antarctic on princess cruise

diane1964

:confused:princess has cruise only cruising around antartic, no landing. Question: will they have tours organized by ship ( charge of cause) on life boat to give passengers a chance if they wish to pay and wish to land? if yest how much roughly? for how long? if no land even by life boats, can you see a lot by just cruising around? if yes, what can you see? any advice? thanks inadvance.

progress.gif

• 4 weeks later...
:confused:princess has cruise only cruising around antartic, no landing. Question: will they have tours organized by ship ( charge of cause) on life boat to give passengers a chance if they wish to pay and wish to land? if yest how much roughly? for how long? if no land even by life boats, can you see a lot by just cruising around? if yes, what can you see? any advice? thanks inadvance.

progress.gif

We were on the Star Princess in January 2009 and spent 4-5 days cruising in Artarctica. No landings allowed -- too many passengers on the ship and such a large ship cannot get as close to land as the smaller ones. We knew in advance that there would be no landings, but went anyway as we did not, at that time, see us having an opportunity to return on a smaller ship -- Xiomara cannot handle rough seas and certainly the feeling of rough seas is greater on smaller ships. We did have one day of rough seas, but I was able to handle the day easily. All that said, the scenery was spectacular!!!! Much more spectacular than Alaska, which I love. I just booked a cruise on the MV Plancius, departing Ushuaia, Argentina on 26 March 2011, cruising to Antarctica (with landings likely) and then on to the South Orkney Islands, South Georgia Island, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha, St.Helena and Ascension Island (arriving on 24 April 2011) -- only 112 passengers. Likely to be the adventure cruise of my lifetime. My wife will not be joining me, due to concerns about heavy seas. But I will, hopefully, set foot on the Antarctic Continent -- my last continent. Gene

• 11 months later...

progress.gif

Check the Punta Arenas shore excursions. They may offer it there. It is listed as an optional shore excursion but it would depend on the time in port for your particular cruise. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Check the Punta Arenas shore excursions. They may offer it there. It is listed as an optional shore excursion but it would depend on the time in port for your particular cruise. Good luck.

HAL offers a $$$$ flight where you spend 4 hours on land, Not sure if Princess has similar or if they offer just a fly over.

• 4 weeks later...
HAL offers a $$$$ flight where you spend 4 hours on land, Not sure if Princess has similar or if they offer just a fly over.

Looks like Princess offers a 2.5 hour one way and then onto land for 4 hours. I checked into it and this one excursion was 3K :eek: - more than my balcony cabin fare cost - YIKES!

Which puts the additional cost of a 'landings' cruise into perspective! These flights are also the most-often-cancelled of HAL's shore excursions so anyone wanting to land may find their cruise+flight option leading to severe disappointment.

Which puts the additional cost of a 'landings' cruise into perspective! These flights are also the most-often-cancelled of HAL's shore excursions so anyone wanting to land may find their cruise+flight option leading to severe disappointment.

Not only that, but if they cannot get you to Antarctica, they may fly you somewhere else for a cost that is not disclosed. Well, that was the deal breaker for me, if I wanted to go someplace else not mentioned for a not agreed on price I can do that anywhere. If I am paying top dollar for 10 hour excursion to a specific destination, that's what I expect. Not for a substitute location that I may not be interested in or willing to pay to visit.

Archived