Family ocean view with verandah on millie

atlantic cruiser

Hi,

Congratulations on getting 8166!! You're gonna love it!!

We've been in this stateroom and cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed it.

No, we didn't find it particularly windy. If you are out at the very end of the extension you'll feel wind, but it wasn't bothersome, at least no more than any veranda.

The large area just beyond your "patio doors" is covered and features a nice sized table and chairs, and you should have a couple of very nice lounge chairs, too.

Of all the balcony staterooms we've had over the years, we used our balcony on this one the most!

Have a wonderful cruise!!

CM

...Wondering if these extended balconies tend to be really windy? Also any comments about this category would be appreciated.

These cabins are the best!

I've never noticed it to be real windy. Might be at the end of the veranda in some cases, but the veranda is huge and the portion closer to the doors is protected by the ship in front of it so in most conditions it will not be too bad there.

I have some photos of 7202 right beneath it, and a similar cabin, here: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/FV-Family-View-Aft-Cabins/11677184_XdX2v#823869888_YQBhG

Enjoy! Only recommendation about the veranda is to pull any furniture back under the covered portion when you're not using it (overnight and while at port) so it will stay dry if it rains or if they are washing something on the ship above you.

We were in #9197 - opposite side of #8166 and up one deck - last February. For lounging, it can be a little breezy very close to the side and, as others have said, out at the end. If lounges are close to the party wall and the dining table close to the rail you'll be very comfortable.

We usually travel Concierge Class, but would jump at the opportunity to have a Family Ocean View again - anytime, any cruise on an "M" class. If there is a drawback, it is that the FOVs are generally reserved for families so the possibility of the piping voices of little tykes on the veranda is pretty high. However, tykes rarely stay in one place for very long and they have a tendency to move pretty quickly, so silence descends again.

We had a corner FV on the Constellation for a 2 week Baltic cruise. The two rooms allowed for privacy and the balcony was huge allowing great 280 degree views. It wasn't terribly windy and was definitely the best cabin on the ship next to the penthouse cabins in my opinion. We had our cc sailaway party on the balcony and had at least 30 people there at a time. We felt very spoiled with this cabin. If you are not traveling during a school break you will likely keep it and not get bumped for a family.

Having been so thrilled to get this wonderful cabin did not even think that there would be a chance of being bumped. I didn't think once cabin assigment was done and you were given definite cabin number that this could occur. Have never done a guarantee before. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

Just got off the Millie, in cabin FV 8181, port side corner. We ran alongside Hurricane Tomas, and I only felt the wind if I went out to the totally exposed part of the balcony. We regularly hung out wet bathing suits on chairs under the overhang and they never blew around.

Dh and I also just had this cabin this past January and here is how much we loved it.....we are booked, just next week, into the exact same cabin, just one floor below, into the 7202! We are sailors & only booked 7202 instead of 8166 to be closer to the water! Now here is your answer to the windy question. I just returned home for a wee shopping trip to purchase 4 more pashminas, as I freeze to death on the cruise ships. Why they keep it so cold is beyond me, but I will have to wrap up again beginning next week! Even if it is extremely hot outside, if there is even the slightest breeze out, I will freeze. How I survive winters in Canada is beyond me! Anyways, I spent so much time on our "football field" of a balcony and the only time I was every "cool" was in the evening, if I was on the outside of our balcony, alongside the railing, and I would only grab a pashmina and wrap myself up and I was fine. Every night, dh and I would go out to our balcony and take a nice shot of each other dressed up with the sun going down on the horizon, and my hair would just slightly blow, but not enough to ruin it at all, so that tells you that the wind is not usually too bad at all. Actually, while at sea, when I was laying on one of the loungers, I maybe could have used a bit more wind to cool off!

If you would live any pics of the cabin, or the balcony, or even of my "none blowing hair," I would be happy to email you some. One week and two days to go!!

Archived