Baltimore disembarkation questions

Post Captain

Although we've sailed in and out of New York and Bayonne many times, we will soon be doing our first cruise out of Baltimore. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience disembarking at the Port of Baltimore at the end of the cruise, regarding the following questions:

1. If the ship (Mercury) is due to dock at Baltimore at 7 a.m. at the end of a cruise, at what time can we reasonably expect to disembark? (Based on "standard" disembarkation, not any kind of "priority" disembarkation.)

2. How much time does it normally take to collect luggage and get through customs/immigration and out to the taxi queue? (I assume it shouldn't take any longer than it does at New York or Bayonne. Is this an accurate assumption?)

3. I assume there is an ample lineup of taxis at the terminal to meet disembarking passengers, yes? Once we are out of the terminal, how long can I expect to wait to get into a taxi?

4. Bottom line question: We will be returning home on Amtrak. I am thinking of booking a train departing Baltimore (Penn Station) around noon. Does that sound reasonable? Would it be safe to book an earlier train, or (on the other hand) would it be safer to book a slightly later train? (The earlier, the better. We don't want to wind up having to linger at Penn Station any longer than necessary, but by the same token, I don't want to take a chance by booking an early train that we might miss.)

With thanks in advance for any information/advice,

Post Captain

Although we've sailed in and out of New York and Bayonne many times, we will soon be doing our first cruise out of Baltimore. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience disembarking at the Port of Baltimore at the end of the cruise, regarding the following questions:

1. If the ship (Mercury) is due to dock at Baltimore at 7 a.m. at the end of a cruise, at what time can we reasonably expect to disembark? (Based on "standard" disembarkation, not any kind of "priority" disembarkation.)

2. How much time does it normally take to collect luggage and get through customs/immigration and out to the taxi queue? (I assume it shouldn't take any longer than it does at New York or Bayonne. Is this an accurate assumption?)

3. I assume there is an ample lineup of taxis at the terminal to meet disembarking passengers, yes? Once we are out of the terminal, how long can I expect to wait to get into a taxi?

4. Bottom line question: We will be returning home on Amtrak. I am thinking of booking a train departing Baltimore (Penn Station) around noon. Does that sound reasonable? Would it be safe to book an earlier train, or (on the other hand) would it be safer to book a slightly later train? (The earlier, the better. We don't want to wind up having to linger at Penn Station any longer than necessary, but by the same token, I don't want to take a chance by booking an early train that we might miss.)

With thanks in advance for any information/advice,

Post Captain

Question #1. If the ship is on time and arrives at 7:00 AM, debarkation should be complete by 10:00 to 10:30. Your time of debarkation depends on the color tag that you get.

QUestion #2. Once your tag is called, no more than 30 minutes to get through customs and collect your luggage.

Question #3. There are plenty of TAXIS.

Question #4. As long as they ship is on time 12 Noon should be OK.

In would book the 12noon train. If you get to Penn station earlier, go to the ticket window, and see if you can get switched to an earlier train -- it will be no problem IF the erlier train isnt sold out, and you may have to pay more money if the earlier train's fare is higher.

Aloha,

John

Archived