Packaged Air

stompy

Did RC get rid of Packaged Air?

I can't seem to get any flights for 2011 cruises unless I do Choice Air with the $15/$25 non-refundable service fee.

Custom Air is still listed as a benefit on Crown and Anchor but if you can't book the flight in the first place there doesn't seem to be a need for this service any longer...

Did I miss a memo someplace?

• 2 weeks later...
then they should not be touting it a benefit on the rewards. I discovered today that I cannot get air included and have to pay $50 for Choice Air, I will switch to other cruiselines who do offer air

To be quiet honest with you, by booking your own air will probably save you money in the long run and you can book the flights that you want.

The airfare that RCI was charging was sometimes way above what you could book on your own. You might find this true with other cruise lines as well.

So...rather than pay $50 for your air...you are going to pay up to 200% of the cost you COULD pay by booking it yourself?

:rolleyes:

Royal got rid of the air because no one was buying it because it was obscenely priced as contract air typically is. I remember being quoted once $779 for Royal's air and going online and finding REFUNDABLE tickets for $500ish.

The exact air that choiceair is holding for me and allowing me to pay at final payment is also offered on United Airlines for 1250.00 more per person. For $50 I believe it is a real good choice. I even was able to upgrade to economy plus for $79 each by going onto United directly with my booking number. At the airline counter we will check on a upgrade to business for a nominal fee, if they have it and its reasonable great, but if not we will be happy in economy plus. And the savings in airfare paid for the transatlantic.

The exact air that choiceair is holding for me and allowing me to pay at final payment is also offered on United Airlines for 1250.00 more per person. For $50 I believe it is a real good choice. I even was able to upgrade to economy plus for $79 each by going onto United directly with my booking number. At the airline counter we will check on a upgrade to business for a nominal fee, if they have it and its reasonable great, but if not we will be happy in economy plus. And the savings in airfare paid for the transatlantic.

Is this something new.........booking, holding and paying for flights when final payment is due?

When Choice Air was first announced when you booked your flights you had to pay for them.

Is this something new.........booking, holding and paying for flights when final payment is due?

When Choice Air was first announced when you booked your flights you had to pay for them.

I don't know if it's new, but I saw it offered on flights I need for a Voyager TA leaving Barcelona. Choice Air offered 3 options: non-refundable, refundable, and "Flex". The website described Flex as being able to make the reservation and freeze the price, but not having to pay until the cruise final payment date.

I had not heard of this either, and wondered how it was working out for people. Maybe it is new, and that's why we haven't heard any feedback yet.

By the way, in my situation, refundable was cheapest, flex was the next highest priced, but surprisingly close in price to refundable, and fully refundable was the most expensive by a large margin.

Bob

I don't know if it's new, but I saw it offered on flights I need for a Voyager TA leaving Barcelona. Choice Air offered 3 options: non-refundable, refundable, and "Flex". The website described Flex as being able to make the reservation and freeze the price, but not having to pay until the cruise final payment date.

I had not heard of this either, and wondered how it was working out for people. Maybe it is new, and that's why we haven't heard any feedback yet.

By the way, in my situation, refundable was cheapest, flex was the next highest priced, but surprisingly close in price to refundable, and fully refundable was the most expensive by a large margin.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It sounds like it must be something new especially with the three options you've mentioned above. Guess when they did away with Custom Air, they improved Choice Air.:)

...By the way, in my situation, refundable was cheapest, flex was the next highest priced, but surprisingly close in price to refundable, and fully refundable was the most expensive by a large margin.

After I looked at what I posted, I realized I had made a mistake. This should read:

Non-refundable was cheapest, flex was the next highest priced, but surprisingly close in price to non-refundable, and fully refundable was the most expensive by a large margin.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bob

I'm watching for flights to Venice for our Voyager cruise next October. Right now, Choice Air is showing me an option for business class from Charlotte for $1,985 on Lufthansa one way. On the Lufthansa site , it is $5,806.

My wife has leg issues and has to be able to elevate her feet so we need either 3 coach seats or business class. That's a lot more than 3 coach seats, but not as bad as on the airline sites (and it is really much more comfortable than trying to sit sort of sideways). I chose the lowest option and it is refundable with a $175 fee. Flex is $2,194 and no fee to cancel up to 60 days, then it is $175. The refundable is the same as Lufthansa's so there is no advantage there to use Choice Air. I think that is well worth $15. I didn't see any option to hold off paying until final payment, so that is a downside, but one I can live with.

I am waiting until the other airlines get in range (about 2 weeks) to see if there is anything better, but I am impressed with how much better the price is on Choice Air. If their round trip prices are like the ones on the web sites (lower than one-way), I will get it in a heartbeat and do an eastbound TA in 2012 to use the return flight (or just cancel it).

And you can still buy transfers if you want to, but they are no longer included automatically. Overall, I like the tool and how it works. If nothing else, it gives me a decent benchmark to compare against.

And there is still a benefit for C&A. They will waive the fee for Choice Air Plus (an additional $35 over the non-refundable) for Platunum and above.

ChoiceAir Plus is a service providing professional assistance for guests that prefer a high-touch, concierge level of service when making their travel arrangements. The agent will present all of the appropriate flight options and prices, for even the most complex itinerary, and will complete the reservations over the phone – assuring that all of the details have been addressed. It will replace our Custom Air program on July 1, 2010.

We have just saved £900 by booking our own flights for a 5 night Liberty cruise ,Royal wanted £1400 ( £355 each for 4 of us ) and we paid just under £500 for the 4 of us , admittedly we have to sort out our own transfers , but it would have been madness to lose all that money .

...there is still a benefit for C&A. They will waive the fee for Choice Air Plus (an additional $35 over the non-refundable) for Platunum and above.

ChoiceAir Plus is a service providing professional assistance for guests that prefer a high-touch, concierge level of service when making their travel arrangements. The agent will present all of the appropriate flight options and prices, for even the most complex itinerary, and will complete the reservations over the phone – assuring that all of the details have been addressed. It will replace our Custom Air program on July 1, 2010.

Bob, I think we are on the same TA, except it looks like you are starting from the cruise preceding the actual TA. I have a question on the Choice Air fee waiver. Are all the Choice Air fees waived for Platinum and above, or only the additional fee for Choice Air Plus?

Right now I'm looking at one-way from STL->BCN, and the Flex rate is showing about $800 a person. I thought that was pretty good.

Bob

Bob,

As I read the FAQs, it looks like Choice Air Plus costs $35 on top of the non-refundable Choice Air fee and that is the only part that is waived. So you will pay $15 to use Choice Air ($25 for international), but you can get the Plus Service for free.

The only problem with that is that I know what I want and can evaluate any options that come up, so unless the agent is on the phone with me while he/she is looking at all the choices, I don't see that there is a lot of value to it. But it may be that they will take all the information, go away and make the searches and if they can't find exactly what you wanted, get back with you to explain what is going on. Nice for those who haven't traveled a lot, but I have made many, many reservations for trips far more complex than Charlotte to Venice.

Yes, we are on the same TA (and looking forward to it) but we are getting on the Voyager for two weeks before the TA. I'm guessing more options will open up when we get within 330 days of Oct 30th (which should be about 12/4). I can see flights about a week before I need them and I can choose between Delta or Lufthansa for close to the same price. Lufthansa opens their schedule a little earlier than Delta so I will wait another week or so. So now it becomes a question of schedule and airplanes (there is a lot of difference in how good some seats are on airlines).

Just for fun, I tried Choice Air for STL-BCN for Oct 11th and got a Delta itinerary on Flex (no fee to cancel up to 60 days out) for $610. American had an option for $768

Bob,

As I read the FAQs, it looks like Choice Air Plus costs $35 on top of the non-refundable Choice Air fee and that is the only part that is waived. So you will pay $15 to use Choice Air ($25 for international), but you can get the Plus Service for free.

The only problem with that is that I know what I want and can evaluate any options that come up, so unless the agent is on the phone with me while he/she is looking at all the choices, I don't see that there is a lot of value to it. But it may be that they will take all the information, go away and make the searches and if they can't find exactly what you wanted, get back with you to explain what is going on. Nice for those who haven't traveled a lot, but I have made many, many reservations for trips far more complex than Charlotte to Venice.

Yes, we are on the same TA (and looking forward to it) but we are getting on the Voyager for two weeks before the TA. I'm guessing more options will open up when we get within 330 days of Oct 30th (which should be about 12/4). I can see flights about a week before I need them and I can choose between Delta or Lufthansa for close to the same price. Lufthansa opens their schedule a little earlier than Delta so I will wait another week or so. So now it becomes a question of schedule and airplanes (there is a lot of difference in how good some seats are on airlines).

Just for fun, I tried Choice Air for STL-BCN for Oct 11th and got a Delta itinerary on Flex (no fee to cancel up to 60 days out) for $610. American had an option for $768

If you have the choice for no cost difference, go with the Lufthansa. Their transatlantic service is far superior to any US carrier.

Bob,

Thanks for the helpful info.

I've been trying STL-BCN for Oct 27, and all I get is Iberia for $789 (refundable with fees) and $829 (Flex). For that small difference, I'd go with Flex.

I'm not experienced at all with international carriers, but reading here on CC, I've read some negative things about Iberia. The good part is that the routing is non-stop from Chicago. If I book ORD-BCN, I get Lufthansa included in the choices, which I've heard good things about, but with connections in Europe.

By the way, when I look at the explanation of Flex, on the Search Flights page it says payment due at final cruise payment. Once I click Search and see the flight choices, if I hover the mouse over "Flex", it says fully refundable up to 60 days before. So I'm confused about Flex. Do you pay at final cruise payment, or pay up front and get to cancel with no penalty up to 60 days before?

Bob

Bob,

If you check the Voyager Website in my signature and go to Useful Links, look at Skytrax. They have reviews of airlines and seats. Unfortunately, Iberia doesn't get very good marks, but non-stop is good. From our experience, I would allow at least 1:45 or so for a connection at either Frankfurt or Amsterdam and 2+ hours at Charles de Gaulle. Those are the only European airports where we have had connections. In my opinion, MAS and FRA are no worse than ORD, but I am NOT a fan of CDG.

I based my original comments on flex and lowest terms on the rollover so I have no idea when payment will be due. I will also be interested to see if it gives any more information a little further in the booking process.

If you go back a few days (I tried 10/16), you will find a very good option on Continental for $579 (lowest) or $610 (flex). It has only one change in Newark. Hopefully, in about 10-11 days, you will find that same deal available for the 27th.

Bob,

If you check the Voyager Website in my signature and go to Useful Links, look at Skytrax. They have reviews of airlines and seats. Unfortunately, Iberia doesn't get very good marks, but non-stop is good. From our experience, I would allow at least 1:45 or so for a connection at either Frankfurt or Amsterdam and 2+ hours at Charles de Gaulle. Those are the only European airports where we have had connections. In my opinion, MAS and FRA are no worse than ORD, but I am NOT a fan of CDG.

I based my original comments on flex and lowest terms on the rollover so I have no idea when payment will be due. I will also be interested to see if it gives any more information a little further in the booking process.

If you go back a few days (I tried 10/16), you will find a very good option on Continental for $579 (lowest) or $610 (flex). It has only one change in Newark. Hopefully, in about 10-11 days, you will find that same deal available for the 27th.

Thanks again for your valuable comments.

Bob

I believe you need a booking number to access the Choice Air information.

I haven't found a way to get around that. Plus, your flight dates have to fit the cruise parameters (you can't do a dummy price that has a return before the cruise ends). So if you are trying to forecast a future cruise that is close to a year out, you won't be able to check a roundtrip.

I've run into that as while the airlines are showing flights to Venice for our b2b next October, the return is too far out. So I can at least see that a one-way ticket is far less than the same flights on the airline sites, but I have no idea yet about getting home.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check for flight prices with Choice Air before you actually have a reservation number with Royal Caribbean?

You have to have a valid res # without any air reservations on it and you have to have paid your deposit before they will let you access flights and fares

Archived