St Martin Regatta--must it be booked through the ship? Any recs for private sailing?

moondoggie

I love to sail, and am very interested in this shorex--is there a way to do it without the ship? Would like a smaller crowd--loks like that boat is packed.

Or, has anyone done a sail (or sail and snorkel) on a smaller privately owned boat--recommendations welcome!

Thanks to all.

moondoggie

When we did it on St. Thomas, there were only 4 of us, plus the 2 crew. Not sure if that photo is representative of the St. Martin experience but I too would like to know. The race was super fun, man those boats can heel!

The Regatta on St. Marteen is not like others. The reason the boat looks so full is because it is a fabulous experience. First they take you to their area and assign jobs to each person. Then they teach you the job you will have to do. YOU are the crew. Eighteen people on each of three vessels. Then they race. What fun it is. Free cold beverages on the boats ( I know, I was the bartender ) . When the race is over, back to shore for drinks and some shopping at their place and then back to the ship.

My husband and I did it about ten years ago, and my adult married children did it in 2008 and they loved it.

\And yes, now you have to do it through the ship.

Wow 18 people on each sailboat??! I have to say I think 4 was much more fun as we had more to do (did not need to share). But in St. Thomas, we did function as the crew and raced the other sailboat being crewed by another cruiseline, which added to the fun.

Archived