How to cash in on price drops??

eap1986

OK, so I booked a cruise back in August and the price has been dropping ever since! A few weeks ago I noticed that the oceanview was the same price as the interior we paid for and called to see about an upgrade, but I was told that it was a special pack-and-go promotion and only applied to new bookings. But it didn't say that.

Now the oceanviews are CHEAPER than the interiors!!!??? I wouldn't be concerned except for the fact that I hear people on these boards call their TAs all the time and get the price drops as OBC. So how am I to know the difference? Would it be worth my time to call Carnival directly? We are 50 days out at this point.

I booked directly with Carnival - one room was Early Saver and the other was not. When our inside rooms was going for more than a balcony, I called Carnival directly and had everyone upgraded. They didn't even question it.

OBC's at this point in the game will only be given if you booked Early Saver.

So I would say you are entitled to an upgrade. Just a gut feeling but maybe your TA does not want to do the work or may be missing out on a commission if she changes you?

gone_cruisin: thanks for the advice, I removed the links ;)

And I don't think I did book early saver, that must be what the *best price guarantee* thing is, huh? The online TA were the ones I called and explained the pack-n-go promotion. OH well, maybe I'll just wait a little bit longer and call back.

OK, so I booked a cruise back in August and the price has been dropping ever since! A few weeks ago I noticed that the oceanview was the same price as the interior we paid for and called to see about an upgrade, but I was told that it was a special pack-and-go promotion and only applied to new bookings. But it didn't say that.

Now the oceanviews are CHEAPER than the interiors!!!??? I wouldn't be concerned except for the fact that I hear people on these boards call their TAs all the time and get the price drops as OBC. So how am I to know the difference? Would it be worth my time to call Carnival directly? We are 50 days out at this point.

You need to call your TA. Carnival can do nothing for you since the TA is their client (not you). One reason I dont use a TA, I like control over my booking.

OOPS, we must have been typing at the same time. Even though you cant get price drop you might be able to get an upgrade

gone_cruisin: thanks for the advice, I removed the links ;)

And I don't think I did book early saver, that must be what the *best price guarantee* thing is, huh? The online TA were the ones I called and explained the pack-n-go promotion. OH well, maybe I'll just wait a little bit longer and call back.

I would - maybe speak to someone different? I am pretty sure you can get upgrades at any time if the price is the same (or lower).

Have you made final payment? Does your TA honor price drops? We always get a price, make the down payment, then wait until final payment is due. We contact our TA and see what the current price is. Then we pay off at the current rate.

You need to call your TA. Carnival can do nothing for you since the TA is their client (not you). One reason I dont use a TA, I like control over my booking. OOPS, we must have been typing at the same time. Even though you cant get price drop you might be able to get an upgrade

Yeah, no more TAs for me. They bought me with the free frequent flyer miles but NEVER again!

You need to call your TA. Carnival can do nothing for you since the TA is their client (not you). One reason I dont use a TA, I like control over my booking. OOPS, we must have been typing at the same time. Even though you cant get price drop you might be able to get an upgrade
Have you made final payment? Does your TA honor price drops? We always get a price, make the down payment, then wait until final payment is due. We contact our TA and see what the current price is. Then we pay off at the current rate.

Yes, final payment was due a while back. That's a good question though, I'm going to check their website "fine print" now ;)

Archived