Price Drop - How soon before sailing?

kickerann

I'm also interested in this because I am booked in an obstructed view outside room for a March 2011 sailing and I want to upgrade to a balcony room at the best price possible. Final payment is around Christmas-time. When is the best time to try and get the lowest price?

Looking at sailing on Nov 27th, but want to time the booking to get the best price.

Any advice or past experiance?

Which ship and how full is it? It all depends on what category cabin you are interested in also.

Which ship and how full is it? It all depends on what category cabin you are interested in also.

And, if getting full, the rate might go up. Happens both ways, all based on number of cabins still available and rate they are selling.

Ah, the big gamble. Good luck.

We are booked in two minisuites on the Dec 19 sailing fo the Pearl. There are still several 2 bedrm family suites left on board, but at this time, it costs almost twice as much for less square footage, and as much as we wanted concierge/butler service, it isn't worth $4000. What will happen to these cabins? Will the price drop? Will people be upgraded/upsold to? Anyone? Thanks!

You need a crystal ball. :) All timeframes for price "drops" are possible. And it is very unlikely you are going to hit the lowest very frequently.

A timeframe I always recommend, is the few days before final payment. What people don't realize is, many times, if booked with a nonNCL agent, your "final" payment from them is usually 7-10 days before the official one. There can be a lot of action with cancelations, returned unsold space etc.

Also people assume cruises are only purchased by the retail market. Travel industry employees many times are late booking and there can be very sweet deals.

And as noted, upsells are another marketing tool.

Book when the price is good for you. I've booked from a year to days ahead, but mostly do later book.

If you get into the late booking bargain snagging mode- it is very rewarding, BUT you also must be accepting of not going.

I'm also interested in this because I am booked in an obstructed view outside room for a March 2011 sailing and I want to upgrade to a balcony room at the best price possible. Final payment is around Christmas-time. When is the best time to try and get the lowest price?

My balcony category for my January cruise just went down late last week. My final payment was due on Oct. 3rd.

You can almost guarantee that rates will drop after final payment - which is 75 days out on most 7 nights because after final payment, people can't adjust their rates. Unless you are on a ship that is selling out, the closer it gets, the cheaper it gets. For a November 27 sailing, you can pretty much wait until the last week and get ridiculous rates because it's super off-season - if you're willing to risk it.

Either way, watch the prices until the last minute and you'll see for yourself. But when you buy, you'll be locked in, so sometimes that hurts too :)

Archived