going to St Johns from St Thomas - what is there to do besides the beach?

iamheretowinp

I have read all about taking a taxi to Red Hook Ferry Dock ($10 pp), then ferry over to St John's ($6 pp each way), and end up in St John's Cruz Bay. I am wondering if the shops/restaurants are close and if both are any good. or if you must taxi or walk to area where better shopping/food might be.

Also I would like to know if there are excursions offered on the island, any tours, or anything interesting that me and my husband could experience. we are adventurous people and ANY suggestions would be helpful. I assume we would arrive on St John's no later than 9:30am, but would have to leave to be back to ship on time by 2:30pm. so about 4 hours to fit something in.

I would appreciate any help that anyone might suggest. Thanks.

Restaurants and shops are all within walking distance in Cruz Bay where you will be dropped off by ferry. Take a taxi (you will see them everywhere and they are all open air trucks with benches to sit on) to Trunk Bay so you get a good view on the way. The driver will stop at some beautiful overlooks on the way for you to take pictures. That beach will be the most crowded from other cruisers coming over. If you would like a beautiful but much less crowded beach, after going to the overlook that looks down at Trunk Bay before getting to the parking lot, tell the driver to take you to Caneel Bay Resort (You passed it on the way). Ask anyone at the resort where the trail for Honeymoon Beach is. (It's about 1/2 mile to one mile easy trail) The beach is georgeous! There are always taxi's at the Caneel Resort parking lot ready to take you back to town. Go to the beaches first and then you should have plenty of time for some shopping. There have always been plenty of good restaurants in town for lunch. (I haven't been there in a few years so not sure what's there now)

Archived