Has the Splendor changed how you cruise?

Dog Drool

I always have a flashlight on the bedside table whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel, or at strategic locations around my house in the event of a power failure. I also have a supply of energy bars when I travel, although only enough to get me through one or two missed meals. My big question is whether I would want to do a trans-Atlantic cruise. It was one thing for the Splendour to lose power when relatively close to land, but what would it have been like to be in the middle of the Atlantic ocean?

I always have a flashlight on the bedside table whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel, or at strategic locations around my house in the event of a power failure. I also have a supply of energy bars when I travel, although only enough to get me through one or two missed meals. My big question is whether I would want to do a trans-Atlantic cruise. It was one thing for the Splendour to lose power when relatively close to land, but what would it have been like to be in the middle of the Atlantic ocean?

Imagine spending 2 months making the crossing on 60 foot wooden sailing vessel and not knowing if there was another end to get to.

What happened to the Spendor was very unfortunate, but it definitely did not change how my DH and I feel about cruising. I like the idea of packing a few protein bars and we always carry two flashlights with new batteries. I would look at it as an adventure and hope for the best. I agree with the poster who said "go with the flow.":)

Well, there are alot of ships out there in the middle of the Atlantic. It is not as lonely as it seems.... It might take awhile, but they would reach you in a suprisingly short time.... freighters, military, oil related - and other cruise ships .... and on and on. But you would probably have to be transfered rather than than towed!!!! I think I would prefer to skip that experience....

Susan

The same thing happened to the QE2 in the 1970s.

Back then, SEA VENTURE came to the rescue and the pax were transfered.

Nowadays, impossible with 4,500 pax.

They should be thankful the fire was put out.

Maglights are the least of your problems when the power goes out. Been there, done that. TWICE>

Instead of asking what the Splendor incident has changed about your view of cruising, you should ask what it shows about the risks you accept in your daily life. I'd say that you might need a flashlight in your own home far more often than on a cruise ship. Perhaps it is prudent to have one availbable in both locations. I'm sure you car is 100 times more likely to breakdown than a cruise ship - are you prepared for that event? What if it is night and the road is empty? A fire can happen in a hotel room - do you know the way out? The Splendor did not highlight any intrinsic problem with cruising - but it sure did highlight the need to be prepaired regardless of the circumstance!

Normally we bring wipes and ziplock bags, but I think we will start putting a kit with our prescription medicines and anything we may need to grab before leaving the cabin in the event of an emergency. We learned that on one cruise but totally forgot on this last cruise we were on. Reading John Herold's blog also stated he wished he had told the passengers to grab their blanket or duvets due to the cold temps outside, so would need to remember to grab a sweater or jacket.

Normally we bring wipes and ziplock bags, but I think we will start putting a kit with our prescription medicines and anything we may need to grab before leaving the cabin in the event of an emergency. We learned that on one cruise but totally forgot on this last cruise we were on. Reading John Herold's blog also stated he wished he had told the passengers to grab their blanket or duvets due to the cold temps outside, so would need to remember to grab a sweater or jacket.

Never know when you will need them, whether on a cruise or at home. I think we will be adding 2 Pocket emergency thermal blankets to our list. http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/camping-gear-198752.html

Joanie

This event won't make me sail any less, and I always pack a maglight, but instead of only taking rechargeable batteries, I will pack extra regular batteries.

What I am concerned about is keeping my insulin cold with no power and after ice has been used up!

Then there is my CPAP, upon inspection, following this incident, I noticed a connection for a DC power supply; I think I'll investigate this further now ------ but cruise less, no way until the kid's inheritence runs out !! ;)

Never know when you will need them, whether on a cruise or at home. I think we will be adding 2 Pocket emergency thermal blankets to our list. http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/camping-gear-198752.html

Joanie

Thanks for the link. Never knew they made them so small and compact yet good for -60 degrees. Wow.

No, it has not changed how I will cruise.

Sometimes I think the media likes to play up the Carnival Splendor story as if it were a full-on disaster instead of the success story it really is: no one died, the fire was brought under control, and the crew did exactly what they were trained to do. The media should be praising all involved instead of hunting for passengers to give an overly-dramaticised sound byte.

No what happen on the Splendor won't change how I cruise.

What happen on the Splendor was not the norm. Think about how many cruiseships that were sailing during the time everything happen with the Splendor?

I just pray nothing of sort occur on a ship that I'm on and I trust that extra inspection of similar engines are done to ensure that nothing like this ever happen again.

I have tossed a small battery operated light in the suitcase. Also a travel pack of baby wipes. :D

Last week on the Noordam some of the cabins were without a/c for half a day. We came back from breakfast, no a/c, just total quiet. Reported it, went onshore, came back and still no a/c.

Come to find out someone decided to work on the a/c while in port...no one let the passengers know.

Hours later, it came back on.

Thank God for the verandah and the cabin door which we opened. Hot air was better than NO air in 90 degree weather.

Perhaps lots of batteries and a couple little handheld fans would have helped those folks...for the time they were "dead in the water".

If a few hours were that bad...consider the "Splendor" time.:eek:

Archived