Roll call - Cloud Dec 4

north-bound

Thank you for starting this thread. I assumed that it was there but that I couldn't find it.

We're residents of Los Angeles (the ship is only 30 minutes away by pre-ordered van) as we live in Playa del Rey, literally within sight of LAX. The shuttle services are much less expensive than taxis and they're pretty sure to know the way. The web site http://www.sanpedro/spcom/crusshp.hom lists a number of van services. Super Shuttle which will pick up anywhere is probably the best known, along with United Checker Cab Co-op which runs an ad at that URL. Be careful you go to the Port of San Pedro, not to the Port of Liong Beach, as both are part of the Port of Los Angeles.

We enjoy great dining, photography and cruising. We've been on about 15 high-end cruises (most 2 weeks or more), and one of the best was on Silversea that went round trip from Sydney by way of the Great Barrier Reefs and New Guinea. I was the part-owner of a Swedish company back in the 90s, so I've been to Sweden about 30 times. The most fun, however, was on a Crystal Baltic Cruise that left from Stockholm the same time as the Tall Ships Festival. Great partying, photos and a friendly atmosphere.

If you, or any cruisers on the Silver Cloud need to know anything about Los Angeles, we're at your service! Looking forward to meeting you.

How nice to know that I will not be the only one from CC on this cruise. Nice that you have been to Stockholm, that is my home town. I have seen the Tall Ships in Stockholm twice; love to see all the beautiful ships come in. But that may be because as a teenager I spent a few summers living on an old trawler, mowing around in the Stockholm Archipelago.

Today I am retired, only do voluntary work a few days a week. I will be traveling solo and this will be cruise number 17 for me. I like to travel, both cruises and land tours. When I was still working I had to travel on business quite often, mostly in Europe. Of course on a business trip you don’t see much more than airports, taxis and conference rooms, but sometimes there was the opportunity to stay for a week-end.

It will be the first time for me to LAX but I have made no special plans. I have booked with Super Shuttle to take me from the airport to the hotel in Long Beach where I will spend two nights. I am aware that I have to go to San Pedro to meet the ship, but I got the impression that it would be better to stay in Long Beach pre cruise. I will need some rest after the long flights from Stockholm and I intend to do a bit of shopping. I like to buy clothes when I am in the US, and right now the exchange rate to the US$ is in my favor.

Really looking forward to this cruise and to meeting you.

Long Beach -- at least in the area around the marina -- is pleasant and safe. Which hotel are you booked into?

The main attractions in that the marina area of Long Beach are the Aqarium and the Convention Center, but for any decent shopping or choice of more than a few good restaurants you'll require a rental car as cabs are not available on the street and the distances can be considerable. Most of the other neighborhoods in Long Beach are strictly commercial or very poor, and are not areas in which you want to walk around in the evening.

You may want to consider staying in Marina del Rey instead, which is 5 minutes from LAX and about 25 minutes from San Pedro. It's much more pleasant. It's a great walking area with over 20 restaurants and about 6000 pleasure boats; and it's closer to the best clothes shopping areas of Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. The Marina del Rey Ritz Carlton is truly world-class and it's about $300-$350 on most nights. There are also more modest hotels that start about $100. The Marina del Rey Hotel, at $100-$150, is located, like the Ritz, on the water and the boat slips are only about 10 meters away. Either location is populated by very friendly locals and tourists, and also completely safe at any time of the day or night. Actually, the area reminds us of the area around the Old City in Stockholm, except that MDR was built in the 1950s and doesn't have as many shops. However, you can always cab to Santa Monica for the best shopping.

Also, while it's further from LAX and the port by about 15 minutes, the beach area of Santa Monica would be an excellant area in which to stay since the best shopping and restaurants are only a 5-minute walk away. You wouldn't need a car there, as you won't in Marina del Rey. Either are regular stops for the Super Shuttles. Do you remember the old joke of WC Fields, that first prize in a contest was a week in Philadephia, and the second prize was 2 weeks in Philadelphia? That's kind of what I think about 2 days in Long Beach!

If you want any further info about hotels and shopping in LA, please don't hesitate to contact me. My email is stevefrankel@ca.rr.com.

Frank, reading your post I realize I should have started this thread long ago. And thank you for all your helpful information. I am sure I would have preferred staying in Marina del Rey rather than Long Beach. But as it is now I have everything booked. Though at least I may still have won first prize since it is more like one day in Long Beach than two. I arrive at the airport at 3 pm which is midnight Stockholm time. Before I get to the hotel it will feel like well after midnight and all I want to do is sleep. I always try to adapt to a new time soon straight away so I will try to stay awake as long as possible and I do that by walking. From what I have read I can walk in the convention area, and it will not be important to me where I walk, as long as I don’t fall asleep before 9 pm your time.

Then there is a full day when I had hoped to do some shopping and more walking in the evening to stay awake. This day I will also want something to eat of course, but I understood there were restaurants in the convention area, which is also where my TA booked the hotel, named Avia. They have a rooftop pool area (if it is not too cold) and a gym where I can also spend some time to stay awake. If there is no shopping that is what in my mind I will miss most in Long Beach.

And the next day it is time to check out and go to San Pedro to meet the ship.

But you have been here on this side many times and surely know everything about time zones. I am happy to just have a relaxing first day, to wait for my soul to arrive, and to get in the mood for what I hope will be a great cruise.

Sorry if I was unduly negative -- you can really enjoy yourself in Long Beach for a few days. First, I forgot their major tourist attraction since I've done it several times: the Queen Mary. It's worth a half-day to tour this reconstructed ship and I understand it has even some nice restaurants on it now.

Also, you can get a tourist bus called The Passport for $1.25 that will take you all over Long Beach. I believe it is a "step on, step off" bus. In addition to taking it to the Queen Mary, you can walk around the yacht harbor which has several yacht clubs and about 500 boats, and a nice promenade arouund the harbor. Also, take the Passport bus to Belmont Shore; it's a lovely reconstructed area with a few canals, very nice homes, and some nice restaurants and small shops. Here, the streets are so crowded with cars that a pedestrian is at an advantage.

Also, take the bus or a cab to Pine Avenue where there is Ocean Seafood, an excellant seafood restaurant. However, don't walk around that area at night because while it's busy and safe duriing the day, it's pretty "dicey" in the late evening so take a cab back to the hotel..

If you're like most Swedes you like American beef, which is much better than European beef. If so, there's a Brazilian restaurant in Long Beach,Fuego Maya that's a great place to eat (all the beef, lamb and sausage you want, handcarved by passing waiters and caphirana (sp?), a wonderful sugar-based alchohol drink that will knock you over. The restaurant is very good and I think it may be located in a small complex that has a pretty good live theater as well.

And if you want a mild adventure unlike anything you can get in Sweden, cab over to Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles. It's always crowded and you'll be made welcome, and treated to some very good "soul food." In the evening, they often open up the Jazz Club (the Seabird Lounge) which is located in the same building for some terrific music. This restaurant is very simple and nearly all of the patrons are Black; and as long as you like fried chicken, waffles and jazz in the evening, you'll do just fine, and you'll spend no more than $20 on the food and a like amount in the jazz club. Call in advance to learn if the club will be open. Also, be sure to arrive and depart by cab since the neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired. My wife and I go there all of the time for the music when groups we know are playing there. It may be open 24 hours a day.

Let me know what you're thinking of doing; and then, on the ship, what you actually end up doing. From what I was told, the earliest time for boarding will be about 1:30, because the harbor's security precautions. Usually we like to arrive about 11am. If you hear anything about earlier boarding, please let me know.

Again, thank you for all the useful information. I am now convinced that I will be fine in Long Beach. The Queen Mary, the tourist bus to take me around, and walks through the harbor area will certainly keep me busy and happy for one day. And please excuse me for mixing up your name yesterday, calling you Frank instead of Steve. By the way, my name is Ulla, which may tell you that I am a woman. I have printed your post and will bring it with me so that I can take final decisions on what to do, when I have arrived.

I am well aware of the fact that American beef is so much better than what we have at home. Most of the time I am more of a fish person but I certainly can’t resist your beef. Maybe I should try to make it to Ocean Seafood for lunch, and then settle for beef somewhere in the evening. The Roscoe’s house and Jazz Club may be a little too adventurous for an old lady travelling solo, even if I love jazz.

So far I haven’t received any cruise documents, so I know nothing about boarding time. But I am sure that will not be a problem. I usually check out at noon and go to wherever the ship is located and there have been no problems on any cruise up until now.

You will certainly have a full report of what I have been up to in the LA area when we meet aboard Cloud.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, if you live to shop & travel, it will be easy for you to rent a car for the day and go down to Costa Mesa and Newport Beach (about 40 minutes away) where they have two of the best shopping malls in the US. One is along side the 405 freeway in Costa Mesa, and the other is at the south end of Newport Beach and is a destination in itself! See you onboard!

We were on the Cloud for the TransAtlantic. On board the entire crew was talking about how terrible December 4 is going to be. This will be the first US port of call. They have to have Coast Guard inspection, Health Department inspection, and everything else. The crew will most likely not be allowed to leave the ship. I wouldn't go to Port too early or go with the idea that you will most likely have to wait to board. Once we were in San Juan and that was also a first US port for the ship. We could not board until around 4 pm.

We were on the Cloud for the TransAtlantic. On board the entire crew was talking about how terrible December 4 is going to be. This will be the first US port of call. They have to have Coast Guard inspection, Health Department inspection, and everything else. The crew will most likely not be allowed to leave the ship. I wouldn't go to Port too early or go with the idea that you will most likely have to wait to board. Once we were in San Juan and that was also a first US port for the ship. We could not board until around 4 pm.

I had occasion to board the Celebrity Eclipse about a month ago in San Pedro, and passenger boarding was permitted about 1 pm. Given that this ship has only about 15% of the passengers of the the Eclipse, I'd doubt that there will be problems for the passengers. We're planning to get to the ship at 1:30.

As for whether the staff will be permitted to disembark that is an entirely different matter and I wouldn't presume to guess whether that will happen and what the results may be. If the ship only arrives that morning, the terminal is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and it will take a cab ride to get into San Pedro or anywhere else where's there is signs of life.

I guess I neglected to say that the Hotel Manager told us no one would be allowed to get on until all inspections were completed. They were keeping all of the staff on to attempt to get inspections completed quicker. They were afraid that by the time the inspections were completed, there would not be time to allow any staff off the ship. Inspectors also would not board the ship until all of the previous guests had disembarked. Just repeating what we were told.

Archived