Wetsuit needed in Caribbean in late November?

hmp2z

Hi! We're going to be in Belize, Honduras, and Costa Maya in late November, and I'm wondering whether I need my wetsuit for diving, or whether I can get by with a skin. Any thoughts from those with experience diving here this time of year?

Thanks!

Heather W

Hi! We're going to be in Belize, Honduras, and Costa Maya in late November, and I'm wondering whether I need my wetsuit for diving, or whether I can get by with a skin. Any thoughts from those with experience diving here this time of year?

Thanks!

Heather W

Hi Heather, i can't help you with the diving part because we just snorkel, but we just got back from Belize ,Honduras ,Cozumel and grand cayman and the water was perfect and the snorkeling awesome. Have a great time, i wish we were going back.

It depends on how much diving you will do, how many days, and what depths you plan to dive. I dove Costa Maya, Roatan, and Grand Cayman last December and wore a diveskin and a 3 mil suit. I was very comfortable. At the same time, I saw people in 5 mils and people in swim suits. It all comes down to your personal comfort. I'm good in a 3 mil and my diveskin down to 70 degrees and have worn both to 84 degrees and was not too hot once in the water.

Thanks!

Heather W

Most people we dive with wear a 3mm shorty but like others said your comfort level might be different than ours. The water is usually around 80* maybe just a little less at this time of the year. A lot of people tend to get chilled as they return to the dock after a dive more than while in the water. just my 2 cents ;)

Thank you for all of the replies! We're going down no more than 60 feet, since we're only Open Water certified, and I've got ear problems under water. I only have a 5 mil wetsuit, so I guess I will bring that along with my skin, and see which works best for me. I should have a good idea after our first dive, I'm hoping?

Thanks again!

Heather W

Age is a factor as well. Youngsters seem to tolerate the cold better than those of us in the 50+ range. The older we get the more insulation DH & I seem to be adding on dives. I always say more is better. There's no point in being uncomfortable plus hypothermia contributes to DCS.

Thanks!

Heather W

Hi Heather,

I'm a female also and I wouldn't dive with anything less than 5mm in the winter. My hubby however can get away with just a shorty.

It sounds like you're going to have a fun holiday. Enjoy the diving!

I'm also a girl diver - used to dive in a 3mm shorty and was always cold on the second dive. One of the shops we dove with last year had his wife's 5mm full suit on the boat and I tried it out - it was heaven! Ordered my own off Ebay for my upcoming cruise - can't wait to be nice and snuggly warm underwater

I've been diving for 30+ years ... many hundreds of dives

I'm going to northern Bahamas Friday

I'm taking my 3mm

you might not need a suit, but note that most local dive masters wear one.

Body temp minus water temp equals . . . . water temps in Canaveral are running in the 80's right now. We are right on the Gulf Stream.

Archived