Victoria BC?

barbarabeeb

I was just wondering what everyone has done while they were docked in Victoria BC? Celebrity does not have the shore excursions up for this port yet. I was looking at the other cruise lines and saw that most of them have buchart gardens listed for 55- after doing some internet research this is one that has intrested us. How far is this from the cruise terminal? I am trying to justify spending 55- on something that is only 22- (can. dollars) to get in. Has anyone done this on your own? about how much is a cab ride?? would it be easier to do it through the cruise line (assuming celebrity will have the excursions for Victoria up soon)

thanks in advance

carolyn

Carolyn,

We did Butchard on our own the last time we were in Victoria. We took the city bus which has an all day pass. Just make sure that you have Canadian money so that you can pick it up at the pier instead of walking into town like we did.

Butchard is about 14 miles from Victoria so it take about 20 to 30 minutes on the bus from the Victoria proper. The total cost for us was around $48 which included the bus pass, lunch at the garden and admission. It should be more these days since we went in 2000 and I'm sure that prices have gone up significiantly. We ended up spending almost 4 hours at the gardens. Many people on the ship's tour we very upset when they learned that they spend twice as much money and spent half the time at Butchard gardens than we did.

Just make sure that you have enough time to spend at the garden and get back before your ship sails. We are going on the Regal this June and we will not have a lot of time in Victoria during the hours that the garden is open. We will be going to Craigdorth (sp) castle for a tour and then breeze by the Empress hotel before we set sail at 2 PM.

I don't know how long you will be in Victoria but try to get to the museam it's a great way to get a feel for the area and well worth the time. The gardens is a great tour also try going for a walk around the causway (inner harbour), have a drink at the Bengal lounge in the Empress , have a beer at Spinnakers one of our many in-house brew pubs. You could take a carriage ride ,go to Craigdarroch castle the city has lots of attractions that you could do to keep you busy. I hope that you enjoy your stay in our city.

Hi Carolyn:

I agree with all of Steve's ideas! We live in Victoria also. Here are a few others ideas that I've posted elsewhere on the site:

Depending on how adventurous you are...

• rent mopeds and buzz around town (must be really, really brave!)
  • The Royal Museum is fabulous if you haven't been. I know, museum sounds dull, but it's really cool!
  • 5 minute taxi - Fort Street - start at Blanshard Street and walk up Fort to the area known as Antique Row - lots of interesting stores.
  • 5 minute taxi - In my honest opinion, the best fish & chips in town are at Spinnakers BrewPub - it's over the bridge on the other side of the inner harbour. It's a cool place on the harbourfront and the food is great - My husband loves the salmon & chips! You can walk along the waterfront, over the bridge and all the way back to the Empress from there.
  • 3 minute taxi (or walking distance) is Barbs Fish & Chips on the docks at Fisherman's Wharf - not too far from the cruiseship pier. It's fun! It is closed for the winter, but should open in early May for the cruiseship season!
  • 5 minute taxi - to Oak Bay - a lovely area of town, quaint cobblestoned street with lots of neat specialty stores and shops, Blethering Place Tea House, Starbucks, Italian bakery, antiques.
  • I've never done it, but the double decker sightseeing buses could be fun especially if you sit on the upper level in the ones with an open top! It tours Beacon Hill Park, Rockland area mansion, gorgous Uplands area and Oak Bay and takes you up to all the view points in the city like Mt. Tolmie. It'd be a great way to see the city.
  • 35 minutes - Sidney By The Sea (we locals just call it Sidney) - well worth the bus ride. Sidney's a beautiful seaside community - lots of cobblestoned streets - gorgeous galleries, shops, Starbucks, restaurants, and a great place to browse at leisure. At the end of the town on the docks is the RumRunner Pub - the food's really good.

Just a few suggestions - whatever you do, enjoy!

Franci

Archived