Do NCL TA - gift their guests?

singinglizzie

Just wondering if NCL travel agents ever do anything special for the passengers they book? I've read many posts (along with my own experience) where other travel agents give their guests wine, extra and sometimes surprise OBC, room decoration packages, etc. I am curious to know if NCL also does this? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Just wondering if NCL travel agents ever do anything special for the passengers they book? I've read many posts (along with my own experience) where other travel agents give their guests wine, extra and sometimes surprise OBC, room decoration packages, etc. I am curious to know if NCL also does this? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

My experience has been that the NCL agents do not as they are salaried employees of NCL. However, if you are using a Travel Agent, who earns a commission for every cabin booked, they sometimes do.

I have been booking cruises with the same TA for ten years, have also booked a few group cruises with her and referred multiple customers to her. When the economy was good, she was quite generous ... sent gifts to my kids (sunglasses, logo backpacks, lanyards) and on occassion sent bottles of wine to our cabins or a fruitbasket. I was stunned on this year's cruise (we typically book one per year with her), which was quite expensive, when there was nothing waiting in our cabin -- not even a note. I'm assuming it's because of the economy. But, it did catch me by surprise and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed.

Oh well, lesson learned. I've become so comfortable with her that I never even compare prices, look up fares online or think about talking to other TA's. I should probably be a little more savvy next year ... I did learn, while on board, that my neighbors in the same type cabin paid a lesser fare. And, sure enough, their TA had a bottle of wine waiting in the cabin for them when they boarded!

My experience has been that the NCL agents do not as they are salaried employees of NCL. However, if you are using a Travel Agent, who earns a commission for every cabin booked, they sometimes do.

I have been booking cruises with the same TA for ten years, have also booked a few group cruises with her and referred multiple customers to her. When the economy was good, she was quite generous ... sent gifts to my kids (sunglasses, logo backpacks, lanyards) and on occassion sent bottles of wine to our cabins or a fruitbasket. I was stunned on this year's cruise (we typically book one per year with her), which was quite expensive, when there was nothing waiting in our cabin -- not even a note. I'm assuming it's because of the economy. But, it did catch me by surprise and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed.

Oh well, lesson learned. I've become so comfortable with her that I never even compare prices, look up fares online or think about talking to other TA's. I should probably be a little more savvy next year ... I did learn, while on board, that my neighbors in the same type cabin paid a lesser fare. And, sure enough, their TA had a bottle of wine waiting in the cabin for them when they boarded!

Did you ask you agent if they sent something? The cruise lines do routinely not deliver gifts, even if they were ordered and paid for by the agent.

Did you ask you agent if they sent something? The cruise lines do routinely not deliver gifts, even if they were ordered and paid for by the agent.

Are you saying that if I were to order and pay for a bon voyage gift for a passenger it would not be delivered to them?

Sometimes bon voyage gifts fall thru the cracks. Our agency always sends wine and there are times where client does not receive. We now give them the confirmation in advance with their edocs so they know to ask if they dont receive it.

There have been two occasions on NCL when our TA ordered bottles of wine for us and they were NOT delivered! Both times we had a note from our TA ahead of time and went down to the front desk and the wine was finally delivered that night or the next day. You do need to check up on this as mistakes and oversights DO happen. We always check up at the front desk the very first night about any onboard credit we may have coming as well.(One time we recieved two bottles of wine when we inquired about the missing bottle!)

Are you saying that if I were to order and pay for a bon voyage gift for a passenger it would not be delivered to them?

Yes that can happen. I always confirm weeks before and a couple days before the cruise. One TA sent us a check for $25 just prior to the cruise because she had problems in the past with the wine not being delivered! We went out and bought a nice bottle of wine and paid the corkage fee and enjoyed the wine on our balcony:D

There have been two occasions on NCL when our TA ordered bottles of wine for us and they were NOT delivered! Both times we had a note from our TA ahead of time and went down to the front desk and the wine was finally delivered that night or the next day. You do need to check up on this as mistakes and oversights DO happen. We always check up at the front desk the very first night about any onboard credit we may have coming as well.(One time we recieved two bottles of wine when we inquired about the missing bottle!)

Yes that can happen. I always confirm weeks before and a couple days before the cruise. One TA sent us a check for $25 just prior to the cruise because she had problems in the past with the wine not being delivered! We went out and bought a nice bottle of wine and paid the corkage fee and enjoyed the wine on our balcony:D

Were both of these NCL travel agents? I know other TA often send wine, etc, but really I wanted to know if this is something NCL does as well - thanks!

I have used the same travel agency for 16 years. I have always received some little extra something from my agent. Sometimes it might be a nice bottle of champagne when picking up final documents at her office. I think it just depends on the agent. She always checks in on me after my trip and asks how my trip was.

I was a TA for sometime and as others have stated the cruise line could have possibly messed up and forgot to deliver the gift. This happened to me on two occasions that I know of when the client spoke up and said - you always give me a gift and I was looking forward to the wine you always sent! This was after I was given written confirmation from the cruise line of the order I placed with them. Turned out the cruise line made a mistake and never sent and my office was billed! I never had a problem with NCL (surprising because I remember their res. agents just did not know which end was up--sorry but it was true ----this is going back 5 years ago) but I think it was RCI and Carnival.

Also, while many travel agents are paid commission, there are some travel agents that work in travel agencies that do not get paid a commission. They are considered "staff agents" sort of like the agents at the cruise line. In this case the travel agency keeps all the commission since all clients are considered the offices. "Staff agent" gets paid a salary. I was a TA for 10 years and was considered a "staff agent" and was paid a salary (if you can call it that!) I was never paid commission.

But you can be upfront with your TA about the gift because if your TA ordered something and was charged then maybe they can arrange something else for you.

Unless your TA just can't afford to do it anymore. Remember commission is a percentage of the cruise only fare. While cruises prices have gone up slightly since last year the non commissionable amounts have increased too. I just booked myself on a Princess Cruise through the old agency I used to work at and my cruise fare was $1450 per person but the taxes and non comissionable amounts totaled to a little over $300 per person! So of that $1450 the travel agency makes a percentage off of $1150 per person. Commissions run anyware between 10-15% based on the travel agencies productivity.

Just a perspective I wanted to share. Please don't take offense. :)

Were both of these NCL travel agents? I know other TA often send wine, etc, but really I wanted to know if this is something NCL does as well - thanks!

The check was from a local travel agency but I have received wine from the on-line agency I use now too. :)

We have not gotten anything from our NCL agent however I will say that whenever the price has dropped a quick phone call was made to him and he immediately changed the price of our cruise. That has always been worth more to us than a little giftie in in the room.

We have not gotten anything from our NCL agent however I will say that whenever the price has dropped a quick phone call was made to him and he immediately changed the price of our cruise. That has always been worth more to us than a little giftie in in the room.

I do the same thing with my on-line agency and she is more than happy to make the change. I am constantly checking for price drops so if I see one, I email her and if she can, she makes the change no problem. It is a CC recommended agency too!

I had no idea they did this and was super surprised with a bottle of wine and a gorgeous platter of chocolate covered strawberries and chocolates on the Sun last week.

I book online, by comparing prices and going with the lowest. This last cruise, this online company was 100 total (for 2) less than the next closest online, and 149 less than NCL at the time.

I will stick with her now!

As far as I know, they do not.

Nita

We have received a bottle of wine on almost every cruise, but don't expect anything. It is a nice touch though and keeps me coming back to book our next cruise.:D

you mean from the booking agent at NCL you recieved a bottle of wine?

Ok, just finished reading some of your posts on this: it sounds like you are talking about TAs in general. The OP was asking about NCL agents as in PCC.

Nita

Archived