What are some good things to do in Belize?

gsu_paintballer

We used this company http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm to see the ruins. It's pretty cool if you're into ruins. It's in a jungle, unlike others we've been to in Mexico. There were several troups of monkeys in the canopy which I really liked. It's about an hour ride to the river, then 45 minutes or so boat ride up the river to the ruins. Worth it if you like to see ruins.

We used this company http://www.cave-tubing.com/ to cave tube. If you do this, it's best to go during rainy season IMO. It was dry season when we did it and that was the most boring excursion I've ever done. The water was so low we were dragging butt except when we were in the caves. That's just my experience....others rave about it. No complaints about the tour operator, we just didn't go during the right time of year.

HTH

Ruins were great but also don't miss the shopping in the mini mall by the pier.

What "Mini-Mall" near the pier did YOU go to??:confused: That poor excuse for a "shopping area" where the main restaurant has most of the items stricken from the menu (because they don't have it), the congestion there (from the 3 to 5 ships anchored there), the people hanging over the wall trying to get you to come out to do a horse and buggy ride through their ghetto and the RUDE shop operators don't sound like the same place!!:eek: Unless your doing an organized excursion in Belize, the pier area SUCKS!! Not even worth the 45 minute trip on the tender to get to the pier. I love the Western Carib...But since I don't really do excursions, to me Belize is a wasted stop. Next time I'm just gonna stay onboard the ship. This is just MY opinion!! :rolleyes:

What "Mini-Mall" near the pier did YOU go to??:confused: That poor excuse for a "shopping area" where the main restaurant has most of the items stricken from the menu (because they don't have it), the congestion there (from the 3 to 5 ships anchored there), the people hanging over the wall trying to get you to come out to do a horse and buggy ride through their ghetto and the RUDE shop operators don't sound like the same place!!:eek: Unless your doing an organized excursion in Belize, the pier area SUCKS!! Not even worth the 45 minute trip on the tender to get to the pier. I love the Western Carib...But since I don't really do excursions, to me Belize is a wasted stop. Next time I'm just gonna stay onboard the ship. This is just MY opinion!! :rolleyes:

I am of the same opinion. I would try an excursion or just stay on the ship!

We have been to Belize 3 times and I would go back again. The first time we did a ship tour which had you go down the River Wallace and see the wildlife, end up at a small ruin. It was very nice. The second time we did cave tubing thru a private company, Major Tom. That was a fun day. Last year we used a private company and went to a Island, from there you could go out on a boat and snorkle or stay and enjoy the beach. If you are into snorkling Belize is the snorkle capital of the world, there are tons of reefs, that's why the ship has to tender.

Belize happens to be one of my favorite stops! Our tender ride in generally takes 20-25 minutes. I would look for a water based activity ( have also been cave tubing and loved that). Belize has the largest barrier reef in this hemisphere, and some of the best snorkeling! Try and find an excursion to Bannister Island if you want some quiet/fun time on a small island with amenities! I met a guide on my first trip to Belize 5 years ago, and kept in touch since; he always has a great day planned for us when we arrive. Like most that live in Belize, he is incredibly proud of his country. We have also been to Caye Caulker, snorkeled a while and had lunch in a small restaurant on the island. Be a little adventurous....don't stay on the ship! And get up early and go out on deck (or your balcony) for the sail in. The ships have to maneuver around the coral reefs....really beautiful scenery on the way in and out of Belize.

Bannister Island (click on any picture to take you to the full album)

2257657670064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2078792090064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2509527700064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2729787150064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Title says it all.

Thanks ahead of time.

I did the Jungle beach break???????? Not sure about the name, but it was wonderful! :D Reason I didnt say we, my DH doesn't like the beach. :confused:

Wish I knew how to load some pics. There were beach lounges galore, water toys, an open bar. Sunshine and shade. Very reasonable too. I booked it thru CCL.

Luv's Crusin'

Happy cruising!

I usually like to do the cave tubing, but last time we did a private tour and went snorkling by the reef (they have the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world) then we went to the mangroves and did some manatee watching, then to Bannister Island. But I read in the news that Bannister Island got washed away by a hurricane this year and is being rebuilt. Anyway, that was a fun tour.

Bannister Island is back in operation! I talked to my friend Ivar on Wednesday and he said they had made repairs and are now open.

Aw, that's great. We got photos of sprouted coconuts while there. That was the first time I'd ever seen coconuts like that. If they all got washed away I hope they get replaced so other people can see some.

We did a "canoe trip through the mangroves and wine tasting". A bus took us to the canoe area, which was a hoot, as only us and one other couple knew how to canoe and we never had so much fun helping out others in group and rescueing them from the banks as they got snagged, capsized, rammed us (thought we had a target painted on the side of our canoe). As we canoed saw many animals and birds. Got to another area and disembarked - boarded another bus which took us to a winery for lunch and wine tasting. Back on the bus back to the pier. We got a wonderful city tour coming and going. It sure opened our eyes to the haves and have nots there.

We had the same thing, the tour guide we had to take us to the ruins would not let the other couple in our van out to shop, said it was not safe, and too many drugs, they insisted, and she (driver) found a police officer in the street, and let them out there, after talking to the officer. told them when she would be back, and to be there, or walk back to the ship.

The little mall area in the compound, was just like all the islands, nothing special.

Not sure what pier you landed at in Belize, but we really enjoy the Shopping Village at the pier in Belize City. Have been there 8 to 10 times over the past few years and always find something new and interesting to enjoy from wood carvings to textiles and beyond.

Have never noticed that there is only one main restaurant there as we have eaten at a few restaurants within the shopping village during our cruises. Our favorite is Wet Lizard that has a great view of the port and bay and serves up the best conch fritters we've ever eaten anywhere --- and we've eaten conch fritters in many a port through the years.

DH & I are not excursion people either but we enjoy the Belize shopping village. Heck, the speed-boat tenders with a 20-minute ride taking you into the pier is an excursion experience on its own and it's free!

Dianne

Check out a few links on Google including this one:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/belize/3284020006.html

Keep in mind that Belize is located in a tropical forest area that can get short downfalls off rain that last for only a few minutes at times.

Have been to Belize many times in January and have not experienced much rain, or any rain, in January.

Dianne

Archived