The Baths on our own ot ship tour?

kroozerj

Gonig to Tortola for the first time next month, and planning a tour of the Baths. Do you recommend doing it on our own where it is a bit cheaper and we can control our own schedule, or doing it thru the ship where they plan everything and we just go along? Any help is apppreciated. Thanks.

After taking a 1/2 day excursion there last year, I can say that if we return to the Baths it will be on our own, or an excursion that STAYS at the Baths all day. I was very disappointed that, unlike the description stated, there was no time for independent "exploring", neither on land nor in the water.

Even if it cost more to go DIY, that's what I would do...I know from reading the glowing reports of excursions that our experience is possibly not the norm. Or, possibly other's ideas of "free time" are different than ours.

Gonig to Tortola for the first time next month, and planning a tour of the Baths. Do you recommend doing it on our own where it is a bit cheaper and we can control our own schedule, or doing it thru the ship where they plan everything and we just go along? Any help is apppreciated. Thanks.

We use Tortola Charters to the Baths it was only $55. The ships tour for the same was $79. If you are on NCL they use Tortola Charters, but I believe you can still book the cheaper price through Tortola Charters direct even if you are on NCL. We will be using them again when we go to Jost Van Dyke in 8 days. If you do book with Tortola Charters PLEASE tell them that Eric referred you.:pThanks.

http://tortolacharters.com/excursions/virgin-gorda-baths-tours/

We use Tortola Charters to the Baths it was only $55. The ships tour for the same was $79. If you are on NCL they use Tortola Charters, but I believe you can still book the cheaper price through Tortola Charters direct even if you are on NCL. We will be using them again when we go to Jost Van Dyke in 8 days.

DH and I will be aboard the Pearl later this month (just loved typing those last few words:D). I requested info from Tortola Charters on the Baths. Here's part of the response:

. . . because we do some of the onboard trips for the Pearl on 12/02 we are only doing the Jost Van Dyke Tour that you book directly with us and unfortunately not the Baths Tour. . . . Jost is our most popular tour and it includes free snorkel gear with a guided tour of the reef at White Bay - plus you can also spend as much time as you want snorkeling throughout the bay on your own. The boat ride over to Jost is a very relaxing and scenic cruise. . . )

Initially, Jost Van Dyke excursion didn't appeal to us but I'm willing to be pursuaded. (We live in FL close to some of the best beaches in the US and we usually visit when they are uncrowded.) I would love some discussion on the relative merits of the NCL Baths tour for $89pp vs DIY Baths for less $$ vs the Tortola Charters Jost trip for $55pp. Thanks!

Initially, Jost Van Dyke excursion didn't appeal to us but I'm willing to be pursuaded. (We live in FL close to some of the best beaches in the US and we usually visit when they are uncrowded.) I would love some discussion on the relative merits of the NCL Baths tour for $89pp vs DIY Baths for less $$ vs the Tortola Charters Jost trip for $55pp. Thanks!

If you had your hart set on the Baths I would go there. We did the tour to the Baths with NCL before I knew that Tortola Charters did the tour. It was good but not enough time spent there. It is a place that needs to be experienced. Since this is our second time to B.V.I.'s we opted for Jost. Here is a link to the ferry to the Baths. That way you can schedule when you want to go & come back on your time.

http://www.speedysbvi.com/

We've been to The Baths twice now - once on a very rainy day when the ship's excursions were cancelled and last time on a beautiful sunny day.

We walked out to Speedy's ferry (about 10 mins from the dock) and paid around $30 each for the ferry to Virgin Gorda and the minibus to the path at the top of the Baths. Be sure to get a ticket for the minibus - it's included in the ferry price but you have to ask.

They drop you at the top and you walk down - about 5 - 10 minutes depending on how nimble you are. There's a cabin at the top of the path where you pay an entrance fee (it's a heritage park or something) - only a couple of $s each, I think.

The Baths is a magical place - be sure to take minimum stuff with you in a backpack, so you have both hands free to climb through the boulders to get to the amazing beach at the other end.

There's a snack bar and toilets at the bottom of the path - basic food, but great rum punch. No bar or facilities at the beach at the end of the climb through the boulders.

Also a good restaurant at the top (where the minibus drops you).

Great snorkelling at the second beach.

You've got a link to Speedy's ferries, I think.

Have a wonderful day.

If you are venturing to the baths on your own there is n one that I would trust more than Tortola Charters. You not only want it to be a great xperience, you also want to be in good hands and feel confident that you will make it back to the ship on time and safely. When you reserve with Tortola Charters they will send you a PDF of your reservation... It is the most professional reservation that you will ever receive from a private excursion that you will be confident that you booked the right trip before you leave home. If you reserve, tell them Lori Mitchell referred you (I'll get a free drink on my next trip April 2011). I am not a big drinker... Just great to pass along great leads!!

If you are venturing to the baths on your own there is n one that I would trust more than Tortola Charters. You not only want it to be a great xperience, you also want to be in good hands and feel confident that you will make it back to the ship on time and safely. When you reserve with Tortola Charters they will send you a PDF of your reservation... It is the most professional reservation that you will ever receive from a private excursion that you will be confident that you booked the right trip before you leave home. If you reserve, tell them Lori Mitchell referred you (I'll get a free drink on my next trip April 2011). I am not a big drinker... Just great to pass along great leads!!

Great to know - we are booked with them on a private tour in January :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to go to the bath with Speedy ferry.

I saw on Speedy website there is a special @48$US that includes the ferry + ground transportation + entrance fees + lunch @ "bath & turtles" restaurant.

I need some advise from those who already went there with Speedy.

I'm wondering if someone already took that "special" and is it worth? I read some complaints about the restaurant (long line, takes time to be served ...).

For those who went there on their own, can you tell me how much is the taxi ride from ferry to the bath?

Also do you know if Speedy accept credit cards?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah just go on your own...It takes no great effort...

The ferry is a short walk(5 min.) from the ship and there are shuttles running constantly from the dock on Virgin Gorda to the baths...

Not mentioned here in this thread is that there are bathrooms to change in and lockers to store one's dry gear so one can just take a backpack with towels/snorkels/water/snacks and go in their swimgear through the baths to the beach at the end...

There is also restaurant at the entrance to the baths that has pretty basic fare(burgers/beer etc. - nothing too special)...

Archived