Fitness classes?

I'll be on Explorer of the Seas in July 2011 for a 9-night cruise. Normally, I work out at home 6 days a week. I use workout DVDs from Beachbody. I do a lot of cardio, some light weights/resistance bands, ab work and stretching. I find machines at the gym incredibly boring, so I would like to try fitness classes on my cruise so I still get in my workouts. However, if they are not feasible for me, I can get through a workout on the elliptical, I just really prefer not to have to do that.

I have some questions about the fitness classes. If anyone can answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it!

1. Are fitness classes free? If not, how much do they cost?

2. Do they have some sort of cardio fitness class daily, or is it just yoga and stuff like that?

3. What time in the morning are fitness classes usually offered? What time later in the day?

4. Am I able to use the room where classes are held during hours when there is not a class going on? For example, if I want to work out at 6am, and there is no fitness class going on at that time, could I bring my portable DVD player (very small) with my workout DVD and work out in there?

5. Regarding Question #4, do you think I am crazy for even considering that? ;)

Thanks in advance for any info!

I'll be on Explorer of the Seas in July 2011 for a 9-night cruise. Normally, I work out at home 6 days a week. I use workout DVDs from Beachbody. I do a lot of cardio, some light weights/resistance bands, ab work and stretching. I find machines at the gym incredibly boring, so I would like to try fitness classes on my cruise so I still get in my workouts. However, if they are not feasible for me, I can get through a workout on the elliptical, I just really prefer not to have to do that.

I have some questions about the fitness classes. If anyone can answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. Do they have some sort of cardio fitness class daily, or is it just yoga and stuff like that?

3. What time in the morning are fitness classes usually offered? What time later in the day?

4. Am I able to use the room where classes are held during hours when there is not a class going on? For example, if I want to work out at 6am, and there is no fitness class going on at that time, could I bring my portable DVD player (very small) with my workout DVD and work out in there?

I would also like some info on fitness classes. I used to workout like you do but sadly I have stopped and gained back some of the weight I lost. I know I am going to get back into it and by the time my cruise comes along (in 17 months) I want to be back in tip top shape. I don't think you are crazy for considering using the fitness room. I know when I was exercising all the time my body would crave it. I think when I am on my cruise I will probably try to workout every other day. It is vacation after all! :-)

Since you like cardio based DVDs...have you tried Cathe Friedrich workouts? She is awesome!

Loralie

The only classes I've seen offered on RC are spinning, yoga and pilates. You can use the exercise area whenever there is not a class and they are at various times during the day. I don't think I've ever seen one offered at 6am:D.

The charge in June for these classes was $10.00. I've never done any of the classes so I don't know if they are worth it, but I do use the gym everyday. You will have the typical weight machines, free weights, elipticals, treadmills, and stationary bikes. There is also a jogging track outside , usually deck 11 or 12, but it is not really suited for running. Walking or moderate jogging works well.

Hope this helps!

Sherri:)

I was on the a 9N Explorer Cruise in Sept and enjoyed the fitness center. There were a variety of classes offered. Some free some with a nominal fee (I think around $10 but not sure). I didn't take the classes so sorry don't recall. There was a morning stretch class that I considered around 7:30am which was free.

What I did use was the treadmills. There was a variety of equipment you just walk up and use like excersise bikes etc. all free. Great view of the ocean too. Wish I had brought an ipod with headphones to enjoy.

If it had been warmer I would have been outside enjoying the ocean air walking- that is the best! We also did some active excursions like hiking too.

I would also like some info on fitness classes. I used to workout like you do but sadly I have stopped and gained back some of the weight I lost. I know I am going to get back into it and by the time my cruise comes along (in 17 months) I want to be back in tip top shape. I don't think you are crazy for considering using the fitness room. I know when I was exercising all the time my body would crave it. I think when I am on my cruise I will probably try to workout every other day. It is vacation after all! :-)

Since you like cardio based DVDs...have you tried Cathe Friedrich workouts? She is awesome!

Loralie

Thank you so much for reassuring me that I am not crazy for wanting to work in my workouts! My body also craves exercise. I'm also aiming to work out every other day...well, at the very least. I live only about 30 minutes from the port where the ship leaves from, so I will probably get up extra early the day we embark in order to fit in a workout. Then, I am determined to work out a minimum of 5 times throughout the cruise.

I have not tried Cathe Friedrich's workouts. I am addicted to Chalene Johnson's workouts. It all started with Turbo Jam for me back in 2005 (although I have been exercising since 2002, with the exception of when I gave birth to my boys, and from the middle of each pregnancy). Then last year I did ChaLEAN Extreme for a while, but then from lifting my kids so much (my older son is 5 years old and 46 pounds!), my back went out (lower back...was very painful) and I can't lift heavy weights anymore. I went back to Turbo Jam. Now I do Turbo Fire, which is a more intense cardio program, kind of the next level after mastering Turbo Jam. It includes high intensity interval training which I love!

The only classes I've seen offered on RC are spinning, yoga and pilates. You can use the exercise area whenever there is not a class and they are at various times during the day. I don't think I've ever seen one offered at 6am:D.

The charge in June for these classes was $10.00. I've never done any of the classes so I don't know if they are worth it, but I do use the gym everyday. You will have the typical weight machines, free weights, elipticals, treadmills, and stationary bikes. There is also a jogging track outside , usually deck 11 or 12, but it is not really suited for running. Walking or moderate jogging works well.

Hope this helps!

Sherri:)

Thanks for the tips! I figured there wouldn't be a class at 6am!

I was on the a 9N Explorer Cruise in Sept and enjoyed the fitness center. There were a variety of classes offered. Some free some with a nominal fee (I think around $10 but not sure). I didn't take the classes so sorry don't recall. There was a morning stretch class that I considered around 7:30am which was free.

What I did use was the treadmills. There was a variety of equipment you just walk up and use like excersise bikes etc. all free. Great view of the ocean too. Wish I had brought an ipod with headphones to enjoy.

If it had been warmer I would have been outside enjoying the ocean air walking- that is the best! We also did some active excursions like hiking too.

The morning stretch sounds like it would be perfect after an early morning cardio workout for me! I will definitely look for that one! Thanks!

Most of the RCI cruises I've been on offer two types of classes:

25-min. classes which are free (usually 7am stretch, 730am abs, aerobics or circuit training; sometimes they also offer an afternoon class, too. By the third day, I'm often the only one at the 7am stretch class!)

55-min. classes which cost $10-12 each (sometimes they offer a discount if you book 3 or more, at the fitness director's discretion). These include Yoga (-ish, the instructors are not always very good), Pilates, and spinning. I think the larger ships (eg. Freedom & above) offer boxing, kickboxing and other classes, too.

You can also book private training sessions at $75 per hour.

My cruise budget always includes $$ for Yoga and spin class!! I love Yoga on the beach; a bit sandy, but the heat and natural surroundings really add to the experience. Be sure to bring water!

Also, I recommend that you board the ship as early as possible and head straight to the gym to sign up for any classes you are interested in taking. Spin class often fills up right away. If you miss out on signing up, put your name down on the waitlist and show up at the class; you might get in, since many times people do not show up for their spot.

My guess is no one will complain if you bring a mini-DVD player and work out in the class space when there's no class going on. I often see people stretching or working out on their own in that space, using the floor mats, hand weights, balls, etc. However, you are not allowed to use the spin bikes except in a spin class.

Have a great cruise!

Don't feel crazy at all about exercising. Working out is so much of my life & routine that I need the cardio, even on vacation it makes the day better for me!

I have seen people use the exercise room by themselves when no class is being offered. Plus, on the Liberty in March they had some 'boot camp' style classes for a fee everyday ($10-15?) and some core classes for free in the morning. It was great. It may vary on each boat though

Archived