Exciting Deals - Can I upgrade?

6502programmer

I've got an existing booking on the 11/27 Century cruise. I saw that it will be on Tuesday's Exciting Deals. I know that May's change to the price match policy put an end to pining for fare matches after final payment, but my question is can I pay to upgrade? C2's and 2A/2B are both showing for more than what I paid for my current cabin.

Has anyone tried taking an existing booking and upgraded by paying the difference between the existing booking and the happy hour rate?

I've got an existing booking on the 11/27 Century cruise. I saw that it will be on Tuesday's Exciting Deals. I know that May's change to the price match policy put an end to pining for fare matches after final payment, but my question is can I pay to upgrade? C2's and 2A/2B are both showing for more than what I paid for my current cabin.

Has anyone tried taking an existing booking and upgraded by paying the difference between the existing booking and the happy hour rate?

Thanks for posting this question. Made me look at the Exciting Deals for my cruise and it is also listed. I just got off the phone with Celebrity and they said no problem to pay to upgrade at the listed prices. They just won't downgrade or give OBC. Can't wait to make that call Tuesday! :D

Linda

I booked before the May 17 cutoff, but I just moved from a C2 to a FV this week, and I got the price difference of $200 given to me as an OBC. Not sure if C2 to FV is considered upgrade or downgrade, but it is possible to get an OBC for the difference if the current price is cheaper and if you booked before the policy change.

I booked before the May 17 cutoff, but I just moved from a C2 to a FV this week, and I got the price difference of $200 given to me as an OBC. Not sure if C2 to FV is considered upgrade or downgrade, but it is possible to get an OBC for the difference if the current price is cheaper and if you booked before the policy change.

Not if the C2 is listed on an Tuesday special. While pretty much everything says "new bookings only", this one, they have historically toed the line on. That's why I was asking about UPGRADING (ie, spending more money :)) versus downgrading or grubbing for OBC. Neither of those is usually allowed.

Not if the C2 is listed on an Tuesday special. While pretty much everything says "new bookings only", this one, they have historically toed the line on. That's why I was asking about UPGRADING (ie, spending more money :)) versus downgrading or grubbing for OBC. Neither of those is usually allowed.

I did call about "grubbing" for downgrading to the 1C and receiving an OBC - no dice. Oh well, was worth asking! :rolleyes:

Sara

I did call about "grubbing" for downgrading to the 1C and receiving an OBC - no dice. Oh well, was worth asking! :rolleyes:

Yeah.. Even before the change in May to the price match policy, there were VERY few reports of people able to get a discount on happy hour specials. The few that did, typically, it involved cancelling the previous booking, paying the penalty, and establishing a new one, where ([new fare] + [penalty]) < [old fare].

I just tried to upgrade on a Tuesday Exciting Deal from a 9B to a C1 for +$30 through the TA. Celebrity denied the upgrade. Has anyone had any success? Should I try again later today?

No harm in trying, but in line with what my TA said would probably happen. She said that she's been denied more often than not, but that she'd be willing to ask on my behalf.

Just so you know several of my friends got upgraded or OBC on our cruise in December because the prices actually dropped yesterday across most categories before the Tuesday specials. You might want to check tomorrow on Celebrity's website and see if the prices are still reduced and then get your TA to get this for you if they can't now. Others were able to get the discounts and OBC today too, because while the Tuesday specials are for new bookings only, the prices have also dropped on our sailing. It's worth checking out on Celebrity's website to see what you can find and keep trying. Especially if you booked before the May change.

I also tried to upgrade today. No deal. Oh well, will keep checking prices.

No go for me either. My TA tried three times today, and got a no each time. She said that some of the happy hours are coded "L", which precludes upgrading, but that sometimes they change the coding during the day. In a nutshell, no harm in asking, but don't be surprised if you can't.

Archived