Epic Wireless Internet Speed

BeeeJay

Is the wireless internet on Epic fast enough for picture uploads?

For example if I take say 20 5-megabyte pictures (100 MB total) and try to upload will this take a similar time to normal broadband connections, ie. a couple minutes, or is it much slower to the point where something like this would take an hour?

I realize no one is timing the uploads, just curious as to others general experiences.

I was on the Epic in July and brought my laptop which I used exclusively in our cabin every evening to check email. While I don't know the exact speed I compare it to: faster than dial up, about the same speed as the economic dsl I had at home before I upgraded to Verizon Fios. I do know that I burned through an hour of paid internet pretty quick, and like I said I was just checking email not uploading or downloading video or photos. I hope this helps answer your question to some degree.

I would never attempt to upload 100 MB of data thru a ship's internet connection. You'd be lucky if it took only 4 hours. I would estimate the speed to be slightly better than dial-up but not by a lot.

Either copy your photos to a hard drive, thumb drive, or have the ship burn them to a CD. Better yet, buy several more SD cards (they're so cheap nowadays) and transfer them when you get home.

thanks both for the info. I will probably skip the internet entirely as my primary purpose would be to upload photos.

I had a suspicion from some posts it might be that slow for multimedia content. I'm rolling with an 8 gig SD card on a couple year old sony camera that uses seems to produce nice photos in a 5 MB range.

I'll follow your suggestion and just download/upload when I get home.

Archived