Brush with Greatness

I was dining out with friends last week when Howie Long came by. He's enormous, by the way. Seemed very nice. The servers spoke well of him.

Have you ever met someone famous on a cruise? Were they different in person from how you thought of them? Enquiring minds want to know.

Enjoy your Sunday.

My Dad, when going from the US to England during WWII on a troop ship had Jimmy Cagney onboard. Always told the story how he wanted nothing to do with the troops, unfriendly, foul. But when he got ashore and did is USO tour came across as the friendlies tnice guy in the world.

I actually had to google Howie Long to see who he was.

The only famous person we ever had the pleasure of meeting onboard was the Captain and it was nice meeting the person who is responsible for making sure that I made it back home safe and in one piece :p.

But that is not saying I wouldn't mind running into Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Jeremey Shockley or Sean Patin.

GO SAINTS

In this day and age when Hip-hop Rappers are more famous than most. I recount an onboard meeting a few years ago.

Lunch on Galaxy. We are seated with two other couples. We are talkers, so did intros, hi's etc. As the conversation continues one of the wives of the two couples starts telling the story that these two gentlemen were retired NASA employees. If anyone remembers the Apollo 13 flight, with its onbaord explosion and the near loss of the Astronauts...these two gentlemen we a key parat of the story.

These two men were part of the team that figured hout how to convert the purifier to take the carbon dioxide out of the air so the Astronauts would be able to make it back to earth.

Those are heros...that was a great encounter!!!

The way the season is going you may encounter lots of Saints and Cowboys on cruises much earlier this year than anticipated!!!

*lol*

Hope to see the Texans on TV in some playoff games this year.

We sailed with Frm Pres Carter a couple years ago. Seemed nice enough.

We are doing the Anaheim Angel fan Cruise in late Jan.......Yikes, on Carnival and I am sure it will be the " B " team but you never know!!!!

Sorry Ranger fans...It's our turn again next Year...we got to keep the title in California. :)

Mike

We are doing the Anaheim Angel fan Cruise in late Jan.......Yikes, on Carnival and I am sure it will be the " B " team but you never know!!!!

Sorry Ranger fans...It's our turn again next Year...we got to keep the title in California. :)

Mike

Hopefully It will be the Giants and Angels next year so we can make it 2 in a row:D

The way the season is going you may encounter lots of Saints and Cowboys on cruises much earlier this year than anticipated!!!

I would take anyone from either team. :p I just heard that the Saints and Cowboys are playing against each other Thanksgiving Day. For the first time ever, I will be watching football on Thanksgiven Day.

Years ago when I started cruising I went on a NCL Norway cruise that had the superbowl winners . THE 49ers and the Buffalows. They gave out tons of superbowl items during the cruise. Somewhere I got a ball , a pennent, and a book signed by both teams . Maybe now they are colectible . I won the Skeetshoot that was held all week and the way I was treated by the team members , who most of which had never shot a gun you would have thought I was a team member . They all shook my hand and congraudlated me . Back then the skeetshoot was a big deal on the ship . The Captin personally gave me a trophy, a bottle of champaine and the Football signed by the teams . I showed a few how to hold the gun and lead the target.Some of whom had never fired a gun . I think they gave away 50 footballs and 100 pennets. and everyone got a book with everyones name and discription and a place for them to sign. Then each day they had a table set up where you would get 10 diferent team members to sign your items . I only saw that done that one cruise . Ive met a lot of not so famous people though over the years . Just not real big at the time stars . A lot of them you wouldnt hardly recognise though as they were not in their makup. CARL

I actually had to google Howie Long to see who he was.

The only famous person we ever had the pleasure of meeting onboard was the Captain and it was nice meeting the person who is responsible for making sure that I made it back home safe and in one piece :p.

But that is not saying I wouldn't mind running into Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Jeremey Shockley or Sean Patin.

GO SAINTS

LOL....If he showed up at my front door I would still have no idea who he is. My wife teases me about my TOTAL lack of interest in sports unless it involves cars. She used to go to her Dad's house to watch football with him. I'm pretty sure thats the one with the brown kinda pointy looking ball right?

LOL....If he showed up at my front door I would still have no idea who he is. My wife teases me about my TOTAL lack of interest in sports unless it involves cars. She used to go to her Dad's house to watch football with him. I'm pretty sure thats the one with the brown kinda pointy looking ball right?

Yeah but if Carroll Shelby was on board:D

I was dining out with friends last week when Howie Long came by. He's enormous, by the way. Seemed very nice. The servers spoke well of him.

Have you ever met someone famous on a cruise? Were they different in person from how you thought of them? Enquiring minds want to know.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Personally, I don't think I'd call that a brush with greatness. More like a brush with b-list, semi-famousness.

Wanna see a new documentary being made about Mike Ondish and Carroll Shelby?

http://www.demononwheels.com/Trailer.html

Wow Thank You that is something I will want to see when it is released

I am a Chevy man But I respect the Legend Carroll Shelby and all the greatness he created and would love to have any one of the cars he designed

Yeah but if Carroll Shelby was on board:D
A good friend of mine bought a car from Carol Shelby some time ago... O.K. it was 38 years ago when owned a Ford dealership here at Lake Tahoe. He also owned a motel on the South Shore called Carol Shelbys Sky Terrace motel.

When a "celebrity" chooses to take a Royal Caribbean cruise, s/he is there on vacation, just like us.

Leave them alone.

JMO.

I agree. It must be so strange having people stare at you and come up to you when you're just trying to enjoy your free time.

However, if I saw Howie Long hanging out in the Solarium, I'd find it hard not to stare. He's pretty good looking and was an amazing football player. I watch him every week on Fox. :D

I forget what ship it was but I was playing BJ with a nice guy named Michael for a few hours-his wife came to the table next to my wife. My wife wispered to me" Thats Paula"

It was Paula Dean-I did not know who she was until my wife told me. We saw them all week and had a great time with them. We never "bothered" them. I saw her show since then-Pretty good. Very nice down to earth people.

On HAL last spring cruised with Lou Holz. He had a group onboard with him. Ran into him in the bar on the first night, bought him a glass of wine, got an hour long pep talk on tips for raising a family in today's world. He was very thoughtful and a genuine nice man.

You and my husband would get along great. He's a TOTAL car guy, and not the least bit interested in spectator sports. Unlike your wife, though, I'm not really into sports, either, so it works out for us.

Archived