Cabo San Lucas Journal Entry

celem

For what it is worth, below is my journal entry for Acapulco, Mexico while on a Panama Canal full transit cruise on the Celebrity Constellation:

2010-01-15 - Cabo San Lucas

We took the tender into port for our short stay here. The city is modern around the waterfront with many US chain businesses and a plethora of street vendors and tour hawkers. We meandered toward the Post Office to mail our fifteen postcards. We found it despite it being very nondescript, but enjoyed the walk as it was outside of the tourist area. The mall next door looked like it was ripped out of the United States and plopped here. We ended up eating lunch at the bayside restaurant Alexander's and were served by Carmello, who had lived in Clayton County Georgia for nine years. my wife said that the margarita was strong and good, as was my Pacifica beer. She had calamari and I had fish tacos. Both were excellent. For dessert we ordered a flan and it was probably the richest and best flan that we have ever had. Carmello was a friendly man with a sense of humor. When we stood to leave, my wife engaged in conversation with some ladies at a nearby table. I turned and saw Carmello with a bag over his shoulder and I said "are you also leaving?" He motioned in silence with his finger to his lips and grinned while lifting the bag. I realized that it was my wife's and that Carmello wanted to see if my wife would realize that she had left it behind. She failed and Carmello handed it to her after a couple of minutes with a laugh. Alexander's restaurant and our waiter Carmello were a highlight of the day.

While wandering back we encountered a friendly Mexican man named Lazarus with whom we chatted for twenty minutes or so, given that his boat charter business was idle at that time of the day and we all had nothing better to do than chat. He described his favorite recipe for cooking fish to make fish tacos: Pour garlic, some olive oil and achiote seeds in a pan and cook on a charcoal grill until the garlic is done and the oil is red. Add a whole fish, turning once. Then pick off pieces to place into your soft tacos. His description made us hungry again. We found the people here to quite friendly and engaging.

We shopped some and took the tender back around 3PM, the last being at 3:30pm.

After a rest on our balcony, we went to a hot tub on deck 10. The outdoor pool's water felt frigid but my wife alternated between its frigid water and the hot tub. Next we shifted to the thalassotherapy pool before returning to the cabin to shower. We had decided to skip the Main Dining Room (MDR) and ordered drinks to be delivered to our balcony so as to relax before eating at the buffet on deck 10. The buffet was rather deserted. It seems that we were rather unique in avoiding the MDR this evening. We ate stir-fry and were joined at our table by Ed and Patty, who occupied the cabin next to us and whom we befriended on the first day - meeting over the railing. After eating we tried to catch the end of the show but were too late. We then migrated to the Cova Cafe to listen to the excellent string chamber ensemble from the Ukraine.

CaboFishTacos.jpg.3165d76c8a3749ea30e8b3bb6deca414.jpg

CaboSanLucas1.jpg.b67d31fd8fb38f09457983c9b550f8b8.jpg

CaboTenders.jpg.2d39fa2b59108846403b21f16264f22a.jpg

Archived