walk to cave tubing

joey shoes

I am considering booking an excursion thru Carnival to do the cave tubing next month. The description says it is a 35 min walk on a jungle trail. Has anyone done this? Is it truly a 35 minute walk, and is it a paved and/or maintained trail, or not? There are some seniors in our group that want to do this excursion but they are unsure of the walk to get there. Any advice?

The walk is on a well maintained trail, hundreds of ppl pass over it every day. You will need to carry your tube on this walk. It will take at least 35 minutes to walk the trail depending on how much time you spend sight seeing and taking pictures. It is not very steep, but there are some inclines uphill/downhill through out the walk. You can rent water shoes that are good for the terrain, they only cost a couple bucks to rent.

I am considering booking an excursion thru Carnival to do the cave tubing next month. The description says it is a 35 min walk on a jungle trail. Has anyone done this? Is it truly a 35 minute walk, and is it a paved and/or maintained trail, or not? There are some seniors in our group that want to do this excursion but they are unsure of the walk to get there. Any advice?

it is big river stones (bigger than a golf ball) wear an okd pair of sneakers because water shoes did not have good enough soles and killed my feet. yes it is a 35 minute walk, with some up and downs,

it is big river stones (bigger than a golf ball) wear an okd pair of sneakers because water shoes did not have good enough soles and killed my feet. yes it is a 35 minute walk, with some up and downs,

Very well put! My feet hurt for a couple days after this as I just wore "water shoes" and my feet were actually bruised from the hike! I would recommend bringing a pair of old gym shoes for the hike to cave tubing and a pair of water shoes or sandals to wear on the bus ride from the port. then I would "donate" the shoes to the trip company for others to use/rent in the future!

I would not make the hike in water shoes though!

Long walk with rented water shoes (slim sole), carrying your tube for 35 minutes...is there another way to get to the entry point?? That does not sound like relaxing fun:eek:

The river is basically in the middle of the jungle 40 miles from town in a 3rd world country. It's Not Disney World. They don't have handicap/wheelchair access, or shuttles. It's a long walk through semi-rough terrain, carrying a big tube, and the water is pretty cold. A couple of woman in my group couldn't even sit in the tube without flipping over.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

One more question: Is there a place to store a change of clothes? I would assume that at minimum, i would want a towel and a dry change of clothing when i get out of the river - are there lockers to rent or anything like that, or do i have to float down the river with everything?

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

One more question: Is there a place to store a change of clothes? I would assume that at minimum, i would want a towel and a dry change of clothing when i get out of the river - are there lockers to rent or anything like that, or do i have to float down the river with everything?

I bought $10 water shoes from Sports Authority before leaving - they held up great and my feet weren't aching at all after the hike. Maybe try checking out some new water shoes at your local sports store instead of renting them at the cavetubing site. Yes, it's about a 30 minute walk - I thought the hike itself wasn't too extreme but at the beginning, we had to wade through the river for a few minutes. Man, that was cold! Depends on your mobility though - as someone else said, this is definitely not Disneyland - you are pretty much on your own for the entire hike.

Yes, there are lockers for rent - think it was a few dollars. They give you about 15 mins before tubing to get a locker and change, so you can definitely bring a change of clothes and a towel.

You keep all your stuff in the bus. They tell you that it's locked or the driver stays with it. Everyone on our bus kept all their belongings there and had no problems. They do have a place to change however it was a little primative..

A group of 4 of us did this after zip-lining last Wednesday. The walk was far! At least 35 minutes, maybe more. I was shocked at how long it was and not overly impressed with that considering they didn't feed us lunch between the two excursions and we were starving!!! I didn't find the actual tubing worth the long walk personally... but that's just me. I don't think anyone elderly could do it. We are all 40 or under and go to the gym and I found it exhausting - maybe because we had just zip-lined 8 times before??

Archived