Indonesian cruise from Fremantle August 30-September 11

oysterfiend

I can't believe we are the only people booked on this cruise in August 30-11 September,

2011, From Fremantle - Indonesia 12 nights,on Pacific Sun

C'mon folks- we have a roll call going but still not takers.

There must be others out there going on this cruise:eek:

I can't believe we are the only people booked on this cruise in August 30-11 September,

Have a look on facebook, both cruises I have found a public facebook event with people who are going... if you arent on give me your cruise code and I will have a loOK. I found the people from these boards to be more engaging but nevertheless there were still some other nice people. Actually found an old friend of my dads from 10 years ago and when I recognised the name I showed him and now they are back in contact.

Have a look on facebook, both cruises I have found a public facebook event with people who are going... if you arent on give me your cruise code and I will have a loOK. I found the people from these boards to be more engaging but nevertheless there were still some other nice people. Actually found an old friend of my dads from 10 years ago and when I recognised the name I showed him and now they are back in contact.

Hey ,

Thanks for the tip

Hey Oysterfiend, we are about to go on our 2nd cruise this year without the benefit of a roll-call. The first was a Bali cruise from Fremantle like yours & the cruise immediately before ours had a great roll-call (I even became an honorary member because I got sick of talking to myself) There are 40-odd people listed on FB for our next cruise in 2 weeks but the roll-call I started is dead as a dodo.

Actually I'm glad I saw your post because I was starting to think people just didn't want to cruise with us LOL

Hey ,

Thanks for the tip

No problems at all, either way I am sure you will have a great cruise! And give it time - it is still early days.

I started a roll call for our Fiji Cruise in 2012 and no one yet - still check every day or to lol.

No problems at all, either way I am sure you will have a great cruise! And give it time - it is still early days.

I started a roll call for our Fiji Cruise in 2012 and no one yet - still check every day or to lol.

We are suckers for punishment aren't we- :p

I check too, not expecting any response other than my own ramblings.:(

I'll get a heck of a surprise one day if someone does post on my roll call other than me:eek:

Hey Oysterfiend, we are about to go on our 2nd cruise this year without the benefit of a roll-call. The first was a Bali cruise from Fremantle like yours & the cruise immediately before ours had a great roll-call (I even became an honorary member because I got sick of talking to myself) There are 40-odd people listed on FB for our next cruise in 2 weeks but the roll-call I started is dead as a dodo.

Actually I'm glad I saw your post because I was starting to think people just didn't want to cruise with us LOL

I am sure they do want to cruise with you- :)

they are just not yet afflicted with the cruise critic addiction.:D

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have been looking at this cruise, have never cruised before and have been comparing doing this or a fly/stay to Bali - we have two young daughter's and not sure just how many families do the cruise thing?

Does all the extra activities and drinks end up making it all much more expensive than it seems? At the moment it seems quite cost effective for a family of four to do a cruise compared to the other type of holiday.

Would appreciate any comments :)

Have a look on facebook, both cruises I have found a public facebook event with people who are going... if you arent on give me your cruise code and I will have a loOK.....

Could you please have a look for me ...i am doing a cruise after oysterfield ..Flowers of Asia ..14Sept N132 ..only a couple of us on the roll call ..thought there would be heaps more :confused: but its early days yet .

Hi, I have been looking at this cruise, have never cruised before and have been comparing doing this or a fly/stay to Bali - we have two young daughter's and not sure just how many families do the cruise thing?

Does all the extra activities and drinks end up making it all much more expensive than it seems? At the moment it seems quite cost effective for a family of four to do a cruise compared to the other type of holiday.

Hi Scrapteddy, how old are your daughters? I am not going on your cruise (unfortunately) but we traveled on the Pacific Sun in September with our 7yo son. He had a fantastic trip and is still talking about it.

The Shark Shack and the other kid's clubs are great with heaps of activities and a great staff. Our son made lots of friends and wanted to be in there all the time in case he missed out on something.

You need to register soon after boarding and take photo copies of your passports with you as this speeds up the registration process. Children over the age of 8 can sign themselves in and out of kids club if you give them permission. All other children must be signed in and out by their parent or guardian (which is why they need copies of your passport, I think).

I also think it's is best to send them on the first day when everyone else is new too, if you wait a couple of days new friendships have been made and little groups already formed making it a bit more difficult for your child socially.

I am sure the whole family will have a fantastic time, you've got a great itinerary.:)

Regards

Jenny

Cheer up, you may have the whole ship to yourself,lol.

That's of course if P&O still have the sun in 8 mths time.

Hi Scrapteddy

We travelled on the pacific sun from Freo to Bali return last Feb. My 2 kids 12 & 10 had a wonderful time. My 12 yo son was not at all interested in the thought of attending a kids club on board, but he gave it a go and that was the last we saw of him! He is still in contact with some friends he made.

The drinks do add up (over 12 days) but really that was the only added cost. We did our own thing at the ports as we found the organised tours to be expensive for a family.

If you don't mind sleeping in bunks, I would strongly recommend this cruise for the family.

I am sure you would agree that happy kids make a happy holiday - my two had a great time, and the age appropriate activities on board were just fantastic. Movies, pizza parties, discos, treasure hunts, dress up parties, mini olympics....they even put on a concert for the passengers on the last day!

Cheers

Mel

Thanks for your replies, my girls are 14 and 12 at the time of cruising - I think it would be great for them and for us to be able to go off and do their own thing and let us off the hook (entertaining them!) We have stayed in Caravan Parks twice and these were good for the same reason but a big cruise ship will be awesome!!

Have a look on facebook, both cruises I have found a public facebook event with people who are going... if you arent on give me your cruise code and I will have a loOK.....

Could you please have a look for me ...i am doing a cruise after oysterfield ..Flowers of Asia ..14Sept N132 ..only a couple of us on the roll call ..thought there would be heaps more :confused: but its early days yet .

We've booked this one too, but aren't sure whether or not we'll be able to go yet. Depends on work. I think we have until mid March to cancel with full refund. Hopefully we won't have to do that! :eek:

Our kids will be 10 and 11, and although they found the PS kids club "boring" compared to the PD one, still managed to enjoy themselves last time. The itinerary is great, and I think it will be a wonderful experience for all of us! :D:D

I'll have to check out facebook, and will join the roll call when our plans are confirmed.

Wow ,

There are actually some people on the cruise.

I haven't been on the boards for ages so it was a surprise to find my thread active.

I don't care if they change from Pacific Sun -as long as we still go-

We ve been on Pacific sun before and it is not my favourite ship but still okay.

If it were to a ship with affordable balconies that would be cool:D

• 4 weeks later...

We did the first Flowers of Asia cruise departed in Dec 19 2009 and it was fantastic, our first cruise! we are thinking about the same one in September this year as we would love to have another day at Christmas Island, the snorkelling was the best we have experienced.

I am sure you will have a great trip and the ports are great.

Cheers

Richard

My first cruise was this same itinerary and we traveled as a family of 4. There were quite a few kids onboard. The drinks making the trip expensive is really up to you - the more you drink the more expensive it gets. To give you some idea of things we usually had 2-3 cocktails each day plus one or two bottles of wine. The kids had cokes and ice-creams. We bought the DVD of the cruise, some jewelry and some duty free alcohol (6 litres actually oops) and our onboard bill was just over $800.

The one thing that i think made our cruise great was we hired private drivers in both Lombok and Bali. This made it great for the kids and we got to choose where we went. In both places we hired a driver, with a car, insurance and petrol for $60 to $65 for the day for the four of us. You really can not go wrong and we were treated like royalty. We gave both drivers about a $20 tip and they were so grateful. In fact i am Facebook friends with one of the drivers still.

The other things to be aware of is the people of Bali trying to sell you stuff at the Port. You need to be strong and say no and keep walking. If you stop you will not get away or they will try to give you small gifts so you will buy. I warned my kids about it so they were not worried. This is another good thing about the private driver as he told them to leave us alone and they did.

This is a great cruise and if you decide to go you will love it. If I lived closer to WA I would do it every year as it was so much fun.

I am considering that Gili Trawang Island tour- spelling probably wrong-8 hours with lunch

Its about $139 Australia each but it looks as though it could get us some where where we can snorkle.

Are there other options for snorklelling?

We want to go to an idyllic beach setting and swim and not be hassled by hawkers.

We are not going to Christmas Island on our 12 night cruise

I am considering that Gili Trawang Island tour- spelling probably wrong-8 hours with lunch

Its about $139 Australia each but it looks as though it could get us some where where we can snorkle.

Are there other options for snorklelling?

We want to go to an idyllic beach setting and swim and not be hassled by hawkers.

We are not going to Christmas Island on our 12 night cruise

Gili Trawangan is great, well this is us having lunch on Gili Meno and it was just perfect. You could probably do it yourself but quite a hassle if its your first time to Lombok and the Gili's

Last year we thought of doing a trip, but was too far, so we just got dropped at Sengigi and really enjoyed the snorkeling, it was a surprise really, but be warned a lot of hawkers, they were OK but very persistent.

The photo of lunch didn't want to upload, but the other one is of The Office in Sengigi art market.

PICT0023.jpg.fc8191990bb4e27d1639f414d3a2562d.jpg

Hi Oysterfiend

We actually went back and stayed for a week at Gili Air, which is the closest island to Lombok and it was beautiful, thinking of doing it again this year, if we don't cruise!!!!

I tried again to post the photo with no success so if you like I could temp you by sending via email?

Just let me know.

Cheers

Richard

I'd love to see photos,

our email address is kawhiabeachsidescape@xtra.co.nz

I feel that going to an island location for a beach day is a real must and even if it is the most expensive tour- I want it.:eek::D

I work in an accommodation (small- privately owned by us) and we see no beach ourselves even though we live on the water's edge.

Glad you enjoyed the pics and are now even more convinced to get to the islands. How are P&O doing the tour, is it by bus then boat, or just boat from the harbour? Its quite a way!!

This is a blog of the Flower of Asia cruise we did in 2009/10 and then a bit of our trip to Gili Air last June.

http://rnmsmaidenvoyage.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Richard

Archived