Our Pre-Stay Barcelona

smoothdancer

Last month we did a med cruise, starting in Barcelona...

Here is my picture review of our 2 days there, prior to boarding. This was our first time to Europe and I struggled on how to plan... Hoping this review will help another first time Europe cruisers...

Enjoy

http://justcruisin-sv.com/Italy_Spain/jade%20page%201.htm

Here is my picture review of our 2 days there, prior to boarding. This was our first time to Europe and I struggled on how to plan... Hoping this review will help another first time Europe cruisers...

Enjoy

Thanks so much for sharing. We look forward to Barcelona next September.

Thanks for sharing your review and your photos! I got some great ideas about recording and journaling our trip. You've also led me to reconsider the HOHO bus - and the great reminder to "Take our time" and enjoy what we see rather than trying to cram it all in. :)

Good MN!!

I am not one for journals on a cruise, I just like to enjoy the time and not get hung up in journals... They way I do this is through pictures... We take a lot of cameras(3) and a lot of pictures. I then come home and make a folder for each port... I then work off of the pictures to write the review and it has worked for me so far.

Last year I bought one of thoes Flip video camera's which is also very cool.... Not a lot of time, I can fit it in my pocket, and yet it gives me great recall once home.

If you are interested in writting reviews let me give you my cruise review home page.... Every one of these reviews was done just by picture recall. Writting reviews is great fun, I wish you luck on your review adventure.....

http://justcruisin-sv.com/justcruisinsv.aspx

Wow, that review was brilliant, just brilliant. You managed to calm my nerves about "how to" enjoy Barcelona pre-cruise. Very practical information on what to expect, and how much a travel-weary person can accomplish in a given day and feel that it wasn't just a whirlwind of activity without any significant memories. We will be spending 3 days there pre-EPIC cruise August 2011. I am printing your review and putting it in the front of the vaca-folder! You are one of the many reasons that I am a cruise critic freak. Half the fun (or more) is in the planning!

Enjoy

What a wonderful review! Thanks for sharing it with us :) My family leaves in 2 weeks and we have a 1 1/2 day post-cruise stay planed for Barcelona. I've been stressing out after reading some of the posts about pick-pockets etc and worrying about "how can we possibly see this, that, etc" . You showed me how to do it right!

What an excellent review and perfectly clear pictures. What type of camera did you use ?

Did you do the same type of narration with pictures for the rest of your cruise ? I would like to know your itinerary as we are heading there next Sept and hopefully could learn alot just like we have with Barcelona.

I am glad you all enjoyed and was helpful.

For the ports I used a Canon Rebel. I have a few different removable lens that I was changing out as necessary. For inside, espeically in resturants I used a small camera, a Pentax Optio..

Yes my narative type of review will be the same for the ports. I am working on the reviews now for Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome and the Almafi Coast/Naples. I also used a flip video and once this is done will put together some videos of the ports.

I will come back and let you know when the port reviews are posted.

Dancer, I loved the pictures. My wife and I are doing the Epic in June 2011 out of Barcelona. This is the 12th cruise, 1st to Europe.

I am planning to fly in on Friday for a Sunday cruise,(out of Boston now, my an NYC airport, price and times).

Have made my hotel reservations already with Holiday Inn points. Any pre-cruise advise would be great.

Would love to see the review of those other ports. We are going to those next Sept and the info would be much appreciated.

I am glad you all enjoyed and was helpful.

For the ports I used a Canon Rebel. I have a few different removable lens that I was changing out as necessary. For inside, espeically in resturants I used a small camera, a Pentax Optio..

Yes my narative type of review will be the same for the ports. I am working on the reviews now for Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome and the Almafi Coast/Naples. I also used a flip video and once this is done will put together some videos of the ports.

I will come back and let you know when the port reviews are posted.

Bigfoot... Did close to the same as your plans. I am guessing you are going to be quite happy with your travel plans, it works great, New England to Spain!

We flew out of Newark non stop on Thurday evening, arriving in Barcelona 9:00 AM on Friday. Aside from my comments on our decision to not go the mad dash route here is my only other suggestion.

I did some fun research on-line and picked up a few books of the history of Barcelona, the period buildings I would be seeing, artists life of the time, ect...When I stood before certain places I had this background/knowledge in my head and it really enhanced my overall experence.... It also was the basis for many interesting conversations my husband and I had.

Also do take advantage of the hotel staff to pick your dining choices... They give great advise and their is no language barriers to speak of.

For us, the freestyle cruise experience was a perfect marriage for this trip... Someday, like you I would love to sail on the Epic.

I loved your review. We're booked on Carnival Magic Reposition Oct 28, 2011 so I'm starting to cruise the boards. I got so excited reading your post and I can't wait to revisit Barcelona. I have only been to Barcelona once around 1985 or 1986 and I only hit the beaches. This time I want to actually visit the city and see the sights! Thanks for all your info.

Countryshopper

Smooth.......nice link, love that! I need to do something like that from our trips!

We(son and I) have been to Barcelona before but hubby has not. We are going to do a 1 day prior, 1 day after stay. Did the W have a shuttle to the port? I will ask in another thread if any hotels do, and if not, I am sure it is not that spendy to get a cab....shuttles are just easier it seems.

Maybe they are not, if I recall, your cab driver took you right up to the line almost?

Did you like W or the other hotel best? I think both are on my Starwood list. Since we are doing a 'split' stay, we could do a night at one and night at the other also.

Hard question to answer. But yes if you have Starwood points to use, both hotels are available with points, but the W being a 5 star takes a lot of points!

So if you want a 5 star you will be thrilled with this hotel, but you will need to take a taxi to the center, it is a little out of the way..... If you are looking for a place to relax in style this is the one. Warning.... you will not want to leave this hotel so it really depends on your plans.

If your plans are touring Barcelona I think Le Meridan is better as it really puts you in walking distance of everything. This one is a 4 star but think 3 star compared to the USA rating system. Still, nice. Cant help on shuttle bus from the W, dont know...

Oh, tip of the day... If you take a taxi to the ship...The taxi drivers start the meter as soon as you are at the curb... This means they take thier time loading your suitcases, and the meter is running.... Help them with the suitcases!! Learned this one the hard way.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the great review and helpful info. My family is traveling to Barcelona for a med cruise next summer. First time and very excited. Concerned a bit about all I've read about Barc pickpockets. We are pretty experienced travelers but concerned nonetheless. Any experiences while you were there? Did you prepare for that? Thanks.

When we went during the summer, 3 gals and a 10 year old, no problems at all.

We did take advice from what we read.......put on a cross body purse or carry your purse on your shoulder and in front of you.

Crowds, La Rambla, airport and bus area, and not one of the three of us gals had any issues.;)

Smooth.......nice link, love that! I need to do something like that from our trips!

We(son and I) have been to Barcelona before but hubby has not. We are going to do a 1 day prior, 1 day after stay. Did the W have a shuttle to the port? I will ask in another thread if any hotels do, and if not, I am sure it is not that spendy to get a cab....shuttles are just easier it seems.

Maybe they are not, if I recall, your cab driver took you right up to the line almost?

Did you like W or the other hotel best? I think both are on my Starwood list. Since we are doing a 'split' stay, we could do a night at one and night at the other also.

Not sure which med cruise you are doing but we are doing pre cruise at Le Meridien Barcelona with our son ( 2 rooms) and during the Cairo overnight same 2 more rooms at Le Meridien Cairo - all with Starwood points. We have booked a private tour guide in Cairo and using the points instead of paying for the hotel offset the extra cost of private guides. Something to think about... Have a great trip.

We are very new to SPG/Starwood. Not enough points for rooms yet, we missed out on that 30k bonus miles promo they did prior to when we joined :(

I am not positive where we are staying yet but I do have other plans with points so we may use some of them.

I should work on that today.

Dancer, I loved the pictures. My wife and I are doing the Epic in June 2011 out of Barcelona. This is the 12th cruise, 1st to Europe.

I am planning to fly in on Friday for a Sunday cruise,(out of Boston now, my an NYC airport, price and times).

Have made my hotel reservations already with Holiday Inn points. Any pre-cruise advise would be great.

Bigfoot,

Who are you flying with? We are on Brilliance out of Barcelona in September.

We booked the air option when we booked the cruise. I keep looking at the web and airline web sites for a lower price.

I check the NCL site a few times a week, I look to check the fares. We booked in June, the cruise fare has gone down $710, the air fare up $800+.

Check Condor also. I think they may still fly into Barcelona, and upgrading to business class is cheap. Many non stop flights too, my friend flew here from Alaska non stop, she said it was much better than other airlines and the non stop part was a bonus. I think they are seasonal but if you are flying in June you may be in luck:)

Archived