Camp Carnival for 5yr olds

scrapmamma

After reading another members message about their 6 yr old I was wondering about my 5yr old.

She will be with the little ones, I believe her age group will be 2-5. Since she is at the higher end of that will she still have age appropriate activities? I'm worried she will be bored in that age group. She loves doing crafts, dancing, playing wii and board games etc..

She thinks she'll be with "the babies" lol

Thanks!!

After reading another members message about their 6 yr old I was wondering about my 5yr old.

She will be with the little ones, I believe her age group will be 2-5. Since she is at the higher end of that will she still have age appropriate activities? I'm worried she will be bored in that age group. She thinks she'll be with "the babies" lol

Thanks!!

I do not have time tonight, but I will look and see if I have the papers for that age. I am pretty sure I grabbed all the age groups papers. I will post it in here tomorrow.

Keep in mind, it will be from the Legend. But I am pretty sure it is about the same on all ships.

My son is 4.5 and was in camp a few weeks ago. There was a 5 year old girl that we got to know who was in there with him. They both had tons of fun and wanted to go every night. I have the schedule and can scan it in Monday, if you'd like. But they were never bored. :)

My son is 4.5 and was in camp a few weeks ago. There was a 5 year old girl that we got to know who was in there with him. They both had tons of fun and wanted to go every night. I have the schedule and can scan it in Monday, if you'd like. But they were never bored. :)

I'm glad to hear they weren't bored. I wonder how they can keep the two yr olds entertained at the same time as the 5yr olds? That's my only concern.

They must have enough helpers there that they can sort of seperate the older ones in the group to keep them entertained with age appropriate activities.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm glad to hear they weren't bored. I wonder how they can keep the two yr olds entertained at the same time as the 5yr olds? That's my only concern.

This is exactly what I am worried about too. Seems to me the 5 year olds should be in the next group up. My daughter will be 5.5 and in Kindergarten, but is grouped with 2 year olds? :confused:

My little one will be 5 when we sail, and I suspect she won't want to go to Camp Carnival very much, if at all. When she was 3, she had a great time and LOVED Camp Carnival. (It was her first cruise.) The next two cruises, she was 4, and never wanted to go. :eek:

She enjoyed the dance party the first night, but had separation anxiety issues after that. The only way I could talk her into going was to tell her we would just go and check it out, and if she gave if the activities weren't fun, she wouldn't have to stay.

I would stand at the entrance while she looked around, and sometimes she would get interested in the game or story, or another child, so I could quietly slip away. Sometimes she kept her eyes on me the entire time and I would have to check her out of the program because if she even thought I was moving towards the door, she would cry. :(

So I'm going into our next cruised prepared for a number of scenarios:

1. She will make new friends, have fun, and WANT to go to Camp Carnival.

2. She will be content going to camp only for certain activities.

3. She won't want to go to camp at all.

There is plenty to do outside of camp, and while I think she would have more fun in the older age group (they have cooler toys and better crafts/projects), my daughter might surprise me and be happy to have so many smaller kids around to look after. She does love kids younger than her, so she might be content being the "big kid' among the little ones.

Anyway, the point of my ramblings is to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Check out some shipboard and port activities that you both might enjoy, and maybe talk to the rest of your party about trading off babysitting, just in case. (When hubby and I cruised on the Inspiration, one night one of us would go off and see the show or hung out with the rest of the group while the other kept our little one entertained, and the next night we would swap so that the other could have a night out.)

Good luck and have a great cruise!

There weren't that many kids while we were there a few weeks ago. Maybe there were 20-25 kids in the 2-5 room and 20 kids in the 6-8 room? I'm guessing. At different times we would check on them and I'd see kids playing with different toys, whatever interested them. So younger kids were playing with different toys, depending on what looked fun to them. I did walk up during a story once and all of the kids were sitting around the teacher, listening intently. And during a movie, they were all laying down or sitting and watching together. Seems like there were always about 5 teachers in that younger room. I would see 4-5 year olds with face paint and pirate hats and the 2-3 year olds too. I didn't ever see anybody crying or not participating so whatever they were doing, it was working for the kids!

Every night, my son would come home with some craft - bunny ears hat, pirate hate, Mardi Gras mask, etc. The teachers seemed to keep the kids busy. During the late night parties, they would sometimes combine the 2-5 and 6-8 groups for dance parties from what my kids told me. But it wasn't a crowded camp while we were there.

I do know that both are begging us to book another cruise. So we're looking for a winter cruise! :)

It's been a few years since we've used the 2-5 group - youngest son is now 10 - but when he was in that group at age 5 they had one counselor working with the 2-3s and another with the 4-5s. They were all in the same play area, but were effectively divided up. That was a summer cruise and there were lots of kids in that age group - not sure if they can do that on cruises with fewer kids.

Archived