Spirit Review posted

appletx

I have not posted a review of my experience on the Norwegian Spirit previously because I know that most board pariticipants seem not to want to hear anything negative about their preferred cruise lines. However, in light of the glowing review of the Norwegian Spirit on today's web page, I would like to add my personl bit of reality about the Spirit.

We chose to book the Spirit cruise because it was going where we wanted to go (Quebec) when we wanted to go (October of last year) at a much lower cost than the other option (HAL). We had previously cruised with HAL and found the hospitality and service to be excellent. But for a $1000 savings per person on a veranda room, we could do with a little less service. What we could not handle was the black mold growing in the observation lounge. I was sitting in the forward corner of the lounge waiting for friends when I became aware of a very pungent odor. Soon my nose and throat were irritated and I had a headache. I looked around for the source and saw that the carpet in that area was covered in black mold.

I quickly moved to another area. I soon realized that the whole room was permeated with the black mold odor. I also could smell it in my bathroom, although it was not visible there. Anyone who has lived in a humid climate knows that black mold can be very dangerous to breathe for any length of time.

When I received my end of cruise survey and they asked what one thing I would change I told the to "remove the black mold." I hope that they have cleaned up this ship. It is inexcusible that they would ever have exposed passengers to such a filthy environment.

While the staff were very nice and helpful, the hospitality and service were no where near the HAL level. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed. Next time, I will pay the premium and enjoy the service of HAL, or perhaps try another line. I did find the food on the Spirit to be as good or better than HAL which prides itself on its food. I have not found cruise food to be particulary exciting generally, but then if I am seeking a great dining experience I will just go to New Orleans or some other city known for its cuisine. I also found "freestyle" cruising to be a mixed experience. The "dine anytime, anywhere" policy was, in reality, dine any time you are willing to wait in a long line and wherever the line is shortest - or dine very early or late.

Overall, we got what we paid for and we saw some incredible ports at the most beautiful season of the year.

I do hope the mold issue is cleared up soon, definitely was not present in May of '09 (although that was after a recent dry dock). It is also shocking considering they just received a 100% on a recent health inspection. It is unfortunate that you had to be on a sailing with such a mold problem, maybe you could have made a comment earlier in the cruise to the hotel director staff and it may have even been taken care of during the sailing (I have seen small patches carpet being replaced during port days for instance). Regardless, that is definitely a legitimate complaint and it would be wrong for anyone to flame you for pointing out the mold issue.

that is definitely a legitimate complaint and it would be wrong for anyone to flame you for pointing out the mold issue.

a) if it's true

b) if it's not a misperception.

Black mold is very dangerous, so much so that I'd guarantee OP wasn't the only person sickened by it. This in turn leads me to suspect it wasn't black mold, to begin with.

The notion that water was inside the Spinnaker lounge,long enough for black mold to take hold is a bigger concern.

It might have been mildew, not nearly as critical, but also the result of dampness / humidity.

c) if there REALLY was black mold, which spreads very quickly...then I don't understand why you didn't post IMMEDIATELY, so that people with compromised immune systems, or asthma, or lung disorders, might know to...at a minimum....avoid the Spinnaker Lounge.

But, I'm glad that as soon as a positive review was posted, you were able to finally share your story.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have not posted a review of my experience on the Norwegian Spirit previously because I know that most board pariticipants seem not to want to hear anything negative about their preferred cruise lines. However, in light of the glowing review of the Norwegian Spirit on today's web page, I would like to add my personl bit of reality about the Spirit.

We chose to book the Spirit cruise because it was going where we wanted to go (Quebec) when we wanted to go (October of last year) at a much lower cost than the other option (HAL). We had previously cruised with HAL and found the hospitality and service to be excellent. But for a $1000 savings per person on a veranda room, we could do with a little less service. What we could not handle was the black mold growing in the observation lounge. I was sitting in the forward corner of the lounge waiting for friends when I became aware of a very pungent odor. Soon my nose and throat were irritated and I had a headache. I looked around for the source and saw that the carpet in that area was covered in black mold.

I quickly moved to another area. I soon realized that the whole room was permeated with the black mold odor. I also could smell it in my bathroom, although it was not visible there. Anyone who has lived in a humid climate knows that black mold can be very dangerous to breathe for any length of time.

When I received my end of cruise survey and they asked what one thing I would change I told the to "remove the black mold." I hope that they have cleaned up this ship. It is inexcusible that they would ever have exposed passengers to such a filthy environment.

While the staff were very nice and helpful, the hospitality and service were no where near the HAL level. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed. Next time, I will pay the premium and enjoy the service of HAL, or perhaps try another line. I did find the food on the Spirit to be as good or better than HAL which prides itself on its food. I have not found cruise food to be particulary exciting generally, but then if I am seeking a great dining experience I will just go to New Orleans or some other city known for its cuisine. I also found "freestyle" cruising to be a mixed experience. The "dine anytime, anywhere" policy was, in reality, dine any time you are willing to wait in a long line and wherever the line is shortest - or dine very early or late.

Overall, we got what we paid for and we saw some incredible ports at the most beautiful season of the year.

I can understand why you were hesitant to post as your experience was quite different than most who cruise the Spirit. YOu are aware that CDC just gave the Spirit a 100 rating aren't you? I guess the black mold problem must have been solved as these are the types of thing CDC look for when rating ships.

AS for comparing NCL to HAL. Both are great lines, we love HAL, but love the crew on NCL as they have more energy. So do the passengers. We did find the service on HAL to be outstanding and we happen to like the food better. Of course food is subjective.

I do wonder, (I know what you said) why you would bother to post this more than a year after your sailing. I don't think it serves any purpose.

Nita

a) if it's true

b) if it's not a misperception.

Black mold is very dangerous, so much so that I'd guarantee OP wasn't the only person sickened by it. This in turn leads me to suspect it wasn't black mold, to begin with.

The notion that water was inside the Spinnaker lounge,long enough for black mold to take hold is a bigger concern.

It might have been mildew, not nearly as critical, but also the result of dampness / humidity.

c) if there REALLY was black mold, which spreads very quickly...then I don't understand why you didn't post IMMEDIATELY, so that people with compromised immune systems, or asthma, or lung disorders, might know to...at a minimum....avoid the Spinnaker Lounge.

But, I'm glad that as soon as a positive review was posted, you were able to finally share your story.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It might be possible for the black to have been there when he sailed, but again, remember the Spirit just got a 100 from CDC. We sailed her not too long before the OP did and we didn't notice any mold anywhere.

Oh well, at least he has now gotten this off his chest.

Nita

Archived