Destiny review 11/6 /10 - 11/11/10

Indianamale

Pre cruise: We flew in to Orlando from Chicago and rented a car at the airport and then proceeded to the Hyatt Place Universal, which we scored on priceline for $45 plus tax. Hotel was great and distance to Universal was awesome, so I would recommend this hotel to anybody. The next day we then drove from Orlando to Miami via the Florida Turnpike, which was traffic free and hassle free. I did not even mind paying the $13 in tolls. Arrived in Miami to precruise hotel, which was the Hyatt Summerfield Suite. We got the two bedroom trio for $147 a night. I love these rooms, they are so big with two full bathrooms. If you have a group this is definitely the way to stay. I love this hotel, they have a nice pool area and a great breakfast, but the area around the hotel is less than desirable. So if you are looking for big rooms with a nice pool and you do not plan on leaving the hotel, stay here.

EMBARKATION: Arrived at the port of Miami at 10:15 via local shuttle recommended by the hotel for $12 per person. Embarkation was fast and painless. Arrived on the ship at about 11:15. Of course, there were no lines for food anywhere, as we were some of the first on the ship. We started to explore the room, which was one of our best ever as far as location goes. We were in cabin 9187 on the lido deck and it was perfect. A big shout out to my wife for picking this room. So our group had split up and I had found my way down to the sports bar to catch some college football. As I walk in there I see the bartender from behind and I thought to myself he looked a little familiar, low and behold, he turns around and it is Ernie!. Ernie is an awesome Carnival worker. We were fortunate enough to meet him on our cruise last year on the Imagination. Ernie was a drink server then on the lido deck and he was the best server we have ever encountered with Carnival. So image the surprise on both of our faces when we relaized that we have met again. It was a very joyous occasion. So I quickly called my wife on our phones, as they were still working because we were still in Miami, and I told my wife that she needed to gather the rest of our family and hurry up and come down to the sports bar as I had a big surprise for them. They were so happy when they came down and found out my surprise was Ernie. I would like to tell everybody if you go on the Destiny anytime soon please stop in the sports bar and tell Ernie his friends from Chicago said hi. As far as the food goes, we thought most of it was very good. That includes buffets, grill, pizza, deli and the Chinese restaurant and of course the main dining room. We did encounter some lines, but most of those seemed to be worse at the buffet. You just learn to eat at different times, which is never a big deal for us because we are on vacation and the only place we have to be is the main dining room for late dinner.

Ports: Ocho Rios was our first port of call and one that I can definitely do without. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful there, but something has to be done with the aggressive vendors. It was so bad for us, as we had a couple of beautiful young ladies traveling in our group that I actually got tired from trying to keep the people away from them. If I was to go back to Ocho Rios and if things were the same, I would just make that a ship day for me, which would not bother me much at all. Now to the Grand Caymans, which were absolutely beautiful. We had one of the best times there, only wish we were in port longer. We did take the mini bus/taxi, which you did have to wait until they were full or close to it before they left. We went to the beach and had one of our best port days ever just laying out on the beautiful sand and enjoying the crystal clear blue water. Then after that we headed back towards the port and did some tourist things like Margarettiville, which the slide was awesome. Then after a few there the ladies wanted to shop a little. Both they and I felt completely comfortable with leaving them on their own, which was not the case in Ocho Rios. Overall, this was a great cruise. Carnival has a great staff and they keep the ship looking good for as old as it is. I mean of course there are a few things that need to be changed, but these are minor and nothing I would complain about. I am not great at these reviews, as this is my first one, so if I maybe left something out or you had any other questions, please feel free to ask. One more thing, please do not forget to pay Ernie a visit, he is really a great guy and I think he might be heading home shortly for a break for the holidays.

Archived