BEACH we R least likely 2 C nudity

alylee777

I know this question must be geting pretty old to you seasoned St. Martin travelers but my kid seems to have hit puberty this week and nudity is just not going to work. Is there a beach other then Maho(No planes please) where his chance of encountering naked breasts or other naked parts is smallest? I know Orient is out. Divi maybe? Mullet?

Thanks,

Alyson:D

If you go to Orient Beach you will see one of the most famous beaches in the world. Many polls consistently rank it in the top 5 of all Caribbean beaches. Don't miss the opportunity!!

I can vividly recall my first trip to Orient. First we were taken with the beauty of the setting, the powdered sugar sand and the fantastic teal blue water. Almost immediately however Toto and I realized we were NOT in Kansas. We walked by a beach bar and there were people having lunch in the buff. Then as we walked down the beach we passed quite a few topless women. I'd like to say something about their faces, but was distracted. It's clearly a typical French/European culture in bathing. Within 30 minutes we were more focused on the setting, sand and teal blue water. Then we started counting the minutes until we were forced to go back to the ship. Subsequently, over time we have visited almost every beach on the island but Orient is head-and-shoulders above any other.

Indeed, your teenager will react, but an educational program at home before departure will go far in softening the sudden realization that American bathing customs are extremely prudish when compared to the rest of the world. He will quickly realize that other teens on the beach are focused on the water rather than people strolling down the beach in the nude. I'll have to admit however, when some young attractive French topless babe sits on the lounge next to him, he WILL BE DISTRACTED.

Just think of the stories he can tell his friends when he gets back home. "There I was, on the beach with hundreds of topless women and dozens of nude ones". Don't tell him now, but most will be older than his mother.

go to the beach in town, we did this the first time we brought our kids. when we went cruising without them we did orient beach. funny thing though we knew of nudity in aruba but didnt expect it in st lucia and whoa there it was so you can't always plan these things. its pretty hilarious though--the bodies are hardly the best. oh there waas also a topless deck on our ship that my son found so its hardly that avoidable.

I posted his on another question but here goes if you missed it there.

You can be the coolest mom if you take him to Club Orient. There are kids there as well as adults. Can't you imagine what he will tell his friends about your letting him go and there is another side to this.

Let him know ahead of time and hold this over his head to get him to cooperate and behave on the trip. :rolleyes: That way you will have some peace and less complaining of what I going to do? And when he gets home he will really have stories to tell his friends.

Good point steve - there are a lot of kids on Orient Beach - we always enjoyed watching them have their fun. Para-sails, kite-sailing, WaveRunners, water trampoline, always something happening.

Ok

One more question..are there nude kids on Orient beach? I don't mean little kids like 3 or 4 but kids my sons age 11, 12, 13?

That might be weirder then nude adults for him.

Thanks,

A

That just seems like a weird question!

Don't recall seeing any nude teenagers in our two trips (about a month total on Orient Beach), but on the weekends there were a few topless teen girls that I assumed were local French kids - usually with family, enjoying the sun & sand together.

Its not as if people just take off their clothes and streak around the beach bar, it's a lifestyle of their choice. Some folks enjoy the freedom of enjoying the sunshine and warm water in the buff, some folks don't. Then too there are exhibitionists who love to stroll down the beach in their all-togethers.

Given this wide variety of sun worshipping styles, I very much enjoy the fact that St. Maarten encourages personal freedom. I only wish that we in the US were not under the types of political ideological extremes that limit such personal freedom.

kal,

I completely agree with you. I think alot of the body image problems women have in this country would dissapear if there was a different attitude here about nudity. If from the time we were young we saw women of all shapes, sizes and ages feeling free to be themselves on the beach we would be much more accepting of what our own bodies look like.

I personally would love to go swimming in the buff. At this point I am comfortable only in the privacy of my own backyard pool.

pity.

A

Orient in particular is an amazing beach. When a person spends 2-3 weeks at Orient like I do, it presents a fascinating study of human nature. After a few hours, many women tend to embrace the atmosphere and take off their tops. It's interesting to watch their subsequent behavior where it becomes just no big deal. American women in the 40-50 age bracket are particularily anxious to join in. Probably because they have attained a greater sense of personal confidence in themselves.

Unfortunately, for cruisers who are on the beach for only a few hours the Caribbean sun is extremely dangerous. There is always a very pleasant breeze which lulls a person into a comfort zone where they don't realize body parts that have never seen the light of day are being French fried. Guys tend to get the worst of it as they seem to be driven by hormones.

My family and I visited Orient Beach for the first time two weeks ago. We had our 8 year old daughter with us. Prior to going there, we had explained that it was clothing optional and what that meant. We also explained that we weren't sure exactly what it would be like and that it would be a new experience for all of us.

We were sitting on the beach, watching the waves and about 10 minutes later along the shoreline strolled a couple, mid 40's, buck naked. I had actually forgotten is was a clothing optional beach! It's not like there are nude people running amock on the beach, which, honestly I had invisioned just to prepare myself!! :o Yes, I'm a prude but I was not going to miss this beautiful beach again. My daughter just said, oh my. I looked to see what she was referring to, I said oh my, and we both looked in another direction. After they passed, we kind of watched them walk away and had a nice little mother/daughter discussion. We both agreed they had cute little white butts and that it probably felt pretty good walking naked in the warm sun like that. There was a warm breeze and that probably felt nice too. We agreed that since your born naked, maybe that's the way God likes you to be sometimes. It actually turned out to be no big deal for either of us. Luckily for us, that was our experience.

It was a cloudy day and we didn't stay long. Had is been a gorgeous sunny day, maybe it would have wall to wall something else. I don't know. Will I go there again with my daughter, I don't know. But I'm glad we went!!

Robin,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I also have been talking to my son kind of preparing him for the adventure and explaining about different cultures and their ideas about nudity. He seems excited and a bit freaked out at the same time.

I just figure it's a vacation and we will just play it by ear. If he is not having a good time because the nudity is bothering him we will go elsewhere or back to the ship. If it is no big deal to him we will just stick around and play on the beach. I think it will be more of a curiousity to him then anything else.

A:D

g,

did you have the nerve to take a stroll in your birthday suit or did you just enjoy the scenery?

A:rolleyes:

Well, I don't see any visible tan lines left over from the trip. Have another month booked for later this year, so maybe I should get back to you after that.

But I DID enjoy the scenery!

Archived