Rome to Civitavecchia by train

bunkrest

I'm hoping someone could help me make my mind up.

I've looked at the trains that run between Rome Termini and the port and it seems I have a choice....Intercity direct no stops or local that stops about 8 times but obviously takes longer.

My dilemma is, I have googled the intercity train and (I can't remember which one)a trip adviser type site said "the intercity train is cumbersome"

Has anyone taken this journey?

Once on the train,can I keep my suitcase near me?

Thanks in advance....chow.

I used the train for a day trip to Rome from Civitavecchia.

The local trains are fine, more frequent and cheaper than intercity trains. Your suitcase can be kept reasonably close to you.

Do bear in mind that the station at Civitavecchia is about 10 minutes (level) walk to the edge of the harbour. Cunard provided a shuttle bus from the edge of the harbour to the QM2. We were there with QV (on her turnround day) and I seem to remember that there were shuttle buses to the QV from the same place.

We took the one that made stops from Civita.... to Rome,and back the same day, you have to keep your luggage with you.!! There are no porters or checked luggage. Some people had too much, they could not handle it without a struggle. As the train got more full, they were sitting on it and clogging up the aisles.

But if you each have 1, it should be no problem whichever train you choose.

Then you can either take a taxi or walk to the port entrance. The walkers looked like they wanted the taxi after a couple of blocks.:p

Don't know which train to choose - the difference in the time is no big deal. A couple of minutes stop at each town does not add up to much. It is pretty scenic, parts in farmland and other parts along the coast. We just got on the next one that came along to our destination.

Enjoy,

M.A.

But for day trip C'Vechia to Rome (we board QV tomorrow). I would never take train with bags Rome-Port. Above posters correct! Long walk Rome main station, and problem C'Vechia station to ship! Trains every 30 mins, express only 10 mins shorter.

Best try to find cab share via your cruise Roll Call

D

If walking short distances on flat ground is not a problem, if you know how to pack (one suitcase) and if you are experienced with European trains, it is very easy to do.

We have done it at least 3 times, both ways, from Termini to port and from port to Termini. It was not hard at all and we would do it again.

Archived