should I fly in the day before?

Pacruiser02

But, my son and I fot a good Hotwire deal at the Westin Diplomat Resort. While it will be nice to spend Christmas with my son, doing so in the hotel room isn't very appealing.

I'm all for people spending time with their families. As such, I don't expect any restaurants, stores, or businesses to be open. So, the question is, where to eat? Where to go? What to do on Christmas Day in Ft Lauderdale?

Phone/email the hotel concierge and ask - the hotel will have restaurants available. You can go to the beach, enjoy the scenery, use the hotel facilities (pool, etc).

There are a lot of people vacationing in Florida over the Holidays, so more is open than you think - many businesses thrive on the "snowbird" crowd.

Okay......this will be my 12 cruise, I have flown the day(s) before four times in different cities. The other times I have taken a red-eye from LAX with no problem.....or embarked at Long Beach. Can there be delays...yes!! Will there be delays....maybe. But by arriving in Atlanta at 7:09am....I have 9 hours to get to the ship. For me...I don't see the need to fly in a day ahead.....but that's my opinon...and thank you for your;)

You've flown twelve times to go on a different cruises over the years. I flew twelve times just last week.

I do this for a living. That's why I made the suggestion.You're correct in saying that the odds of making it to Miami with no delays are in your favor, but all it's going to take is just one tiny time when you don't and your cruise plans are ruined for you to change your tune.

Most people don't learn from other's experiences. They need to jump off the cliff to know it will hurt...

You've flown twelve times to go on a different cruises over the years. I flew twelve times just last week.

I do this for a living. That's why I made the suggestion.You're correct in saying that the odds of making it to Miami with no delays are in your favor, but all it's going to take is just one tiny time when you don't and your cruise plans are ruined for you to change your tune.

Most people don't learn from other's experiences. They need to jump off the cliff to know it will hurt...

Like I said Mr Pilot...thank you for your opinon!! You won't be changing my mind....so keep it moving...okay...thanks:)

Like I said Mr Pilot...thank you for your opinon!! You won't be changing my mind....so keep it moving...okay...thanks:)

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm trying to alert those reading your post.... :) My job is done....

For those of you who can fly directly on a red eye I say go for it. But as I indicated earlier, we get up and head to the airport anywhere from 5am to 7am in order to arrive in Florida at 2pm or as late as 7:30pm (this trip). Why take two days, simply because it takes me an entire day to relax from the 12 hours from when I leave my home to when I get to the hotel, sometimes longer depending on delays.

Snow bunny

Phone/email the hotel concierge and ask - the hotel will have restaurants available. You can go to the beach, enjoy the scenery, use the hotel facilities (pool, etc).

There are a lot of people vacationing in Florida over the Holidays, so more is open than you think - many businesses thrive on the "snowbird" crowd.

cruisintolddler....thanks!

I kind of waffled mightily about flying in the day before (Christmas Day) for a cruise that left on 12/26. However, even as a "Million Miler" on a couple of airlines, I know how one small screw up (especially since airline consolidation started a few years ago) can really throw a monkey wrench into more than just one flight. It doesn't even have to be weather related. It could be crew related, or mechanical, etc to negatively affect everything.

So, being in FLL the day before, on Christmas Day while I wait for the rest of my family to arrive (the day of the cruise), was something I was wondering about.

I got the Westin Resort cheap (under $100). It looks really nice. However, I'm not certain what, if anything, will be open Christmas Day anywhere around the area.

Again, thanks!

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm trying to alert those reading your post.... :) My job is done....

You make an excellent point. Certainly one I find worthwhile. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Yes. I would no matter what time of year. Airlines have thwarted our plans time and time again. It's better to be safe than sorry. My last cruise we had flights booked for the day before and got an automated call from the airlines at 10 p.m. the night before we were to fly that they canceled the first leg of our flight and they automatically removed us from the second leg without even giving us the option to drive to Atlanta and catch the flight to Ft. Lauderdale. We ended up driving all day to Ft. Lauderdale. PA gets lots of snow. I would not chance this at all. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your port city and then you can relax knowing you'll be able to board your cruise ship on time.

I live in Kansas city...our first cruise we flew in the day of. We had the first flight out to Orlando. Of course it snowed the night before and our flight was delayed. We had to run to catch the last shuttle provided by Carnival. My DH went to get the luggage and I ran downstairs to the Carnival desk. They were on the 2-way talking about us saying the flight was delayed but they need to leave with the passengers. I interrupted the clerk stating we are here. She told me we were lucky b/c they are loading the last passengers now. The worst part was getting on the shuttle and having about 50 people stare at you in anger. :eek:They held the entire bus to the last minute waiting on her delayed flight. I learned my lesson and now I fly in the night before. We book through Priceline for a nice 3-4 star for around $50. Trust me it's worth the peace of mind.

We are going on another cruise in March out of Port Canaveral. My plan is to Priceline a hotel in the cocoa beach or port Canaveral area. Check betterbidding dot com for the latest hotels won in the area of your choice.

Archived