Best location for pre cruise in rio?

delondin

We are considering a 2 day pre cruise in rio. We have the choice of the Sheraton rio or JW Marriott. I have read reviews on trip advisor and Marriott seems to get the better reviews but it is considerably more expensive.

What is best in terms of location. I like the idea of being near copacabana but have no idea where this is in relation to anything else. Would this be a reasonably safe area for wandering around looking for restaurants etc.

Thanks.

From what I have read and I have read a lot, you would rather stay in Ipanema than Copacabana. Much calmer and in certain respects safer. My wife and I are also doing 2 days in Rio before going to BA for our cruise. The company that we are using for some guides suggested The Mango Tree which is a block off of the beach for less than $90USD. They were very responsive to my inquiries.

Thanks but we are booking our pre cruise through princess cos we are in the uk and that is the recommended way over here. So we can only choose between those two. From your extensive research which of these would be better or should we save our money.

Thanks very much.

Having been in Rio quite a bit, plus that was my husbands run as a pilot I will give this advise. Leblon Beach is one of the safest areas in Rio. Plus it is very nice. Close to everything. I love Rio but when you are there do not wear any jewelry at all. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. When we did our last cruise out of there people we meet had their camera taken from then in the middle of the day at the beach. After saying all this we really do enjoy Rio.

The Marriott is an infinitely nicer property. Whether it is worth the extra cost to spend your 2 nights there may be dependent on how much time you will spend in your hotel (room). Both locations have pluses and minuses.

The Marriott is on Av Atlantica fronting the ocean. You can comfortably walk to Ipanema (15-20 min) and Leblon along the oceanfront except for a short stretch that separates Copa from Ipanema. The sidewalk of Av Atlantica is safe on the side across the street from the ocean because there is always pedestrian traffic owing to all the hotels, apt highrises, shops and restaurants. It's best to avoid the ocean-side sidewalk after dusk especially if it is appears uncrowded. Avoid that side of the street at night if it is deserted. That's where careless tourists, you know, the kind that walk around with a large camera hung around their necks, are likely to become a target for a purse or camera snatch or even the occasional armed holdup. To a somewhat lesser extent the same is true of the oceanfront sidewalk in Ipanema and Leblon except they remain fairly busy after dusk especially in the summer when presumably you will be in town.

The Sheraton Rio is actually located in Sao Conrado about 500 meters from where the beach of Leblon begins. There is a very narrow sidewalk only on one side of the street (Av Niemeyer). It bends around down a hill as you walk towards Leblon. This little stretch of sidewalk is okay during the day assuming you have no mobility problems, but it's a little dangerous at night owing to the proximity of the Vidigal favela which exits across the street from the Sheraton. That also explains why the Sheraton beach is not popular. As all beaches are public, the favela kids sometimes use the Sheraton beach - contrary to the deal made by hotel mgmt and the narcotrafficantes that run Vidigal. Besides, the water at that beach is not as clean as it is at the other zona sul beaches e.g., Leme, Copa, Ipanema, Leblon. If you stay at the Sheraton and want to be on a beach you will have to walk over to Leblon, not far but a minor hassle and not recommended at night. If you want to walk to Ipanema it will take about 1/2 hour along the Leblon beachfront to get there. The Sheraton has a free shuttle bus that leaves frequently (every 1/2 hour or so) so you can avoid taxis into Leblon, Ipanema, and Copacabana. It's farther from Sugarloaf and Corcovado, but the difference in cab fare is less than $10.

Thank you for your replies. After reading them I think we will spend our money on a flight upgrade instead. It seems it could be quite stressful worrying where is safe and I would hate to go all that way and be scared to leave the hotel at night. I never feel 100 percent comfortable leaving valuables in hotel safes either.

When we arrive in rio we get an overnight on the ship before it sails the next day. How far is the port from the main area?

When we arrive in rio we get an overnight on the ship before it sails the next day. How far is the port from the main area?

The port is about a R$ 45 ($27) taxi ride to the Sheraton. About 30 minutes. A little less to Ipanema and Copacabana. That part of the city is called zona sul. The "main" part of town is the "centro" (CBD), which is close to the port.

• 8 months later...
The port is about a R$ 45 ($27) taxi ride to the Sheraton. About 30 minutes. A little less to Ipanema and Copacabana. That part of the city is called zona sul. The "main" part of town is the "centro" (CBD), which is close to the port.

Does anyone have 2011 updated prices on a taxi to/from the Sheraton Rio and the cruise port?

The people we are using for sightseeing quoted a price of 120R$ ($76-77 USD) for two people and baggage.This seems high. I'd love to have some options.

Does anyone have 2011 updated prices on a taxi to/from the Sheraton Rio and the cruise port?

The people we are using for sightseeing quoted a price of 120R$ ($76-77 USD) for two people and baggage.This seems high. I'd love to have some options.

That is an absurd price. It is not a metered taxi, but a private car and even at that, an overpriced one. That fare would be an overcharge even for the Sheraton in Barra , not the one in Sao Conrado. Who is your sightseeing company? I want to know in order to avoid recommending them!

Taxis in Rio are safe and easy to hail or call in advance. Just ask the hotel concierge to call you a cab (if there isn't already one waiting). There has been a fare increase so unless the meters are updated prior to your arrival the driver will consult a table to calculate the approx 10% increase over what the meter reads.

Taxis from the pier are also metered so avoid agreeing to a fixed fare for any trip.

Archived