FREE CCL Cruise Too Good To Be True???

SoCalCruiseguy

Just got a call from a marketing outfit on behalf of a "Premium" TA here in San Diego who in return for 90 minutes of our time in order to hawk a vacation club, will give both the wife and I a free 7 day cruise on the Pride that can be used within 18 months. The purported cost is free less the port charges and taxes and we supposedly deal with CCL directly to arrange everything. Would like ask for any assistance from any of the fine folks who patronize the CCL Forum who might have knowledge of this promotion. Simply is it legit, scam or semi-scam? Thanks in advance

tef43, I can assure you that I hold a doctorate in that discipline and preach it often ;) . However, every so often I run into things that turned out to be a pretty good deal. In the case of things like travel clubs you just have to be willing to say no,,, multiple times, tell them you are going to think about it and then walk away with the goodies.

I suspect it's legit but falls under the category of "probably not worth it". There could be so many restrictions. I'll bet a 1a cabin in hurricane season probably is only worth about $299 plus another $225 or so port charges and taxes (per person). I've stayed in some very nice resorts for free in exchange for participating in the sales spiel. Do any of the cruises sail out of San Diego or would there be airfare involved? It might be worth looking into, especially if you can drive to the port, but then again, the schedule might be so restrictive that you can't go when and where you want, so you are out how many dollars for the fees, plus all the other expenses one incurs in such a trip. That's why I think for me, it's probably not worth it to jump thru the hoops to get a relatively small value in return. But some people have lots of time to play around and lots of vacation to take, so it may be right for some people.

The 7 day trips are on the Pride out of Long Beach which is only about an hour or so drive away. Like you I have fallen into some pretty good travel deals unexpectedly and in weird ways over the years. I was thinking the same in regards to the port as well. If I can drive, maybe. If not, definitely not. Given that I am paying 'til it hurts to take my family on the next 7 day CCL junket this summer with 3 staterooms (11 & 2-8's), a relative freebee save for $250 or so in port charges and taxes pp, might not be such a bad thing 1A or not. I guess I'll think about it for a bit anyway.

Tom Martino (The Troubleshooter) had a call about a similar program the other day.

A person went to the spiel, said "no", got their coupon, paid $100, and could never get a date booked. Over a year later and fast approaching expiration she called Tom. The deal was "certain" sailings, which were all unavailable when she attempted to book.

Won't hurt to try, if you don't have to expend any "port charges, taxes, etc" up front.

Archived