Selecting Cabins on Islander to Galapagos

We are looking to book on the Islander to Galapagos in Sept 2011. Are certain cabins better to avoid sea sickness? Are there specific cabins you would recommend based on size, location or other reasons or certain cabins to avoid? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

It is hard to find Islander alums because it is small. There is a CC poster named miamimom who recently did this trip - if you can find her through another thread she could probably help you.

We booked this ship for April and I was pretty much flying blind when it came to cabin choice. I'm hoping that we'll be out and about so much that it won't matter, which has been our experience on other small ships.

Wish I could be more helpful.

• 1 month later...

When we booked the islander (for Oct 2009) I booked a second from the bottom cabin. When we arrived, our cabin was still damp from being reworked in dry-dock and we were switched to the cheapest cabin. There was no difference except that we were more to the rear of the boat. In fact, I don't think the staff even knew the cabins were different prices.

Suffice to say, the cheapest was great, and if anything more stable than cabins higher up. No need to spend extra money on the cabin. With Linblad, you're not going to spend much time in the cabin anyway. People we met on the boat had booked the second most expensive which had a solarium. They had to work to spend time in it.

On the cheap level you are also most convenient to the dining room and the launch for excursions.

When we booked the islander (for Oct 2009) I booked a second from the bottom cabin. When we arrived, our cabin was still damp from being reworked in dry-dock and we were switched to the cheapest cabin. There was no difference except that we were more to the rear of the boat. In fact, I don't think the staff even knew the cabins were different prices.

Suffice to say, the cheapest was great, and if anything more stable than cabins higher up. No need to spend extra money on the cabin. With Linblad, you're not going to spend much time in the cabin anyway. People we met on the boat had booked the second most expensive which had a solarium. They had to work to spend time in it.

On the cheap level you are also most convenient to the dining room and the launch for excursions.

Couldn't agree with you more about cabin selection. We too opted for the second to the lowest priced cabin category when we went to the Galapagos in February 2009. The location (cabin 209) was very convenient to everything and there was plenty of storage.

We found that we didn't spend very much time in the cabin at all, sleeping and showering for the most part.

It was a fantastic trip and you can't go wrong with Lindblad to the Galapagos Islands.

Linda

Archived