Upgrade Fairy Questions - How early? etc

Maddle

For those of you that have been contacted by Carnival's illustrious Upgrade Fairy....how far out from your cruise were you called? Had you booked by Carnival Vacation consultant (PVP?) or a travel agent? Did your caller ID say "Carnival Cruiselines?"

I ask because we are just a little less than two months out from our cruise, and I usualy ignore "out of area" or "unavailable" calls, letting them go to my machine, and then I pick up if it is important...plus I kind of would like to know if it is even possible they might call since I booked with a TA.

Thanks -

Maddle

I had an email sent to me for upgrades this past Tuesday. We sail on Dec. 21/2010. I went from a 7A obstructed Balcony to 8 k extended balcony triple in size then the normal cabin . Cabin 8234 :D

This is my first upgrade . Have been patiently waiitng for the call when along came an email !!!!!

I didn't give any detail just to call a number with code included in the email....

Charleyann

I had an email sent to me for upgrades this past Tuesday. We sail on Dec. 21/2010. I went from a 7A obstructed Balcony to 8 k extended balcony triple in size then the normal cabin . Cabin 8234 :D

This is my first upgrade . Have been patiently waiitng for the call when along came an email !!!!!

I didn't give any detail just to call a number with code included in the email....

Charleyann

Sorry but the cabin itself is identical in size. The balcony is slightly bigger though (20 sq. ft) but much of that is the slant outward on the floor of the railing.

okay - I won't worry about the caller ID part anymore.

Do you think it matters if you booked with a TA or directly with Carnival? or is it just random?

Maddle

We were called on 10/19 around 7 for our cruise coming up on Nov. 27th. We booked online and never spoke with a PVP.

Charleyann

Congrats! Sounds like you got a good deal. When I sailed on the Miracle (long ago when upgrades were free) we were surprised with an extended balcony, stateroom 8228.

You wouldn't think a few feet would make a difference, but after seeing so many people complain about how their knees touched the railing when they sat outside on their balcony, it was night and day!

Have a great cruise! :D

Congrats! Sounds like you got a good deal. When I sailed on the Miracle (long ago when upgrades were free) we were surprised with an extended balcony, stateroom 8228.

You wouldn't think a few feet would make a difference, but after seeing so many people complain about how their knees touched the railing when they sat outside on their balcony, it was night and day!

Have a great cruise! :D

Thank you so much ! You have a great cruise too!

Merry Christmas:D

Charleyann

Sorry but the cabin itself is identical in size. The balcony is slightly bigger though (20 sq. ft) but much of that is the slant outward on the floor of the railing.

YEs...but I went from obstructed view on Deck 5 - to unobstructed on deck 8 to extended and wider balcony. I know it is the same size balcony but wider and no obstruction ! Great upgrade for me !!!! It would have cost me an additional $500 o book this !

Charleyann

YEs...but I went from obstructed view on Deck 5 - to unobstructed on deck 8 to extended and wider balcony. I know it is the same size balcony but wider and no obstruction ! Great upgrade for me !!!! It would have cost me an additional $500 o book this !

Charleyann

This is a very large balcony......looks at least triple the size of an extended balcony. We got an upgrade to the same cabin for our upcoming Legend cruise. Lots of pictures out there of this room. Check out cruiselineroomsdotcom there are pics of 8234 on the Miracle!

I never got a call but I got one of those cool e-mails! We got upgraded for $40 from the very front of upper deck on Valor to Lido deck port side balcony! I am really excited to be up a few more decks, get port side, and to be close to the food and pools!!! I figured that $40 was an awesome deal!!!

For those of you that have been contacted by Carnival's illustrious Upgrade Fairy....how far out from your cruise were you called? Had you booked by Carnival Vacation consultant (PVP?) or a travel agent? Did your caller ID say "Carnival Cruiselines?"

I ask because we are just a little less than two months out from our cruise, and I usualy ignore "out of area" or "unavailable" calls, letting them go to my machine, and then I pick up if it is important...plus I kind of would like to know if it is even possible they might call since I booked with a TA.

Thanks -

Maddle

You booked with a TA, and anything related to your booking i.e. upgrades/upsells would go thru them first since they technically are responsible for your booking. The cruiseline would not contact you directly since you booked with a TA. ;)

This is a very large balcony......looks at least triple the size of an extended balcony. We got an upgrade to the same cabin for our upcoming Legend cruise. Lots of pictures out there of this room. Check out cruiselineroomsdotcom there are pics of 8234 on the Miracle!

You too ? Awesome ...

Charleyann

I got a call today - for next week!! 1st time (and funny how I was just commenting (okay complaining) I had never received a call. We went up a couple of categories for an awesome price!!! James asked not to be called a fairy but a NINJA!!!!

We just got a call this evening for the Fascination Bahamas cruise December 11th. The only thing being offered was to move us from an Oceanview on Empress Deck to a Grand Suite for $540. When you add that to what we already paid for our room it worked out to be just a $360 discount.

I asked her what offers she had to just go from OV to Balcony - she quoted the same price as on Priceline.

We just got a call this evening for the Fascination Bahamas cruise December 11th. The only thing being offered was to move us from an Oceanview on Empress Deck to a Grand Suite for $540. When you add that to what we already paid for our room it worked out to be just a $360 discount.

I asked her what offers she had to just go from OV to Balcony - she quoted the same price as on Priceline.

How much of a discount were you expecting? Do they discount them much more than that?

How much of a discount were you expecting? Do they discount them much more than that?

I don't know. This is only the second time someone has offered me an upgrade for any cruise. Took the first one from Royal Caribbean on a Grandeur of the Seas cruise in February 2010; declined this one.

Have been reading about people moving from inside to ocean view for $30, another from ocean view to balcony for $40. Lots of people saying the deal was too good to pass up without saying how much.

To me, knowing the price difference is interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an email offer yesterday for our Jan 16th cruise...so seems fairly standard in the 40-50 day area. We are the organizers (not sure the technical word for this, but we're the ones who set up a small group sailing for some friends). We have a total of 5 cabins booked and everyone booked on their own, using our group code.

Weird thing was that the email came to ME, listing out three of the five cabin's booking numbers as being eligible (no mention of the other two). All three of us had booked inside cheapest available (1A??). The upsell was for an ocean view (6B) for $70/cabin. All three of us took the offer, as we were all a bit regretful that we had not done so in the first place and had been considering upgrading on our own for hundreds of dollars. With 2 adults and 2 teens in a room...35 extra square feet might be worth A LOT.

Archived