Passport Question

dmlee1990

At which point one calmly asks the clerk to ask for their supervisor or the ICE official in charge. Either of those two will re-instruct and re-educate the incorrect clerk.

The problem is that it does no good if the carrier, whether airline or cruiseline, has its own rules that are more stringent than the actual legal requirements...and some of them do. It's important to check the individual carrier's rules and not assume that just because it's legally permissible to enter a particular country the carrier will allow you on board.

The problem is that it does no good if the carrier, whether airline or cruiseline, has its own rules that are more stringent than the actual legal requirements...and some of them do. It's important to check the individual carrier's rules and not assume that just because it's legally permissible to enter a particular country the carrier will allow you on board.

I know an example of this. American Airlines won't allow you to change planes in Brazil without a Brazilian visa even though you don't need one if the plane you are catching leaves on the same day....I flew TAM and they allow it without the visa. The problem is if you call the call center, they will give you a canned answer while they actually may do something different at the port or embarkation....

I know an example of this. American Airlines won't allow you to change planes in Brazil without a Brazilian visa even though you don't need one if the plane you are catching leaves on the same day....I flew TAM and they allow it without the visa. The problem is if you call the call center, they will give you a canned answer while they actually may do something different at the port or embarkation....

On the cruise line end, I saw one luxury line stating on its Web site that it was requiring US citizens on closed loop North American cruises departing from the US to have passports despite DHS rules allowing the use of a birth certificate and photo ID.

Archived