all. We have been to St. Thomas on various cruises over the years. Diamond International was one of the shops that we would head for as they seemed to have very good prices. About 5 yrs ago, I purchased my wife a very nice 1/2 ct diamond. We were very pleased about the deal that we got on the stone.

In 2003 we were planning to take a Southern Carib. cruise and would stop in St. Thomas. I was planing to up grade my wife's wedding set by stepping up to a 1 ct. diamond of very good quality. I contacted numerous local diamond stores to get best price bassed on specific quality standards. I then called Diamond International in St. Thomas on the phone and adv. that we would be in their area and requested that they have stones of the specific grade and quality for us to look at.

When we made port in St. Thomas, we went to Diamond International and spoke with the lady that I conversed with on the phone. She remembered our conversaiton and had some stones for us to look at. They were good stones about equal in quality to stones here in the states that I had price quotes on. When I asked about a price quote from her, she was very high. I informed her that I could get the same stone for substantially less here state side asking her if that was the best price. She informed me that it was and started to become very pushy. By the time that we got up and walked out of the store, she was down right rude.

We ended up purchasing the diamond in Aruba for substantially less. We have had the stone appraised here in the states and the quality was as stated.

Your best bet in purchasing jewelry while on the cruise is to KNOW YOUR PRICES.

I hope that this helps.

Happy cruising.

Chris Neville

75 days till our Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess.

Archived