St. Thomas with kids

Quincella

Has anyone done this port with kids? Mine will be 3 and 8 when we sail, but we haven't decided yet between Eastern or Western Caribbean. Have done Western, would love new scenery, but I've read that the Eastern Caribbena, specifically St. Martin and St. Thomas, aren't as interesting for little ones.

Thoughts?

I don't know if this will help...While we've never been, we are planning a visit here via the Destiny in May. So far, I'm thinking the Godfrey Tour is the way to go. Apparently he will pick you up at the ship at either 9, 10, or 11, then he drops you in town for shopping. At 11:45 you meet at a designated spot. From noon to 2 pm he drives you around the island. One of the things you see is "Bluebeard's Castle". (He has a web site - check the Godfrey Tours beach suggestion thread here.) There is a stop for shopping and banana daiquiris. Then, from 2 to 4 he leaves you at a beach (one of the options is Coki Beach, which apparently has good snorkeling from shore, and is next to Coral World in the event it rains.) Then at 4 he picks you up and takes you back to the ship.

One of the questions I had was whether he would pick me up earlier for shopping, and DH & kids later. Also I'm not sure how to deal with feeding the kids lunch. Posted another thread hoping for a response, but nothing yet.

From what I've read, taking the ferry to St. John's is also another popular trip, and there are beaches which are really child friendly. Apparently the trip is about 45 minutes, and, depending on where you dock, can be either just a ferry ride or a combination taxi/ferry ride.

I expect others who have actually done this could be more helpful. Just trying to share some initial thoughts.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!

I forgot to mention that we also did the western on our first (and to date, only) cruise. We have a 6 and 2 year old. In looking at this itinerary (southern), I have found that there seems to be something for my kids in every port. Hope my research proves true!!

I,ve been to St.thomas many times and will be in the same predicament as you come Nov 6. We are taking our newly 3 and 5 year old boys with us. I would say godfrey tours except for the shopping part of the tour. If I could arrange godfrey to pick us up for the tour and drop us off at the beach that would be wonderful. So for right now I think we will hire a Taxi to take us to Magens bay for the morning or afternoon. Another thought is just hiring a taxi and do a little tour of the island and spend some time at the beach. Usually the taxi will wait for you at the beach, but if not set a pickup time. Also lots of taxi's at Magen bay. And if your worried about shopping, they have the same store's at the pier as in town. Havensight mall.

Although you can choose between a few different beaches to be dropped off at by Godfrey, don't expect too personalized service for his general safari tour. If you want a specialized itinerary you may want to contact Godfrey about a private group van tour. It is what I am doing for the 8 people in my family next time in. It will be about $40 per adult which is twice his going rate ,but this way we can decide where we want to go and how long we want to be there. You won't have that luxury with the general tour. Can't be too picky for $20.00 which is one of the best deals going as it is.

Let me just start by saying this is probably my favorite port. I have been to St. Thomas and St. john. The shopping is great and the beaches are some of the best in the world. Know add in the children... my kids are older and have not been to this port. My suggestion is to get off the boat and take the ferry to St. John to Trunk bay. This is a national park it is pristine. The water is calm and clear. I sat alittle over waist deep while the pelicans dove in the water behind me to get the little school of fish that were swimming by. Then on your return you can swing into town for an hour or so to hit a few shops and back to the boat. This is the place to buy jewelry, so save some money and get yourself alittle treat. If you want more specifc info, let me know and I'll go into detail, but this is definatly a place to enjouy the beach.

Hello,

In my opinion a taxi tour is better for older children and adults. If your 2-4 year old can sit still on a bench (with no seat belts) for 1.5-2 hours and happily enjoy taking in scenic views and listening to island history, then great do it. If they are going to getting frustrated after 10-20 minutes, bored... save them the frustration, yourself and the other 20 passengers and take the little ones to the beach via taxi and let them run around, build castles etc. Or take them to Coral World or Atlantis Submarine (if they are tall enough, there is a height minimum).

Whatever you decide - have a great time.

--Islander

Archived