OT-Laundering silk

minnie76

Ok, so is it possible to handwash in woolite a silk top labeled dry clean or dry clean only? I would never have thought it possible, but I just bought a pair of Italian-made silk pants that said on an attached card - Dry clean or hand wash in cold water and dry in the shade. The label in the pants however only says dry clean. It got me wonder if my silk tops could be washed this way as well. I have been buying a lof silk tops in recent years for work. I usually use the Dryel system and dry clean myself, but would much prefer to wash them if that was possible. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Do so at your own risk. After saying that, I have several silk blouses that say dry clean only and I hand wash them, with excellent results. Cold water, I don't use woolite, just regular laundry detergent and a little fabic softener in the final rinse. I don't wring them out, but place them between towels and press the water out, then hang to dry.

I would have to say it depends on the value of the article. If mine were expensive blouses, I would probably only follow manufacturers suggestion.

I have a lot of silk blouses that I have washed for years now. None of them are lined however. I put them in my washer in cold water, on delicate and use woolite. I hang them to dry and then iron with a hot iron. Some of them I have had for years and so far they look just like they did when I bought them.

I had a basket full of dry clean clothes that my husband machine washed and dried (probably on high heat too knowing him) by mistake one time. Most of the garments survived with no problem. There were a couple of things, one a silk skirt, that didn't make it. But I don't know if it was the regular cycle and detergent or the dryer that did it in. Some of the pants I now just wash on gentle cycle and hang to dry knowing they will be okay. The silk scares me a little, but I have some silk shirts that are machine washable. I wish I knew a way to tell whether they would wash well or not. I have washed a lot of sweaters that said hand wash or dry clean and they all survived. I am beginning to wonder if the dry cleaners are the ones making the clothes we buy:)

I sell a lot of Silk clothing..some with cold/delicate laundry instructions and some with dry clean only instructions.I have washed both and usually the ones that say dry clean only with shirk a little...some shrink a LOT. So take your chances...most vendors put those lables on there for a reason..some cover themselves by saying dry clean only,but some really mean it!

Archived