Ft. Lauderdale in Jan. 2006

KimiCLAS

Setsail: thanks for the info. We're looking for a nice place that our 2 DS's will enjoy & appreciate. It's our first real vacation with our DS's. Hopefully, we'll be able to take them on a vacation of a lifetime.

Mikeyy: I'm planning to bid through Priceline for 2 rooms (1 for DH & I and the other for DS X 2). We've bid Priceline for rooms before - Jan. 2004 - FLL area and we were awarded the Hyatt Pier 66 (4 couples and all had very nice rooms). Second time was San Juan, PR (Jan. 2005 - just DH & I). We "won" the Wyndham - our pre-cruise was less than adequate. Our post-cruise was very nice. We stayed at prices appx. 1/3 of the "rack rate."

Thus, I am planning to bid through Priceline for 2 hotel rooms pre-cruise (we sail on 1/2/06). I always do my research for what hotels are usually awarded through Priceline in what category (4*) and what location (depends). I hope we're lucky this time as well.

It's nice to be able to stay at a facility which rates a 4* for a 2* rate.

Kimi

Mickeyy, check these two web sites out if you have never used priceline before, http://www.biddingforfun.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com both are a great source of information for priceline. Just be aware, once your bid is accepted, you will then be told which hotel accepted your bid and you are basically stuck with it, you cannot cancel or change your reservation, but the money you save is well worth it. Hope this helps, good luck.

I know this is early - but I like to have all the details worked out so that I don't have to worry about them anymore.

Has anyone had any luck bidding for a hotel in FLL this early?

Thanks.

We are also cruising in 06 Star 1/8-1/15. Many websites only allow 330 days out so the rooms are just now up on some of the sites. I would guess that the room inventory won't be released for another few months. I keep watching and waiting.:)

I think I'll just keep "watching and waiting" too. I'll do my bidding week or so to see if I can pick up a great rate. I may go ahead and make a reservation at a hotel just in case nothing pans out through Priceline, though. That way we're covered.

We also cruise in January 06 and I've made cancellable reservations at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale, JUST IN CASE we don't get anything on PL. Always a good idea because you never know what the availability will be and you'd hate to end up staying at a Motel 6.

Of course, as you would imagine, the rate is high - I priced it with 3 people to a room - we are a group of 14 and I have no idea how many will be staying there pre cruise so I booked two rooms with 3 in each, thinking it would end up being 4 in each possibly but I wasn't going to worry about that. I booked directly online with the hotel - $233/night with the AAA discount. If we end up with two couples, or even 3, because the ES does have room to sleep 6 with the sofabed (although I wouldn't want to be the one on it! :) - the price comes out to $86/night with all fees, etc., which for an Embassy Suites is great.

Priceline is a great deal anywhere you go, but it looks like prices can range from $60's-$100's in Fort Lauderdale. Since we are likely to need several rooms, or at least sleeping for several, it might actually be one time where PL wouldn't work so well for us. Since it is so far out, I'm not even going to bid yet, but by late spring will probably start to try.

My thinking is that 7 rooms at PL's rate might actually be more than 3 rooms at the Embassy Suites. That's why I booked something as I did.

Chipster: Thanks for the info. I'm planning to reserve 2 rooms for pre-cruise that are cancellable with no fee. I've found a couple of possibilities but the least expensive is the Comfort Inn on Sterling. I've not heard a lot about it except that it's fairly reasonable ($119.99/noc) and that the rooms are clean, they offer free breakfast & transport from airport to hotel & hotel to pier. That seems really reasonable in FLL in January, 2006. I'm still going to try bidding on Priceline - but we're only there for one night before the cruise so I'm sure that $120/noc for each room would be quite acceptable (considering the prices I've seen for other places).

Let me know if you have any luck later this spring on PL bidding. I'll do the same.

Kimi

Kimiclas, I have stayed at the Comfort Inn on Sterling Road in the past. I also use this as a back up hotel til I get a winning bid on priceline. This hotel is perfectly fine for a pre or post cruise stay. Its nothing lavish, but clean and perfect for what you are looking for. I'd definately stay here if priceline didn't come through for me.

Thanks Vicki & Doone. I'm making our reservations (cancellable) at the Comfort Inn this morning & will keep up my "every 72 hours" bidding on a 4* or 3* in FLL. I'm convinced that PL is as much of an addiction as CC.

Kimi

Well, we were successful in our bid. 4* FLL on 1/1/06 for 2 rooms @ $139.00/ea. Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel. I'm not really thrilled about the price (except the rack rate was $259-299/noc) & I really thought this would be a great place to stay. I stuck to my 4* or Resort level - started in Hollywood area, @ $89/noc then went to Downtown, added Beach and Coral Springs, then Plantation, each time increasing the bid $10.00/noc.

Because we are taking our first cruise with our sons, I wanted a really nice place for them to enjoy - a really nice place that included a pool, nice rooms & facilities & a nice restaurant & a bar (for DH & I). We had reserved rooms @ the Comfort Inn for $100/noc each so I think the upgrade will be great = especially on a holiday weekend.

Good luck to everyone else in PL bidding for hotels!

Hey Kimi, glad to hear you got your reservation, and this far in advance! Makes me think I should get on my tries earlier than I had planned. Waiting for friends to make up their minds about their flights, so am still in limbo though.

Another couple traveling with us likes the idea of staying at the Embassy Suites, so we MIGHT just keep our regular reservation there although I hate paying normal hotel rates after years of PL successes! If we have 2 or 3 couples to a room though, while a bit tight, works out to the same as each having our own room (which as I sit here and type, sounds better all the time! :)

Thanks Doone & Vicki. I'm pleased that I have one less thing to concern myself with (we have a DD who's having some serious problems right now). I probably should have waited, but like I said - I love to work out all of the details way in advance so that all I have to think about is the fun stuff.

I do, however, need to arrange for transportation in FLL from the airport to hotel; hotel to cruise port; and cruise port to airport. Do either of you know what the street address is for Port Everglades? I think I'll probably go with a limo on the first leg (just for the boys - probably cheaper than 2 taxis anyway). I have not researched the cost of taxis for any of the three transports yet, but that's not as important as the cruise, air transport and hotel. I know that when we flew into FLL & then left from the Miami Port it was much cheaper to go by limo (8 people in all).

I cannot wait to go. Sure wish we lived somewhere closer to a port so we could cruise more often :)

Kimi.

Archived