Call for Azamara not to visit Indian ports

OzFactotem

We found that Indian visa problems have long been known to many travel agents. Several that we spoke with admitted they discouraged people from cruises that visit Indian ports. ;) One told us a client had his passport with the Indian consulate for close to two months. It was only returned three days before embarkation.

Azamara is obviously aware of the problem because it will not take our booking without Indian visa. Guests do not need the unnecessary stress in order to enjoy a pleasant cruise. Why is it so important to call in Indian ports? :mad:

May I ask Azamara to avoid Indian ports until group visa onboard can be arranged.

Can you tell me just what these 'visa problems' are, Oz?

I don't understand. All these travel agents seem to be having a different Azamara/Indian visa experience than I am. Is your issue that you actually have to get it yourself? Is this the 'stress' part?

A few hours ago I gave my documents to a nice man from a visa service. He took them away and, in a week, he'll bring them back with a new Indian visa. It isn't very stressful.

I'm also in the middle of booking a cruise thru India with the main Azamara office in Oz. No mention of 'no reservation without Indian visa'. Not at all.

So I'm confused.

Maybe it's better you don't go to India, anyway. Doesn't sound like you'd like it much.

Hi Dogster,

Hope you dont want to 'die' on Azamara again? Looking forward to another entertaining review.

We mentioned you to Larry Pimentel on the Presidents cruise suggested he get you or someone like you to take various cruises and write about them. Something similar was done on Oceania a couple of years ago. After all you come with your own following. However, there would have to be NO lampooning!

I was on Azamara Quest last week and had a really good time. Of course human character is eternal so its quite easy to recognize some personalities.

Azamara is obviously aware of the problem because it will not take our booking without Indian visa.

In a thread that you started 2 days ago, you explained that the cruise you wanted to take was less than 3 weeks out. You want to book a last minute cruise and Azamara has advised you of the requirement to obtain a visa, so you want them to drop ports in India.:confused:

Guests do not need the unnecessary stress in order to enjoy a pleasant cruise. Why is it so important to call in Indian ports? :mad:

Because people want to visit India. Is it possible for you to take a different last minute cruise?

lol emdee. Hello. Yup, I'm off again - booked, by the look of it in the same cruise as Oz finds it impossible to cope with. We all got the same juicy E-mail at the same time - but, for him, the entire Indian nation has conspired to prevent his visit.

Do I dare put the link to the story that Emdee is referring to...? I think Host Andy might have me expelled.

Larry P and I are blood brothers. We both had to endure the Really Terrible Russian Ballet in St. Petersburg a few months back on Journey. I broke first, heading for the exits after ten minutes. I owe him a beer.

I think Dogster would be a worthy Azamara scribe. I assume the esteemed LP agreed wholeheartedly. As long as I don't have to dance with any little old ladies.

Sorry Oz, I've diverted your post. lol. As if it wasn't sufficient of a diversion already.

May I ask Azamara to avoid Indian ports until group visa onboard can be arranged.

That is ridiculous. We have been. My brother-in-law is from there and his family is still there. India is a wonderful place to visit. If someone was starting their cruise there they would need a Visa anyway to fly into the country. You are suggesting that Azamara not start or end any cruise in any country where any guest might need to get its own Visa (to fly in or out). Your suggestion is that the cruise line not go anywhere in the world were it can not make all of the arrangements for its passengers.

If you don't want Indian ports why pick this particular cruise?

Hi Everyone !

I agree. This is totally ridiculous. This is a case of sour grapes by a prospective guest. They didnt do their homework, and couldnt work out their visa issues. Now he wants the Cruise line to stop sailing there ? It's laughable.

Oz : You've stated your case in other threads. Please let it go.

Hi Everyone !

I agree. This is totally ridiculous. This is a case of sour grapes by a prospective guest. They didnt do their homework, and couldnt work out their visa issues. Now he wants the Cruise line to stop sailing there ? It's laughable.

Oz : You've stated your case in other threads. Please let it go.

Host Andy:

Yes I shall let it go, as I do with this cruise, sour grapes or otherwise. I did not do my homework ( I was doing my homework when I found there was not enough time for the Indian visa ), I could not work out visa issues (neither my travel agent could help ), I therefore shall stand in the corner with a dunce hat, but I did offer you something to laugh about. Hope to meet you on another cruise and we can laugh together.

@dogster: Visa problems: consulate varies time taken for visa issue, can be up to two months.

@Susan_M: We only learned of the cruise a few days ago. I was asking Azamara to consider future cruises, not this one.

@Jade13: Please note "group visa onboard", not embarkation or disembarkation.

I picked this cruise because I had a late good offer, and I like the crew. Indian ports are only 3 days out of 31 on this cruise.

OZ, I dont know about Australia but here is Canada one can get what is called an expedited visa. It is more expensive but rather convenient. I have had to get one to viist India on one occasion so I know of it.

Thanks Emdee. No they don't offer this in Australia. I guess consulates vary, might be due to man power available.

You might not have heard and it is not likely to be related, but Melbourne is in India's bad books, quite deservedly. Early in the year there had been cases of violence against Indian students. In one case a student was stabbed to death. Shamefully the police did not seem to be doing enough.:mad::o

Oz, I just have to correct you here. You are spreading misinformation.

I'm in Melbourne, got that Azamara offer exactly the same time as you. Rang the number on the E-mail, Azamara main Oz office. I've just finalised payment this afternoon. I do not have an Indian visa - events are in train.

As for two months waits and weirdness at the embassy in Oz: just not true. There are delays in America. Life gets more difficult if you are an Indian citizen - but otherwise no problem. I asked the man from Visalink. He deals with the Indian embassy every day. I've already had 4 Indian visas. No problems.

!/ expedited 2 day visas are available in Oz.

2/ visas take about a week - 10 days.

go here: www.vfs-in-au.net

As for Azamara not issuing tickets without an Indian visa: just not true. In that eventuality the punters stay on the boat.

So, I get the feeling all this blah and carry-on is because you listened to one travel agent who didn't know what she was talking about.

It's Thurday 4.00 p.m. The fact of the matter is that you could ring this number: 1800 754500, book and pay with a credit card on the spot, then go to www.visalink.com.au, fill in the forms and send - and you'd STILL be able to get on that cruise.

Hi Dogster !

Thanks for your post. I'm sure we can understand the frustration involved here. I truly hope that Oz can find a way to use your information, and book the Azamara sailing. Let's hope your information will prove valuable to him.

Thanks again, and Good Luck Oz !

Oz, I just have to correct you here. You are spreading misinformation.

I'm in Melbourne, got that Azamara offer exactly the same time as you. Rang the number on the E-mail, Azamara main Oz office. I've just finalised payment this afternoon. I do not have an Indian visa - events are in train.

As for two months waits and weirdness at the embassy in Oz: just not true. There are delays in America. Life gets more difficult if you are an Indian citizen - but otherwise no problem. I asked the man from Visalink. He deals with the Indian embassy every day. I've already had 4 Indian visas. No problems.

!/ expedited 2 day visas are available in Oz.

2/ visas take about a week - 10 days.

go here: www.vfs-in-au.net

As for Azamara not issuing tickets without an Indian visa: just not true. In that eventuality the punters stay on the boat.

So, I get the feeling all this blah and carry-on is because you listened to one travel agent who didn't know what she was talking about.

It's Thurday 4.00 p.m. The fact of the matter is that you could ring this number: 1800 754500, book and pay with a credit card on the spot, then go to www.visalink.com.au, fill in the forms and send - and you'd STILL be able to get on that cruise.

DOGSTER: I was hoping to go on an Azamara cruise calling in 2 ports in India in April this year. Yes, Azamara are only too happy to sell you tickets for the cruise without a visa but if you book a late cruise and are unable to get an Indian visia in time you will not be allowed to board the ship. We asked if we could just stay on board in the 2 Indian ports and was told emphatically "NO".

We could have got a visa fairly easily but we were abroad at the time and it was too complicated to go back to the UK the get a visa.

DOGSTER: I was hoping to go on an Azamara cruise calling in 2 ports in India in April this year. Yes, Azamara are only too happy to sell you tickets for the cruise without a visa but if you book a late cruise and are unable to get an Indian visia in time you will not be allowed to board the ship. We asked if we could just stay on board in the 2 Indian ports and was told emphatically "NO".

We could have got a visa fairly easily but we were abroad at the time and it was too complicated to go back to the UK the get a visa.

An Indian tourist visa is for multiple entry and costs £30 for a 6 month visa and £50 for a 1 year visa (max 180 days stay per visit), both type of visa incurs a service charge of £9.05. The Indian Government has outsourced visa processing to VF Services (UK) Ltd and their website is vfsglobal.co.uk a 6 month mulpiple entry tourist visa through them therefore costs £39.05.

Beware there are plenty of other visa sites but they charge additional admin costs, for example onestepvisa.com charge an extra £25 for their services making a total of £64.09. ACC themselves recomend one that costs over £100pp!!!

A 6 month tourist visa is valid from the date of issue in your passport and not your arrival in India, so don't apply to many months in advance. You must have blank pages in the passport and it must have more than 6months left. I believe it takes around 10 days to get.

You are NOT allowed to board the ship if you do not have an Indian visa.

Archived