Juneau Dogsledding question

vijoge

We'll be in Juneau June 28 (on NCL Star). I can book now directly with ERA for a 5PM excursion or wait til NCL opens up bookings for excursions through the ship. I'm trying to decide if 5 pm is too late in the day to go and if we'll be rushed getting back to the ship. The Star is scheduled to leave Juneau at 10 PM.

Anyone?

Hi - just wanted to throw out the possibility that without snow in Alaska in June, you probably will be dogsledding on wheeled sleds. My brother and his wife did did this excursion at the end of May 02 and were surprised as nobody mentioned it.

But, they still had fun - and playing with the new puppies was the highlight!

Franci

Hi Franci, Welcome to CC. We do have snow all year in Alaska.Did your brother and his wife need to take a helicopter to go dogsledding? I bet not. There is actually 2 types, wheeled on land and on the snow which requires a helicopter flight.There are a few different places to do both.Are you planning a cruise to Alaska? Keep reading here and you'll learn alot.

Hi - just wanted to throw out the possibility that without snow in Alaska in June, you probably will be dogsledding on wheeled sleds. My brother and his wife did did this excursion at the end of May 02 and were surprised as nobody mentioned it.

But, they still had fun - and playing with the new puppies was the highlight!

Franci

No, the one we're taking is on a dogSLED on a glacier.

Is there a pricing difference? I would book now- you will be back in plenty of time for your ship departure, BUT verify this directly with ERA.

I don't know about a price difference as NCL hasn't published their prices yet. Booking independently with ERA is $410 pp. They assure me we will be back in plenty of time-I hope they're right!

Do you know which company NCL uses in Juneau for this excursion?

vijoge,

We booked through Coastal Helicopter, & didn't pay that much. You may want to check into it.

Does anyone know which Glacier we should be landing on to take the dog sledding ride? We will be taking the helicopter from Juneau. TIA :)

Coastal lands on the Herbert glacier which is located on the other side of Mendenhall glacier. Their price is $395 pp. http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/t_dogsled.htm

GlacierLady,

Thanks for the info. :) We have a long day in Juneau. We have already booked 2 tours, but thought we may also take the MGT Express to Mendenhall Glacier later in the day. Would it still be worth a visit, after going to Herbert Glacier, or would seeing both be overkill? Thanks again :)

Your going to get a different feeling from both.With dog sledding you will be on the snow,and will fly over glaciers. Mendenhall is a walk up by the ice.If you have the time, do both.Mendenhall is one of those that you can decide upon later.You won't know for sure if you'll be able to fly and do the dog sledding till you arrive in Juneau and see what the weather is doing.

I have also flown to Norris Glaicer with Coastal. But the dog camps will be set up and fixed as long as the conditions hold out, so the first season visitors can report where the camp is perhaps? NCL will be using ERA, since they are the only glacier dog sledding that ship books, The independent is Coastal using Godwin's dog camp. Out of Skagway is TEMSCO.

Tarheel- if you want to stop at Mendenhall, it is be far better if you have transportation to or from there directly to your touring. You will save an hour of shuttle time. If you use MGT, they only pick up and shuttle downtown/glacier. If you are doing flights, whale watching- this is the same general area. You also will get a look at Mendenhall from your tour shuttle.

• 1 year later...
Budget Queen,

Do you have a preference between doing the dog sled tour (on snow via helicopter) in either Skagway or Juneau?

Thanks,

have never made it, have been canceled twice. Juneau overall is the most canceled, but Skagway isn't far behind. Go with who fits your schedule best, which will be Juneau since TEMSCO out of Skagway is the ship contractor and only helicopter company.

Archived