Free Wi-Fi availabilty in Baltics

clueless2

Just booked a HAL Baltics cruise for next June. I was considering using skype with my iPOD touch to try to call home when in ports. I have read that HAL blocks Skype on the ships. Just wondering how prevalent pubic wi-fi access is in the Baltic cruise ports and if they leave it open to Skype.

If it's not broadly available I won't bother with trying Skype and will just use e-mail to keep in touch with the (grown) kids and use the cell if there is an emergency.

I didn't try in St P but found free wi-fi connections very easily in Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki and Stockholm (very good inside the Vasa Museum). You will have no problem with your Itouch, although I don't know about Skype.

As TMLAalum says, it is particularly easy in Tallinn, which supposedly has more free providers per capita than anywhere in the world.

Helsinki on the T3 tram - worked a treat

as one other poster said in Tallinn on the dock

Copenhagen - there was a park on the waterfront walking back to Langeline (I think)

never tried in St P, just didn't have time

Stockholm - sure I remember my phone beeping down near the ferry stop but again racing around so didn't have time to bother with internet

Warnemunde - limited amount of ree time at the car farry stop in front of the ship, if you don't have a static IP address on an ipad then you can keep logging back in :D

Archived