Emergency Contact Information While On a Cruise

swdke

If a family member needs to contact you while you're on a cruise, how is that family member to get a message to you? I am the "planner" for my family group of 5 who will be sailing on an upcoming cruise. We were going over our plans last night, and I was asked what number they were to give to their family in case there was an emergency and needed to be contacted. I told them I would find out. Does anyone here have an answer? Thanks!

From the US, they can call 900-329-7447

From Canada 900-565-2800

Credit card call 877-656-7447

Note that there is a hefty per minute charge.

Thank you for the numbers. Can you tell me, are these numbers to Princess, the ship? I forgot to mention, we're sailing on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan. Thanks.

Thank you for the numbers. Can you tell me, are these numbers to Princess, the ship? I forgot to mention, we're sailing on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan. Thanks.

They are listed in the Princess Cruise Answer Book. It says to use these numbers for all ships (presumably Princess ships).

There are no direct to the ship numbers provided. Contacting by phone to the ship can be a rather lengthy process and very expensive. Definitely have them use the phone to contact the ship ONLY in REAL emergency situations. If I am not mistaken, it can run about $8-$9 per minute for them to call you onboard. (you see what I mean there?)

Checking your email each day would be a much less expensive alternative. ;)

The Princess website does have phone and fax numbers for each ship at this link (click on "contact phone numbers"):

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp

Toto2Kansas is right about the pricing - it is very expensive. $8.95 USD per minute or $11.95 CAD per minute. (time for Princess to take another look at the value of the Canadian dollar!)

The Princess website does have phone and fax numbers for each ship at this link (click on "contact phone numbers"):

Toto2Kansas is right about the pricing - it is very expensive. $8.95 USD per minute or $11.95 CAD per minute. (time for Princess to take another look at the value of the Canadian dollar!)

But if I am not mistaken here, those numbers are not direct numbers to the actual ships, just a go-between number to assist in contacting the ship. ;)

If I am not mistaken (as I said previously), that is not a number direct to the ship. I think it is to an operator of some sort that will assist contacting the ship. I know some have had a terrible time attempting to call the ship by phone in an emergency as they had to go through someone on the other end of the line that will attempt to contact the ship, and have read where often times they are disconnected.

The Princess website lists the 900-329-SHIP number as a way to contact all ships in the fleet. This must be just an operator that will connect you to specific ships.

The website goes on to say that "if you would like to call the Ocean Princess in the Pacific Ocean from the United Kingdom, dial 00 870 331 050 510" (dial your country's international direct dialing code followed by the global ocean code of 870 then the sips number.) This does not sound like a remote operator - but you will likely get an operator on the ship. (at those prices I'm not going to test this out.);)

There are numbers for phone and fax listed for each ship under "contact phone numbers" as well as the general Fleet phone number.

Aren't these for people calling the ship from outside the U.S.? They are only 9 digit numbers. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Patti

"To provide greater peace of mind while you’re away from home, give friends and relatives the following information on how to telephone you. For all ships in the Princess Fleet, call 900-329-SHIP (900-329-7447) from the US or 900-565-2800. The 900 service can be used to call or fax the ship. Please include passenger name and stateroom number to ensure quick delivery."

Again, there is one number to call to contact the ship (all ships in the Princess fleet), if I am not mistaken, the numbers under this section in that link are the ships contact numbers that you would either dial yourself after the 900 number, or give those you reach at the 900 number.

To contact the ship you MUST use that number. It is best to FAX a note to the passenger(s) and let the Ships personel locate them and they can then answer you however they please. The call goes through a maritime ships telephone company. It costs $8.95/min US $11.95 CAD Call 1-877-656-7447 to chg it to a credit card if using a payphone. Ships cannnot always be reached but most cruise ships are usually within reach of a sattelite.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess leaving Nov. 14. I will leave the "emergency" number with our family. However, I called my cell phone company and learned that, off the ship, texting is far cheaper than calling. So if you just want to check in, send a text. In my case, it would cost $1.99 a minute for a call, but .50 for each text from any of the Caribbean islands. This does not apply while on the ship. Our family will know to text only.

Aren't these for people calling the ship from outside the U.S.? They are only 9 digit numbers. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Patti

Princess says to use these 9 digit numbers for calls originating outside the United States or Canada. You must dial the direct dialing code for the country you are in followed by the global ocean code of 870 then the number for the ship.

Archived