Pre-cruise stay in Seattle

Mare10

We're finally about ready to book our 1st cruise to Alaska. We're doing a round trip in and out of Seattle and would like to fly in early to see some sights.

Would appreciate opinions on whether one night is enough or should we do two. Also, Princess offers some package deals... should we go that route or book separate.

Also, should be we book our own airfare? We're just flying in from Southern California.

Thanks!

Book 2 pre-cruise nights. There is a lot to see in do in the Seattle area and 2 nights is will give the opportunity to experience 2 of the many wonderful restaurants in Seattle. Don’t stay by the airport. Stay down town. We stayed at the Fairmont and were able to walk to everything right from the hotel.

Get a quote for air, hotel, transfer package from Princes than compare it to what you can find in term of air & hotel packages. You can find shuttle & taxi rates on the SeeTac website.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Future Cruises

Oasis of the Seas - December 11, 2010

Paul Gauguin – February 9, 2011

We stayed at the hotel Princess uses in Seattle last year. I believe it was a Doubletree Inn. It was very nice; good beds and linens; good sized room. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, as well as a couple of restaurants.

The advantage to staying at the Princess hotel is that the room rate includes your transfer to the pier on embarkation day.

If you have a late day flight from Seattle after the cruise, you can book a Seattle tour with Princess. We did, had a nice look around Seattle, went to the Pike Market, went up in the Space Needle) entrance ticket included in the tour price. At the end of the tour, we were dropped off at the airport.

Although I haven't cruised out of Seattle, I live in the area. First of all, I would suggest getting your hotel on your own. One of my customers is a major hotel in Seattle. I was talking to their purchasing manager and he was telling me that great rates can be had at their hotel through both Priceline and Hotwire (cheaper than his employee discount). You could probably easily find a really nice downtown hotel for 99 per night or there abouts. In regards to a Starbucks in the lobby, that is really no big deal. If there isn't one in the lobby, there will be one within the block. And then another across the street and another two doors down, really!!!!

If you can swing a couple of nights pre cruise, do so. There really is a lot to see here. The bus system downtown is pretty good. Otherwise, you might want to check into the excursions if you want to get out of downtown. Just be sure to do Pike Place Market and the waterfront. The locks are fascinating also. Of course the Space Needle.

Anyway, enjoy your visit and the cruise. Hopefully, we will do that cruise someday.

Kelly

Book your own air - absolutely. You will assure yourselves of a nonstop flight at the time and airport of your choosing.

Seattle has so much to offer. I would also recommend several days. If you have not visited before just be aware that it is hilly. Some streets feel like San Francisco hilly.

You can use hotwire and priceline for hotels. There is no point in paying the cruise line a premium for doing this. Cabs are not that expensive and they can get you to the pier faster and with fewer passengers than a ship's bus.

Thanks for all the tips! Just this week I got out cruise booked. Yippee!!!

Now I'll focus on Seattle pre-cruise and the excursions. From what everyone has suggested we'll definitely stay 2 nights in Seattle. So excited for this adventure and our very first cruise!

Marilyn:)

Archived