What Kind of W/C Do You Take or Rent???

gram2trips

My husband uses a power chair but I would like him to be able to go to Blue Lagoon with us (grandkids & me) so I thought of renting a w/c. Any suggestions as what would be best to rent & where. We are traveling on NCL in March. I have seen what is called a transport w/c. My husband is a big guy & weighs in about 330.

My husband uses a power chair but I would like him to be able to go to Blue Lagoon with us (grandkids & me) so I thought of renting a w/c. Any suggestions as what would be best to rent & where. We are traveling on NCL in March. I have seen what is called a transport w/c. My husband is a big guy & weighs in about 330.

Particularly since your husband is "a big guy and weighs in about 330", you do NOT want a transport chair! They are very hard to maneuver, the person in the chair has no ability to move himself, they don't work well at all on carpeting, or outdoors on rough pavement or unpaved surfaces.

They're meant to "transport" people -- patients, usually -- on tiled floors.

I use a power wheelchair on the ship and in ports when I can get directly off the ship and to shore -- Not where I have to be tendered -- get into a smaller craft and the smaller craft takes me to shore. I am in my manual wheelchair to get through the airport and on to the ship.

As for renting any mobility equipment -- you need to check with the cruise line. I see you're on NCL? The last time I cruised with them, about 2 years ago, they had an exclusive contract with CareVacations. YOu have to call the NCL special needs department and arrange with them to work with CareVacations to have whatever kind of chair you want to be in your cabin when you arrive on the ship. Then you simply leave it there when your cruise is over.

Since your husband already uses a power chair, you've reserved a handicap-accessible cabin?

Have a great cruise!

uppitycats, thanks for response. i was looking at transport chairs so i will turn my attention elsewhere. his problem is he can't walk off the ship to a taxi. too far for him. nowhere to leave power chair off ship which is a shame. i use a rollator but i don't think he can use it that far. we do have a handicap balcony & i will contact special needs at NCL thanks.

Hi Gram2trips, I had just asked about going to Blue Lagoon. I have a wheelchair and we are renting a scooter for this trip for the first time. I was told that to get to Blue Lagoon you have to take a boat over. I was told it is very difficult to get on the boat with either a Wc or a Scooter. It's a boat you have go down a couple steps in order to board. If your husband can do that then he shouldn't have any trouble. You may want to double check that. I think their is already a Thread for that titled BLUE LAGOON QUESTIONS under the Bahamas topic.

Hi Gram2trips, I had just asked about going to Blue Lagoon. I have a wheelchair and we are renting a scooter for this trip for the first time. I was told that to get to Blue Lagoon you have to take a boat over. I was told it is very difficult to get on the boat with either a Wc or a Scooter. It's a boat you have go down a couple steps in order to board. If your husband can do that then he shouldn't have any trouble. You may want to double check that. I think their is already a Thread for that titled BLUE LAGOON QUESTIONS under the Bahamas topic.

Thanks for reply. I was in Nassau on a girl cruise in Oct. There are 2 different ferries. I figure if I can get him to the ferry in the w/c, he can get on the ferry & sit down with no problem. As long as he has something to hold onto, he also uses a cane. Plus my SIL will be going also. Really want him to be able to go as our grandchildren are going with their mom & dad & I so want him to enjoy their dolphin experience. I will chk out the other thread.

Thanks for reply. I was in Nassau on a girl cruise in Oct. There are 2 different ferries. I figure if I can get him to the ferry in the w/c, he can get on the ferry & sit down with no problem. As long as he has something to hold onto, he also uses a cane. Plus my SIL will be going also. Really want him to be able to go as our grandchildren are going with their mom & dad & I so want him to enjoy their dolphin experience. I will chk out the other thread.

Good luck and have a great cruise

Archived