Spend the night in Barcelona airport?

cruisin-wannabe

We have a very early 6:25 am flight out of Barcelona on our trip homeward from our cruise. We are contemplating just spending the night at the airport so we won't have to deal with getting transportation so early, and also save some $$ on a hotel that we really won't be able to enjoy. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with this?

Thanks you!

I wouldn't even consider this. I know I would enjoy sleeping someplace safe and comfortable, taking a shower and changing into clean clothes before a long flight. That's all the "enjoyment" I require from a hotel.

Use Priceline to bid for a hotel; you should have no trouble getting an early morning cab. If you're worried, book in advance.

You might as well be sleeping in a train station. You won't be able to get airside the day before a flight and so you'd be in the public area where anyone can walk in off the streets (not that sleeping airside is a haven of safety and comfort). What's to stop someone stealing all your valuables or do you plan on sleeping in shifts?

I would never, ever recommend sleeping in an airport.

I have slept in airports do to weather delays and cancelled flights. And that was airside (inside the security areas). Miserable! Outside in the public areas while you are trying to keep your stuff from being stolen....no way.

They will not let you check in your bags the night before an early flight.

There is also a very goo chance that the security people will push you out the door.

If you can't afford a hotel, you ought not to take the cruise.

Was in the BCN last year for cruise. This is not an airport to consider sleeping in. In the public area, I do not remember there being a particularly "lounge" type of area -- just a corridor area with a snack shop and must have been an ATM (we were looking for it), lots of folks most of whom could not answer questions in English (my problem not theirs but still), and not even a place to loiter let alone stay for awhile. Inside security I don't remember well but I think it was just dark waiting areas with some chairs on a long corridor. Do not remember food or bathrooms being available. I was much better impressed with the huge airport (new) in Madrid.

Barcelona and the LaRambles is in the top 5 of the world pickpocket havens (read this but who knows where and if the source is accurate but still it does have a reputation) and I would think the airport is a fairly likely place to have a concerntration.

Go into Barcelona and walk on La Rambles and have a good meal. So much fun and a real part of the vacation IMHO. Get a cab back to airport (I had "good" instructions from other CC writers but I DID NOT find the airport bus EVER!) early in the AM and plan to sleep at some other time. Barcelona airport not safe for the night but Barcelona the city of great food, late nights, incredible scene/nightlife and wonderful fun is worth leaving the airport for.

IIf you can't afford a hotel, you ought not to take the cruise.

A little harsh? So if you can only afford a hotel and not a hostel, you still shouldn't take the cruise? :confused:

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Though I wouldn't sleep in the airport myself, I won't impose my standards on others.

Archived